“Best staff anywhere, & great facilities”

Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview
Ranked #24 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Seattle, Washington
“Best staff anywhere, & great facilities”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

What a great experience. I checked in & discovered that my mattress was going to be too soft (I'd called ahead and asked for a firm bed, because I've had a back injury). I've been in hotels where they couldn't care less, and I've had to sleep on the floor. Not here: Profuse apologies, and everyone immediately went to work on solving my problem. The front office supervisor Jeffrey Rhinehart called around and found a board to put under it, and before I knew it the maintenance crew had put it in and made the bed perfectly comfortable.

And the whole experience was like that. The folks at the bar/cafe were extraordinarily patient and helpful, even when they were slammed and we were dithering. They had a pretty good menu for such a small operation; I had two of their main course salads and both were very good. Nice margarita, too. My room was well equipped and comfortable, and even though it was close to both the elevator and the ice maker, I had no trouble with noise.

Hats off to the staff here. They really treated me like I was the answer to all their prayers. If this is southern hospitality, I'll come down from Seattle more often!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pitchford0209
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Pitchfod0209,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Our staff is dedicated and very resourceful and we love sharing stories of their success in our daily meetings. We are glad that you enjoyed your trip to the South and hope that your travels bring you back to our area in the future.

Beth J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Columbia, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived at 8pm and was promptly greeted with a winning smile by Carmen. She directed me to the Bistro which was open until 10 pm which was awesome because I was starving. Room was decent but I should have asked for a room not facing the highway...I should sleep fine though. So far all is well!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Shargurl,

Thank you for taking the time to provide great feedback for our hotel. Carmen is a great asset to our hotel and will be recognized for your comments in our daily meeting. We have a strong focus on customer service and our associates monitor TripAdvisor for guests feedback and ideas. Thank you for giving our hotel the opportunity to serve.

Mississippi
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel while in town for a funeral. After a day of work and a 6 hour drive, I was ready to relax! As I got ready to retire for the night, I turned the covers back to find a bed bug alive and crawling!!! I immediately contacted the front desk. The attendant at the desk showed absolutely not concern and offered no solution - only to say that they have never had this problem before! Therefore, I asked to be moved to another room. The 4 of us that were traveling had to pack our things and move to another room. A housekeeping lady brought the key up and I showed the bug to her in which she confirmed that it was a bed bug and apologized for the inconvenience (seemingly what the front desk attendant should have done!). That morning on my way to breakfast, I stopped by the front desk to express my concern and to see how Courtyard would handle the inconvenience. The assistant manager began to tell me that she had heard about the incident and would be going up to the room to check to see if it was indeed a bed bug because she had been in the business for 19 years and had never known them to have bed bugs. She suggested that it was probably a beetle or something since they were doing some construction work to the building after the ice storm! Are you serious? I don't care what type of bug it was, it should not have been crawling in my bed!!! Furthermore, with 19 years of experience, you should have far better customer relations/customer service skills!!! She offered no apology or compensation for the incident. When I got ready to check out, I asked to see the assistant manager to see if she had "checked things out" and she was over in the bistro cooking. The clerk told her that I wanted to see her and she told him to tell me that she was cooking. I assured him that I would be contacting Marriott's corporate office to discuss that incident. Before contacting Marriott, I decided to speak with the manager to give him/her an opportunity to address the issue. The manager was appalled by the conduct of the employee and offered to refund the points used for the stay as well an additional 10,000 reward points. Needless to say, I will NEVER stay there again!! I will still he contacting Marriott's corporate office to express my displeasure of the incident!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Beth J,

Dear KIMRJ2,

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to speak with you and provide a resolve. Our hotel prides it's self on customer service and providing a resolve for guests when a problem arrives. Your issue should have been handled differently and as we discussed in our phone conversation the hotel would provide follow up training for all associates involved to ensure that we are looking at the real issue, which is taking care of our guests.

Marriott Guests Relations is always available to escalate issues with our hotels, please feel free to reach out to myself or Marriott Customer Relations if you would like to discuss this incident further. We thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and the opportunity to grow through your feedback.

Best regards.

BethJ
Albertville, Alabama
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed here on a business trip. Drove to the property at night, with GPS, and it was still hard to find. The front of the hotel is actually the back, as it faces away from the main drag. The negatives: hard to find, no microwave, no small sitting table in the room; the positives: very nice indoor pool and "spa" area, small onsite restaurant with good food and a very good complimentary breakfast, good food selection, not just carbs, waffles, and pastries. We were cordially greeted when we arrived and got our choice of floors. The property and the rooms seem well maintained. We would stay here again if the need arises.

1 Thank drj999999
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed overnight in November 2013. This courtyard is a bit outdated - leaking faucet in the tub, older carpets, old fixtures. Beds are on the softer side, so if you are used to firm beds, you may not have a good night of sleep. Overall I'd rate it a 3 but they provide Paul Mitchell hair products, which is awesome (great shampoo and not tested on animals). So, 4-circle it is. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear RTW123,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback for our hotel. We appreciate your time and love to hear about our rooms from our guests perspective. We were renovated in 2013 with new carpet and additional upgrades are scheduled. We are always looking to improve our offerings and hope to have the opportunity to host your stay in the future.

BethJ
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed here for three weeks as part of a corporate new-hire group.
When I was told I would be staying in a Courtyard, I thought, "Oh...great. Another cookie-cutter Courtyard."
And that was true, as far as the rooms and building itself go.
(It isn't a bad thing. I like consistency.)
But the service here is what set this property apart from the rest.
The rooms are the new, updated Courtyard style and are comfortable.
Everyone working the desk and around the property in general was very friendly.
Always a "hello," "how are you," "how was your day," etc. and always available for anything necessary.
The Bistro was good, typical Courtyard style, again not a bad thing.
The pool and Jacuzzi were not working for part of my stay and they looked dingy anyway, so I wasn't upset about them being out of service.
The property is a little out of the way but still close to everything you need.
It's RIGHT off of 280 and not far at all from the Summit and Target, etc. but the airport is quite a distance. (The cab was almost $40!)
Overall, a pleasant experience. If my travels ever return me to Birmingham, I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge - and a room that doesn't face the highway! The rooms ending in eve...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Carl S
Beth J, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Colonnade/Grandview, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Carl S,

Thank you for providing the great feedback. Our hotel is surrounded by a lot of very similar hotels that offer comparable amenities. We stress that it is our people who make the difference. Our associates love to hear success stories and I will share your comments with them. We appreciate your loyalty and would love the opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Nice hotel, but under staffed. Our room needs new fixtures and an air unit. We stayed for 4 nights, and only received towels, bed made up, and empty the trash cans. Very poor service. The staff is very friendly, but the person at check-in, also handle the Bistro.

Room Tip: The parking is mostly at the far end of the building. The higher the room number the closer you are...
Dear Giuseppes1933,

We only grow through our guest's feedback. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expecations. I will review your comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure that they are following proper procedures for cleaning rooms that are staying fo multiple nights. I am glad that you enjoyed the lobby area, we are very proud of our hotel.

The hotel does not schedule only one person to work both the Bistro and the front desk, I can only assume that someone failed to show up for a shift. My apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

We pride ourselves on service and we would love the opportunity to redeem your faith in our hotel if you are traveling to the Birmingham area in the future. If you would like to further discuss any issues please reach out to me.

205-967-4466