“Just what you would expect for the price”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #62 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
“Just what you would expect for the price”
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited for two nights while on a trip to find investment properties. We needed just a basic hotel and got just that.
We heeded another reviewer's recommendation about staying away from the tavern on the premises but missed the other recommendation to stay on the back side away from the highway. While the road noise did not disturb our sleep, that extra would have made the visit just a bit more pleasant. We stayed during the week and the tavern was not really a problem anyway.
The room was clean and comfortable and looked recently renovated with new paint, nicer furniture, a flat-screen TV, and new looking appliances. The staff was gracious and took care of a broken latch on the door when we brought it to their attention. I also alerted them to a leaky faucet but they told me the had already mentioned it to management and they had not done anything about it. They assured me they would mention it again.
In the minus column we had stains in the shower stall on the wall that I think could be cleaned with a little elbow grease. Also, the electrical outlets are 2-prong and very loose. The clock would get reset when the cleaning crew came through as it would get knocked when they vacuumed. The mini-fridge was on the same outlet strip so, be careful if you have anything in the fridge! The 2-prong outlets are somewhat mitigated by the 3-prong outlets on the lamps but this means the safety ground is disconnected. Kids beware but adults should be fine.
The complimentary breakfast in the Waffle House was simple but adequate. The choices are limited but the menu items are cheap enough so supplementing is not an expense. Say "Hello" to Colleen and/or Wesley in the Waffle House as they made our visits enjoyable. Both are extremely nice and attentive and characters to boot. It was just fun being served by them.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
JSC1111, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your detailed review and share your experience with the TripAdvisor Readership. I was tremendously disappointed to learn about the Issues that you have faced and experienced on your recent visit with us we defiantly could do a lot better. I could see a lot of things did not happen to enhance your experience. I am so sorry for that. I assure you we have discussed this review with all the team in detail. I want to greatly thank you for your review. I want to alleviate any concerns you may have and assure you that the quality and service that you rightfully expect from our Econo Lodge Brand are in no way compromised instead been enhanced. Thank you for bring these concerns to our attention we truly understand “Our Guests want the very most and the very best, on the best terms. Only the individuals and the team that provide absolutely excellent products and services at absolutely excellent prices will survive”. We are and we will continue to be that team. We have addressed the feedback immediately; we have discovered the problem and a corrective action in place to prevent this from happening again. Comments such as yours mean a great deal to us. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you the true experience as we want to make up for your previous experiences. Please accept my earnest apologies for your experience, this is definitely not the norm, is not acceptable, I assure you we have taken your comments and feedback to be great direction to improve thank you for your immense feedback. Sincerely, Neal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Guntersville, Alabama
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Went to an event at the Birmingham Zoo...and wanted to be close to the Zoo ..I had seen this property for years but had never stayed...I was concerned about the age but was pleasantly surprised with the room , new carpet, new furniture, new flat screen TV, new bedding!

The house keeping staff were very nice... Could use some cleaning up outside. Maybe that will follow...I would return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Red Roof Inn Birmingham South
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 10 in Pelham
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!