“Lovely Atmosphere, Friendly Staff, Average Food”

Little Savannah Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Savannah Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #156 of 939 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 39th Street South
Birmingham, Alabama
“Lovely Atmosphere, Friendly Staff, Average Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Spurred by many positive dining reviews, my wife and I tried Little Savannah for dinner on Saturday evening. We loved the charm of this relatively small restaurant and the friendliness of the hostess and bartender as we enjoyed a cocktail before sitting for dinner.
We decided to first share an appetizer of artisan cheeses. This consisted of 4 very small slices of local cheeses, with 3 thin slices of apple and a bit of local honey. Tasty, but a bit pricey at $12 for these tiny tastes.
The server spoke lovingly about how all of the meats, fruits and vegetables had been carefully chosen from local farmers. She painted a picture of almost magical tastes to arrive with our dining experience. Wonderful! My wife chose the rabbit pappardelle, and I chose the duck confit. Later, as the server delivered each dinner, she whispered that we would experience a wonderful dining experience, then exited. Enjoy!
So, I tasted my $27 small portion of duck. It was ... OK. Not bad, not great, but OK.
My wife wasn't as lucky. Her $26 rabbit dish was very over salted with far too much sage. She left most of her dish uneaten. Frankly, the portions served were appropriate; it's just that the dinners themselves did not live up to the hype.
Not wanting our server to cry herself to sleep that evening, we later said that we liked our meal, paid the tab and left. Hopefully, the chef had just been distracted by the large engagement party that was in the other dining area when we were there. We decided that based on atmosphere alone, we would give this restaurant another try some time in the future.

• Visited October 2013

Birmingham, Alabama
“Birthday dinner, lost reservation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Friends and I celebrated our birthday here. I had made a reservation weeks before. On arrival, a friday night so it was busy they had no reservation for us. Fortunately my obsessive compulsiveness paid off as I had made a note of day and time and who I had spoken to when making the reservation. When I gave them that I was informed that the person who had taken my reservation had been fired for making many similar mistakes. That said they rallied around and found us a table ASAP, hard to to as this is a tiny place. Our meal was fabulous, cocktails were on the house to make up for loss of reservation and our birthdays. Chocolate mousse was heavenly! could have eaten two but that might just have finished me off. This is not our 1st trip here. Before my daughters wedding they somehow mananged to accommodate a large party at the last minute and my daughter and son in law says it's their favorite brunch place.

• Visited January 2013
“Surprising Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

My husband and I have eaten at Little Savannah a few times, the most recent experience being an eye opener. I made the mistake of ordering the friend chicken. I took one cut into the chicken and blood (yes, blood!!!) leaked out until my plate was covered in red. I didn't have to ask for the manager because it was so bad she couldn't help but notice. The dish was brought back moments later, still with the same chicken, only to have been re-fried. I cut into the chicken and one again, blood oozed out. During this fiasco I noticed Clif was aware of the situation but made no attempt to correct the mistake. Really, he seemed more annoyed at the MOD and server, who had done nothing to do with the preparation of the dish. If I were the owner of a restaurant and witnessed something like this happening, things would have been handled more professionally. I have never experienced something so appalling, and am truly shocked something like this could happen at such a popular restaurant, esp since Clif has a reputation to uphold...or maybe he and his wife don't care anymore? My husband asked for the check, we paid our ticket and left. Needless to say, we will not return.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank 113danielleh
Conway, AR
“Fun, delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I went on a Wednesday night when they do their guest chef type meal. It was very fun. The chef and Sous Chef come out and discuss the night's meal, it was served family style at big tables. We really got to know our table mates and it was a very nice, relaxed, entertaining evening. Great proponent for local foods and a delicious meal. I had the catfish, mac and cheese, cole slaw, and a wonderful strawberry shortcake. Very fun, would love to go back if ever in Birmingham.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank rachellynn99
“Relaxing, great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Staff treats me like an old friend. Make no mistake -- this is fine dining, but the atmosphere is so warm and comfortable. I also love hanging out at the bar. It's a great place to have a casual dinner with a friend.

• Visited January 2013