“Just Right and Tucked Away”

Crazy Cajuns' Boiling Pot
Ranked #63 of 954 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Birmingham, Alabama
“Just Right and Tucked Away”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Located just off Highway 280 and Valleydale, Crazy Cajun has a happy hour until 7 PM and outdoor seating to accompany the happy hour. We like to go on summer evenings and eat dinner in that shady outdoor area in front of the restaurant. Great Cajun food. Royal reds in a low country boil are good as is the Cajun meatloaf. Very casual place with friendly wait staff.

• Visited June 2014

Denver
“Amazingly good Cajun in a strip center!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

On a recent road trip, my husband and I dined here based on 1) proximity to our hotel and 2) TA reviews.

It was very busy on a Saturday evening but we were able to grab one of the last two tables.
We started with the fried green tomato appetizer. They were topped with bits of crab. Yum!

On our waiters advice, I ordered Cajun pasta. It had a spicy cream sauce, Andouille sausage, crayfish, shrimp and veggies. It was great.....and there was more than I could eat. I shared it with my husband. He had the sampler and chose jambalaya, red beans and rice and gumbo. He had planned to see which of the 3 he liked best then order a full size portion of that. After he ate part of my entrée, he instead ordered bread pudding for dessert.

Our server and the manager were both very friendly and attentive. Highly recommended.
Avoid the patio if you don't like cigarette smoke. Apparently, people can still smoke on the patio in Alabama.

Collierville
“This is NOT Boudin!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

For our appetizers we ordered Pork Boudin & a crab cake. We were served white rice tossed with some seasoning, maybe Cajun, still very bland & not in a casing natural or otherwise.. The dish contained no green onion, no bell pepper, none of the key ingredients for boudin, This place gives Boudin a bad name! The crab cake was okay not great but eatable.
For our main course we ordered boiled crawfish. The crawfish were seasoned better than some, the potatoes & corn had been boiled separately & not very well seasoned. We will not return.

• Visited June 2014
Jefferson County, CO
“What A Find!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Found this restaurant near our hotel and tried it with low expectations. Don't judge a restaurant by its name we were soon to discover!

The menu was very broad and deep with tempting selections covering many Cajun classics that are strangely absent from a good number of menus devoted to the cuisine.

We started with my wife's favorite, fried green tomatoes. Five large slices, battered and fried perfectly were served and determined very worthy. I tried a sampler plate of red beans and rice, jambalaya and corn maque choux accompanied by some decent toasted bread. All were very good and flavorful, especially the jambalaya and RBR. I was very happy to say the least.

My wife ordered a rich and well seasoned shrimp pasta dish that another couple had ordered and tipped us off about. It was great!

Finally ended with an order of some very good bread pudding.

There were so many dishes that were done so well that Crazy Cajun earned a full five stars (Why is it that it seems as though the best Cajun fare is found anywhere but New Orleans?). Don't let the name and strip center location give you pause. Aieee, it's good!

Sylacauga, Alabama
“red beans and rice”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I go here for the red beans and rice, it's the best I know of. I get a cup of gumbo on the side, a beer, sit outside, and enjoy. this isn't gourmet food, it's great Cajun food. the service is always good, unless you have an attitude, then it can get a little sketchy. the place is laid back, so lay back and enjoy the food and the experience. I've had their blackened grouper, and it's great, but I go for the red beans and rice. good beer selection, and they also have a pretty good wine selection.