“Stay away!!”

Ranked #166 of 340 Hotels in Tai'an
Lincoln, California
“Stay away!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

We booked a tour to Shanghai, Tai'shan, and Beijing, including the incredible Great Wall, through China Focus. The middle portion of the trip had us stopping at the Tai'shan Hotel. As a previous traveler in our party noted in their review, the bathrooms in our rooms were covered with large streaks of balck mold, the bed mattress was very uncomfortable, and a gaping hole in the wall existed behind the table separating the two beds in the room. See the attached photos. This hole showed bare wires and possibly made the room accessible to vermin.

The restaurant featured filthy table cloths and the rugs in the hotel were also filthy. China Focus explicitly states in their ad for our tour that you will only stay in the equivalent of 4 or 5 stars BY AMERICAN STANDARDS. This hotel doesn't rate anything but a condemned rating

Another warning to travelers who want to take the Bullet Train, there is no room for luggage that won't fir in the overhead of an ordinary airliner. As a result of this we lost access to our main luggage for almost four days because it had to be sent on a normal train. The Bullet Train is quite remarkable, clean, and smooth as silk even at 183 mph!

While ultimately we got China Focus to return $125 of the approximate $900 we spent when pro-rated, they were very disingenuous in their replies, and basically failed to acknowledge our complaints instead of acknowledging what we were saying.

My advice - don't use China Focus, and go see the Terra-cotta soldiers instead of wasting your precious time in Tian'shan.

Room Tip: None of the rooms offered were satisfactory.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank sigint17

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lincoln, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Our China Focus tour group spent three nights in this hotel in November 2012. We were extremely disappointed in the condition of the hotel and our rooms. The bathrooms were disgusting with black mold around the tub, shower, sink, and tiles. The safety grab bar was rusted out and hanging from the wall. Between the beds behind the night stand, there was a large hole in the wall with exposed wires coming out. We took photos. We complained and were offered to change rooms. But those rooms were in a similar condition. At breakfast the restaurant had dirty tablecloths and linens from a banquet the night before. The beds were clean but hard which one might expect in China. The carpet in the dinning room was dusty and filthy, in dire need of cleaning. Twelve of our 16 person tour complained to China Focus after the trip and they refunded us $125.00 for the three night charge.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank willow131
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

I spent one night at the Tai Shan Binguan in early May. My double for single use was a bit worn, but it was affordable, clean, serviceable, and well-located. There was nothing special about it, but it met my needs for the night.

The next day, after exploring Tai Shan, I returned to the hotel to reclaim a suitcase I had checked at the desk that morning. I was more than a bit surprised to find the lobby in the midst of extensive renovation – dust and drop clothes everywhere, men working, large sections of wall and ceiling “gone” with only structural supports showing through. I went in and was soon approached by a uniformed woman, who seemed startled to learn that I was there to retrieve a suitcase. The entry to the luggage room must have been damaged by the construction work; it took several men wielding hammers and saws and who knows what else (I quit watching) to open the door. I must commend the young lady for the dignity with which she handed me my suitcase, despite the thick layer of plaster dust that covered it and me and her by then. But seriously, did they not know, that very morning, that the lobby was slated for renovation? Did they not check the luggage room before proceeding? The failures to let me know and to make suitable arrangements for my suitcase,struck me as fairly serious lapses in communication and coordination.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

Have problems with our rooms , and it took ages for service to arrive , and they did nothing to improve the things .

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business