“Only a two star hotel”

Ranked #26 of 192 Hotels in Jiuzhaigou County
Sydney Australia
“Only a two star hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

In July my partner and I stayed two nights at this hotel. On arrival we were given a note with the following information Hot water 1830-2400 0630-0900 no air condition. Our tour guide suggested that the temperature in Jiuzhaigou is not hot so there is no need for air conditioning. Our room whilst clean and neat was very stuffy and certainly needed air conditioning. Breakfast was a battle to find seating and the hotel obviously catered for large Chinese tour groups as the only western food was eggs and toast. The lack of english speaking staff made understanding between it both difficult and frustrating on both sides.
An attempt to change a 100RMB note into two 50RMB notes was meet with an unwillingness to assist until a second staff member told the first to change the 100RMB note. My partner translated the Chinese and told me that the first counter staff told her companion that she didn't want to do it. No credit card and foreign exchange facility makes this hotel suitable for large Chinese tour groups but not foreign touriusts.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keith060

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The exterior and lobby seems big and reasonably furnished but the service and amenities were poor. Staff spoke mainly chinese. You have to rush and fight for your breakfast, whicg is probably not worthwhile anyway. nonchalent restaurant staff. poor hot water supply and none during daytime. had to go without a shower on first night after a long bus trip. No laundry service or western restaurant dining despite advertised in hotel brochure. Hotel is mainly catering for Local travellers from interstate and at the very best room with a view, I would give it a 3 star rating. Much needs to be done in terms or staff training and facilities upgrade. but then this is in the rural area. The sheraton would be a much better choice for overseas travellers if affordable and there is a good tibetan show next to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank shrink61

Travellers are raving about these Jiuzhaigou County hotels

Penang
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The hotel is well located very near the entrance of the Park. We spent 2 nights here and requested for 1 room with Twin beds and 1 room with a King size bed to be located on the same floor near each other. The hotel gave us our 2 rooms on the same floor and directly opposite each other at the corner of the floor.

We found the rooms to be quite cozy, well lit and spacious enough. The bathroom have hot water at night when we returned.

The breakfast buffet was mainly Chinese with minimal Western dishes. Luckily we were prepared and brought our own peanut butter, jam and coffee. For serious coffee drinkers, you should BYO, and do not forget your coffee mate creamer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lo_kelvin1
melbourne
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We had been travelling around China for over 2 weeks and were having a really good time and were looking forward to our stay in Jiuzhaigou at the end of Oct 2010.
However, when we stepped into the hotel lobby, it was dim and very cold with no heater (it had snowed early on in the day). That was nothing compared to the cold and rude reception we got from the front desk staff. I showed him my booking from ctrip.com but he dismissed it immediately saying that he was not expecting any check-ins other than check-ins from tour groups. When I asked him to check again, he refused flatly and his body language was 'stop wasting my time and get out of here'.
I had to call ctrip on my own mobile to clarify the problem and after about more than half an hour, Mr Gao, the front desk staff conceded that we did book our rooms. No apologies, nothing!
Breakfast was the most horrible we ever had in any hotel in China. The bread were so stale and there was no toaster in sight. I didn't see any butter either. The only thing we could eat was hard boiled eggs. They didn't even have any sweet potatoes. Coffee? Was the thin darkish liquid I saw in that big urn coffee? I was certainly not tempted to try at all.

All in all, the amount one would pay for this hotel was a rip-off. Avoid it at all costs. They only cater for big tour groups.

Thank goodness, Sheraton was next door and we could have our dinner there with polite staff and warm surroundings. Pay a bit more for the 2 to 3 days you are in JZG and stay at more pleasant hotels. You will not regret it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank puzzlemelbourne
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I chose this hotel after I went throught all the comments in Tripadvisor and websites in chinese.... It seemed to me that the only thing I need to worry about is the breakfast. but, after staying at the hotels for four nights....I found that the breakfast was not as bad as described. It was definitely not a luxury breakfast, but it gave you every basic things you need before going up to the mountain. there were rice, noodles, vegetables, bread,dumplings.... to me, the only thing they lack is coffee. that didn't border me much as my husband was clear enough to bring ten pack of instant coffee for our trip. Afterall, Jiuzhaigou is not a place for good food.....
Other things of the hotel are good. The room is clean and cozy. The location is just great. just around 20 minutes (walking distance) from the park.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rubydejolie
jakarta
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed for 2 nights, booked business room type from ctrip. We arrived at the hotel around 10.30 pm. None of the staff speaks english not even the front desk manager. Anyway the check-in is fast, room is clean and spacious, location is good - there are 24 hours mini market and some restaurants beside the hotel, it is around 2 km from the park entry. Breakfast is terrible, we could only eat the boiled eggs and porridge.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My husband, myself and our two children aged 10 and 12 stayed here in mid December. Our rooms were clean and very nicely decorated. One of our rooms did have a drainage problem though and the toilet got blocked every day. Complimentary bottles of water x 2 were provided daily. Bathrobes, slippers and a hair dryer are also provided.

We didn't have any problems with the service but there wasn't really any (LOL). There seemed to be only one member of staff who spoke English. Make sure you have cash as none of the major credit cards (western) seem to be accepted.

Airconditioning was not available all day when we stayed. It came on at 5pm and went off at 5 am. The day we arrived this was a tad annoying however other days we were in the park all day so it was not a problem. Hot water only comes on in the evenings (7pm onwards). This was not really a problem since we were spending the entire day out at JZG park, however I feel a 5pm or even 6pm turn on of the water would be far more acceptable.

The hotel breakfast is mainly Chinese style congee with condiments, some simple cakes, and also an egg station. Most of their guests are Chinese tourists, so the breakfast is naturally more suited to the Asian palate. The juice is warm, yuk. My children thought it was horrible but at least there were eggs, so over all it was adequate. Menus in the restaurant are also only in Mandarin, but that adds to the adventure.

The hotel is about 1.5km away from the park entrance. Taxis cost about RMB6-8 each way, and there are usually taxis waiting outside the hotel to pick up passengers in the morning. On the day we arrived we ate at a restaurant on the other side of the park and walked back to the hotel along the beautiful stream that runs through the town. It was freezingly cold but truly beautiful. The town was like a ghost town in December and we were the only ones out walking in the sub zero temperatures.

The hotel location is very good as there is lots within walking distance. There are some shops right outside the hotel gate, a convenience store where you can pick up water, beer, wine and noodles (all the essentials!), and also souvenir stores (bargain hard if you want to buy!).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family