“Friendly, Convenient, Clean, Comfortable”
Review of Gurong Hotel

Gurong Hotel
Ranked #6 of 527 Hotels in Dali
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed just one night in Gurong while on our way to Kunming. This is a very nice hotel, my personal experience with each and every staff is very pleasant. They are helpful, friendly and genuine . They greet you, volunteer to carry your bags and answer questions with their best knowledge regarding directions, restaurants and local specialties . It is also right in the center of the old Dali city , very convenient. You won't go wrong with this nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MKGC1

Reviewed 25 September 2013

A nice hotel. The rooms were very spacious. Bathroom needed an update, but was okay. The room did smell of stale smoke (it was a smoking room). I was on the ground floor and as I was travelling by myself I would have preferred to be on another floor. There were a few insects which had crawled in too. The hotel is within easy walking distance into Dali old town, but looked a little rough just on the road outside the hotel - fine in pairs, but probably not alone. Breakfast had an okay, but not great, selection of western food.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke ask for a non-smoking room. You may also want to ask for a room not on the g...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emily K
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My son and I were here in April for two nights. It was a pleasure exploring the neatly kept hotel grounds. All the trees and flowering plants looked very healthy and colorful. The peaceful, quiet surroundings attracted many small songbirds; one morning when I came to the window a small blue colored songbird was standing just right outside the window. Such a nice way to start the day! The carpet looked and felt very new, yet it was full of stains. Brand new slippers were neatly placed in the large closet by the door, but it looked like some of the guests did not appreciate the thick, bouncy carpet in the room in which we stayed and had trampled the carpet with their shoes. When we were there the service was very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cumulusclouds
Reviewed 30 April 2013

For an Asian traveller with reasonable command of spoken Chinese, this hotel can meet many requirements especially if you like to explore food and souvenir shopping in Dali Old town. The western style breakfast is barely okay and if this is your most important criteria, get a room without breakfast. There are local western cafes close by. The chinese breakfast is pretty decent. I cannot fault the accomodation on my 2 nights stay. The hotel grounds are also well kept and surprising spacious.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rover4aday
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This hotel was the best that our Group stayed in while we were in China for 2 weeks.
It is located right in the middle of the old town and "Foreigner Street" and the shopping streets were only minutes away on foot.

There is wifi to every room, (very unusual in China hotels) and when it didn't work the first time, a tech was in my room within minutes from my phone call, and he fixed it!

The gardens are spectacular and peaceful. I had to walk across the traditional Chinese bridge over a fish pond to get to my room. Sometimes I would stop half way and sit at the Majong table and reflect before going to me room. The room was perfect and smelled of some lovely incense the whole time I was there. Bed was very comfortable and a pillows menu was available. The bed gets turned down every night and a card is left there to tell you what the weather forecast for the next day will be.
Next time I go to Dali, I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: My room was at the back of the site and was very peaceful. Others in the group said they had views o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Danny G
Reviewed 19 November 2012

A very clean and quiet hotel which is superbly located in its own grounds within the walls of the old town. Excellent rooms off open-air corridors in detached blocks, with all facilities and air conditioning that works a treat. Lighting particularly good with plenty of mood options and even a built-in nightlight (albeit all controlled from a single bedside console - see photo - which is clever but not very practical; my wife used used to hit any button in the hope that eventually she'd get the right one...). Fresh towels were provided every day even when not requested.

The clientele is essentially Chinese and English is NOT spoken, although [with some effort] we still managed to sort out everything we needed (such as calling a taxi). Wi-Fi is only available in the large reception foyer, but is f.o.c.

Despite one or two shortcomings I might be tempted to give this hotel a 5* rating were it not for the breakfast which, despite the long row of tureens, is limited and not suited to European tastes (but then we had been spoilt at the Langham Place hotel at Beijing airport T3 and had some equally duff experiences to follow!). The restaurant wasn't in use at the time of stay either, but with the town on the doorstep that wasn't a major concern - after a recce of the neighbourhood we ate three nights running at the [rather rough and ready] Good Panda (see separate review).

Our original plan was to stay at the Linden Centre but that was fully booked. We weren't disappointed with this alternative, especially given the other benefits of being located in old Dali. The hotel doesn't appear to have a website or working email, so we booked via ctrip, which worked fine.

All in all I'd like to give this hotel a 3.5 star rating - as it's good but not that good, especially for westerners - but as that option isn't available I've rounded it up because of the decent rooms and good location.

NB. In the light of comments seen elsewhere we were a bit apprehensive about getting a cab from the airport (the advice being to get one's hotel to arrange to avoid touts), but in the event it proved to be one of the nicest (and quietest) airports we have ever flown into. Official green & yellow taxis were in an orderly queue to the right of the airport building, and at the time of writing transfer to Dalizhen costs a fixed RMB 90 (signs at the head of the taxi rank refer).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris_and_Jean
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Good Points:
The hotel is well located - very near to the Old Town. Hotel buildings are of traditional local design - white walls with classic Chinese wall murials, 2 to 3 storey high, look good. The outdoor/garden areas are also quite appealing.

Bad Points:
Our standard king-bed room looked ok except for the terribly stained room carpets (see photos) - luckily slippers were provided.
Breakfast (buffet) had limited choice for non-Chinese guests. Options interestingly include French fries, boiled pumpkin, taro & other veges.
Staff spoke limited/nil English at breakfast and at Reception. Free wifi available only in the Reception area, not in the room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple