“Lovely small hotel with big hospitality”
Review of The Bruce Chalet

The Bruce Chalet
Ranked #12 of 946 Hotels in Lijiang
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I really love the hostel and staffs here. Do not expect they will have everything you want even you have money but this is the real 5 stars hotel which the staffs provide all service by heart and friendship.
The local breakfast which is home-made is very tasty, you gotta try their home-made bread and spring roll! and you pay only 30 CNY for such tasty varieties of foods.
The room is lovely and very clean. 5-10 minutes from the Shuhe old town. The staffs will take you to the bike shop if you want to rent one, they will help you carry your bag and walk you to the public van to town-- never ask for money but always ask guests how your day is, would you like tea, coffee or anything-- I stayed when their boss was away and they still did a fantastic job. You gonna feel like you are staying at home at this hotel.

Tip: I traveled alone and experienced some ripping off since I do not know any word of Chinese. So I tried to avoid Taxi in China.
I took bus no .11 from Lijiang oldtown ( actually Shangrila intersection since the Fuhui street is under construction so I gotta walk down from the big water wheel infront of Lijinag old town along the constructed Fuhui road until reached the intersection then turn right to the bus station ( across the street is Lantian- Civil blue sky hotel airport shuttle station)
Took no.11 to the second roundabout ( Pullman resort and spa)- I am not sure how many bus stops I passed but it took around 15 minutes and then walk 20-30 min (I barely walk when I am not traveling but it was OK to walk this time with a nice view ) to the Shuhe oldtown. Actually you can take bus No. 6 to the Shuhe directly or take a shared van at the supermarket across the street form Lantian hotel.

There is no sign to direct you to the Bruce Chalet and yes, it has a name in Chines so please print it out.
At the gate of the Shuhe old town, there is an information center on the right side,
To reach the hotel from this gate you might walk through the gate , go inside the old town and straight forward until reach the end of the street and then turn left and the n right ,head to the village. Or you do not go inside the old town, but turn left first and walk straight until reach the police station.

*** when you see the police station with some signs of a hotel/museum ( but no Bruce chalet) walk follow that sign and turn right to the back door of the police station. You gonna see gardens , turn left and walk along that road, enjoy the veggie gardens and mountain. At the end of the road ( 500 m. I guess) is this lovely hotel.***

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AomAmm

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Plenty of Inns in Shuhe if you have the time to walk around and find one. Our time was short so we booked a room with the chalet and also arranged for transportation from the airport with Bruce. I think you are better off looking for a place in lijiang or shuhe. Breakfast isn't served until 8:30 which is a little late if you wanted to get started earlier. However, Bruce is very helpful,his english is good and the chalet is quiet and clean.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We really enjoyed spending the night at Bruce Chalet in Shuhe, near Lijiang Old Town. Bruce is so helpful and will consult with you with all of your travel plans. Our room was comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. He arranged the driver to pick us up from the train station, and a driver to take us to Tiger Leaping Gorge. Even when we had to bypass TLG because of heavy rains the night before, Bruce, by phone, and the driver helped us get a bus to Shangrila.
Our only objection is that we didn't have enough time. Spend at least two nights!

1  Thank Fat123456
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Thank you Bruce and Bella for a very pleasant stay in Shuhe. Very clean, safe and comfortable accommodation. For first time visitors to Lijiang, Shuhe is a great location to explore the valley. Not too far to the old city of Lijiang and well-placed for biking and hiking further up the valley. Cheers!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I had a huge and beautiful double room with a huge bed. Everything very clean and nice, best value for money. In general you should not look to much into the details in Chinese bathrooms and sanitary facilities. The garden/courtyard looks very nice and the hostel has a great atmosphere.

Bruce even drove me to the shuttle bus to get to Lijiang Old Town and explained how to walk back, takes about 5 - 10 minutes. Shuttle takes about 20 minutes to Lijiang Old Town. But location is very close to another old town of Lijiang!

Bruce, the owner, is the most wonderful person! He was incredibly helpful and friendly! I had some questions before my arrival and he would answer all my e-mails in detail! He recommended how to spend my three days in Lijiang and I happily followed his perfect schedule! When I got there he explained Lijiang and Dali just like a tour guide would do and gave me an overview of all the things to see! Pick-up from the airport worked just fine, he wrote down all directions in Chinese characters, he even booked a room for me in Dali and printed directions to the place. Free internet available on two computers. Free welcome tea and some welcome-fruits, very good breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Catherine1900
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Beautiful property with central courtyard garden. The staff is friendly and welcoming, bringing us coffee and fruit upon arrival. We were impressed with the large mountain view room with a side balcony. The snow mountain can be viewed from the hanging chair on the balcony (the perfect place to catch up on a good book and sip a hot drink). Bikes are available to rent 10 minutes away for 20-30 RMB. You can take a ride to Baisha old town but just be prepared for all those bumpy stone roads! Ouch!
Would definitely recommend this property to friends!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Located right outside of Shuhe old town, The Bruce Chalet, is a quiet, charming guest house to make yourself feel at home. Lijiang Old Town, a 15-20 minute drive away, is chaotic and way too crowded for us. Shuhe, is more charming and you won't feel like you're with 20 other loud tour groups. Bruce and Bella made us feel welcome right from the start, and along with their great drivers, we always felt safe, secure, and really like a friend's take caring. We're happy to say that we'll be returning again this week and hopefully soon in the future.

1  Thank flowerbubble2014