“Wonderful stay in The Bruce Chalet.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bruce Chalet

The Bruce Chalet
Ranked #10 of 921 Hotels in Lijiang
Dali, China
“Wonderful stay in The Bruce Chalet.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

First step into The Bruce Chalet was like I was in a secret garden, my eyes were full of trees and flowers ,I have to say,it's a 5 star place to rest your head,they have a friendly and cute dog may follow you everywhere.The assistants there were so friendly to me ,they will give me some Chinese tea,some fruits and cakes ,I can easily feel at home there.If I have no plan to go out for a day, I will also feel relaxing in the hotel.If I wanna go out, Bruce will introduce me to some very good place, He will tell me almost everything about that place that I can know more about it and decide where to go, it is a very helpful service so I can choose the best way to travel in Lijiang.They can also rent a bike or car for me if I want to take a bike to somewhere or just to take a car. last , 5 star for all!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

First, this property should not be listed under Lijiang, but Shuhe, as has been noted. That said, Shuhe is wonderful. As for the hotel, it is good value for the money but be prepared for dogs barking constantly all day and most of the night. You are in a village and many homes have dogs for protection, so they bark at any noise/movement.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nevele
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We choose this address because everybody said if was very good. And they were right! This is an excellent place and Bruce is very helpful. Nice atmosphere! We didn't have to take a taxi because Bruce brought us to the next village Baisha for visiting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ToniDeGroof
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

i left the ancient city hoping to return again to meet the people in Bruce Chalet. Other than the usual modern amenities, it's quite a classic Chinese inn. I love the homey deco. There were not many rooms so it's like a traditional Chinese big family home.
With a free & easy travel spirit we set off quite unprepared. From preparing our arrival to sending us off to our next destination everything was very well taken care of like we had a personal butler. They accommodated our last minute requests and met our every needs. We loved the sumptuous home made breakfast prepared by Xiao Zhao and grateful for Bruce's care in making sure we met the local guide.
You need to take a walk from Bruce Chalet to ShuHe town. Xiao Zhao filled in the missing links in our travel plan, gave us a detailed map and highlighted all the must sees. When they expected us to return late so very thoughtful they lent us a torchlight because it was very dark at night when we walked back but it was safe. I was touched when i saw the staff even waited at the door until we came back.
Bruce Chalet had charming hosts and 5 stars hospitality.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hereford, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The helpful English speaking owner has plenty of local knowledge and even collected us from the bus station when the taxi drivers refused .The hotel is not in Lijiang but in the nearby town of Shuhe, a taxi ride from Lijiang.There is a delightful courtyard garden and shady verandahs where tea and fruit are served on arrival. Beds are huge and comfortable and the rooms spacious and stylish. We didn't have time to sample breakfast as we had to catch an early bus to our next destination but would have liked to spend longer here.

Room Tip: Upstairs room has oodles of space and charm
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Bruce Chalet is one of the best places I have ever stayed in during our 6 months in China.

I have a small family (2 adults, 1 toddler) and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We had a ground floor room, which was clean spacious and accommodating. This is relative to most of our trips, in which we try to keep travel inexpensive and child-friendly.

Some reviewers complain about noise, to which I have two comments. The structure is wooden, so ground floor rooms can hear your upstairs neighbors' footsteps. Also, the surroundings are rural, so there are the ubiquitous dogs and break-of-dawn roosters. If you can't handle this noise, then you shouldn't have come to a rural province. Or you haven't stayed anywhere in China except the 27th floor of a Hong Kong hotel! Really, it's about knowing China and knowing what to expect.

If you are a high-end traveler, then the Bruce Chalet may seem somewhat rustic...but that is the charm. The beds are soft (as in Western soft, not the normal Chinese hard/soft). The food at breakfast is good, and the hosts allow you to have extra fruit and tea and coffee for your stay (just ask).

The setting is FAR better than staying ANYwhere in Lijiang, or even in Shuhe proper. A hired car is easily obtained with 30min notice for very reasonable prices. Bruce is extremely helpful with travel advice, and he even arranged things for us for dates after our stay was over. Truly, the whole Chalet family is very very helpful. My only regret is not hanging out with the staff more!

GREAT airport pickup service - VERY much worth the price. And the price is quite reasonable given the distance and area...I am sure that other hotels would charge you more!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a 2nd story room. ALL the rooms are very comfortable.
Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 9 days (extended from 5) at The Bruce Chalet. Selected after a lot of research as part of our month travelling in Yunnan, the place is exactly as described by the many positive reviews so I won't repeat. Bruce, his wife and staff are really exceptionally helpful and accommodating (also their guide dog Falun. ask them about it). We travel very extensively, so I don't make such compliments lightly. Our roomy comfortable room on the first floor also had an attached west facing enclosed sunroom which made cloths drying a dream. This is a VERY quiet location outside the Shuhe old town, so I can't understand recent comments about noise. If a few dogs barking occassionaly worries you, I wonder how you could survive almost anywhere else, particularly in the old towns where the load music and crowds almost never stop. For us this was the ideal base to explore the Ljiang area.
But DO be warned....dont make the mistake of not bringing Bruce's mobile phone number with you as silly me did, because you won't be able to find the place from Google maps and no-one in Shuhe ( were there are over 3000, YES 3000) little hotels seems to ave heard of the place.

Room Tip: I would prefer a first floor room at the ends of either of the two short wings, because these have b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple