“Dining Experience at the Western Restaurant - Needs dramatic improvement”

Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 928 Hotels in Lijiang
Hong Kong, China
“Dining Experience at the Western Restaurant - Needs dramatic improvement”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We are staying at the Banyan Tree & my friend recommended the Pullman Lijiang so we decided to go for a late lunch today, August 16th at the Western Restaurant since after 3 days of eating authentic Chinese dishes we were craving for western food. The dining experience was really not pleasant - the Tagliatelle with Beef pasta we ordered - was not hot (room temperature) and not al dente and the Wagyu Beef burger we requested to be well done had blood & we had to ask to re cook.

When we paid our bill, they swiped my card and it went through since the bank sent me a message that the payment went through. Something happened that the paper I am supposed to sign did not go through and the wait staff tried to swipe my card a 2nd time even though I was showing the payment went through already. They called the supervisor who recommended I sign a blank piece of credit card bill so they are safe and they will cancel on monday - I explained to them that they had a problem & they need to fix this with the bank since I paid & the money went through - not to burden me & try to charge me 3 times.

I will not recommend dining here - it is a nightmare - especially if you are on a holiday. Big mistake to leave the Banyan Tree - the team is nice and polite and smiling - but the food is not up to the quality of a hotel, the follow up service by the supervisor or duty manager if there is a problem is to throw it back to the client - I left my room number at the Banyan Tree for them to contact me if there is any problem but the solution of the duty manager, the quality of the food - is not a pleasant experience especially if you are on a holiday - will recommend local stand alone restaurants - better quality and no hassle. It was too stressful.

Room Tip: Lots of rich local kids staying here - while dining - there was a table with rich kids running aroun...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
h7231-GM, General Manager at Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Sonny Ang,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and I am very disappointed to hear that the quality of food in our All Day Dinning Restaurant XI did not meet our usual high standards and that you were not satisfied with the staff response after the incident with the credit card handling. We sincerely apologize for the negative experience and I would like to share with you our high interest and dedication to examine thoroughly these shortcomings.
I trust that your credit card payment was totally in order at last as we did not get back any more information from our bank.
Again, my apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Sorry to hear that you have been disturbed by the kids while dinning. However, as we are a very family minded resort and we do everything possible to make the entire families happy, this, unfortunately, cannot be avoided. I sincerely hope that you will not allow these incidents to affect your decision to come back to Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa and we look forward to the opportunity to be able to welcome you back again.
Hartmut Schaller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a rather new hotel in Lijiang. Although superbly appointed as Pullman Hotels always are the architecture and ambience is cold. Built entirely from drab grey stone and concrete I really felt something was missing here. Everywhere you look is just cold grey stone. With so much colour in Lijiang, I personally think some brightly coloured Chinese decor could lift this hotel.

Also the bathroom has some issues. Many hotels now use the trendy high lipped hand basins/bowl. However the the tap/basin combination here was poorly designed. No matter how slow you turned on the taps, water would instantly drench everything nearby. The floor, your clothes, and everything on the vanity. Water would hit the bottom of the basin and then spray everywhere like a fountain.

The service was good. However the night I stayed there a group of loud foreign business guys were in the bar smoking cigars. The stench was so strong that the bar was only suitable for them. Luckily the Pullman has a library close by and we adjourned to there in peace.

5 star hotels in China have to get dedicated smoking rooms or lose their 5 star status.

The hotel is very close to Shuhe Old Town which is by far the best attraction in Lijiang.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear outbackphotographer,

Thank you very much for choosing the Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa as your preferred choice of accommodation and we do appreciate your valuable feedback.
We deeply regret in learning that you feel the architecture and ambience is cold. Allow me to point out, that our low-rise designer resort is inspired by Naxi ethnic minority architecture and blended with contemporary Chinese interiors and built to reflect the style of the ancient architecture in this area. Described as cold grey stone, but a closer inspection reveals elaborate and delicate patterns on casements and doors, and a very comfortable and airy living environment.
Thank you very much for your comments about guests smoking in the Bar and I absolutely agree with you about dedicated smoking areas. I am glad to inform you that we have implemented strictly nonsmoking in all areas inside the resort building (including villas) and only allow guests smoking in the outside open areas.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The resort is located at the entry of Shuhe town with easy access. My room was nice and cozy and the views were stunning and the staff are very helpful! I love the bar next to the outdoor pool. Open a Champagne with firends to enjoy the relaxation of removed from the hustle and bustlewill be one the best moments in life...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear EmilyT,

Thank you very much for choosing the Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa as your preferred choice of accommodation and we do appreciate your valuable feedback and we truly do appreciate your kind comments. I totally agree with you when you say to relax from the hustle and bustle –
our slogan is: Check in – Chill out! And now: Inheriting the tradition of Pullman`s Afternoon Tea, designed which focus on the local delights!
Modesto, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

best resort hotel I've seen in China , wonderful room ( villa ) good food , great staff.
real luxury , peaceful place with great service comfortable and clean . thy get a five star on all points.
I would love to stay here again !

Room Tip: rooms are close to amentias, while Villas are more private and more remote take a golf cart to vil...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dano bano,

Thank you very much for choosing the Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa as your preferred choice of accommodation and we do appreciate your valuable feedback and we truly do appreciate your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
We offer a 24 hours buggy service to take our guests around the resort to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife's firm were having a retreat at the hotel and I tagged along as a spouse. The hotel has been described in other reviews so I will not repeat a description here. It rained most of the time we were there but an abundance of large umbrellas all over the hotel ensured we had one when needed. We were staying in a large single bedroom villa which was almost the furthest from the lobby area. The hotel were having some problems with the door locks and on arrival I walked to my villa and then had to walk all the way back as my key did not work. Several others in our party had the same problem and it did get annoying. However, having said that my overall experience was very good, the staff could not do enough for you and nothing was too much trouble, I cannot remember when I have ever encountered a hotel with such helpful staff.
The highlight for me was the spa, the facilities were as good as you would ever find in Asia and my massage ranks as one of the best. Communication at the spa in english was difficult but then I should speak Chinese. I was disappointed that I could only fit in one massage as it was certainly worth a repeat visit.
This hotel is certainly somewhere I would wish to return to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pjacko,

Thank you very much for choosing the Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa as your preferred choice of accommodation and we do appreciate your valuable feedback and comments regarding your stay. We always enjoy hearing about the things we do right, this allows us to continue to strive for excellence and I will share your most favorable sentiments and your kind feedback and comments with my entire team.
Our SPA team is also very happy to hear that you have truly appreciated their facilities and services of this high class and outstanding Mandara SPA brand. We are offering to all our guests a very enjoyable, outstanding and memorable SPA experience. We have lately introduced a new SPA package and afterwards indulge in the experience extract of classic Pullman afternoon tea!
We regret that you obviously encountered some difficulties when returning to your villa with the door lock and I would like to share with you our high interest and dedication to examine thoroughly these shortcomings, please rest assured that is not part of our usual standards and we are working together with the engineering department to avoid similar situation in the future. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I got a room on the 2nd floor which is overlooking the stunning view of the jade dragon snow mountain. The room is nice , modern and spacious. Most hotels in china is with small rooms and hard bed or pillows but Pullman keeps its standard. Staffs are friendly and helpful and they can arrange the taxi to Dayan old town which cost 30-40 yuan . Dont forget to bring the hotel name card and ask the staffs to write in mandarin so you can show the taxi driver when you return to the hotel. There are many local restaurants inside the old cities but not nearby Pullman. But they have ala carte menu for lunch or dinner. I think staying at Pullman is much better than inside the old cities as there were so much noises from the bars and restaurants at night. Will definitely come back there again when I return to Lijiang.

• Stayed July 2014
h7231-GM, General Manager at Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Yoelitta,
Thank you very much for choosing the Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa as your first choice of accommodation. I am very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and also our facilities and our personalized service and attention to details. We always enjoy hearing about the things we do right, this allows us to continue to strive for excellence. Our Deluxe Villas with one or two bedrooms offer a hot soak tub in the courtyard and our free horse carriage service to Shuhe Old Town brings a lot of fun for our guests and especially the kids.
Thank you very much for all your valuable suggestions to visitors coming to Lijiang and we look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the near future.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I just came back from a 5 day holiday at this amazing resort. The facilities were excellent and service of the staff was amazing. They handled every request with great efficiency and always with a smile. They seemed to remember every preference we had. we certainly will go back!!!
No better way to recharge your batteries!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
h7231-GM, General Manager at Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear HansL573,
thank you very much for choosing the Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa as your preferred choice of accommodation and I know that I speak on the behalf of my entire resort team when I say, that we all truly appreciate your kind comments and to hear that we were able to meet your expectations in the commitment and quality associated with our hotel.

Thanks again for your kind feedback and it is our honor to have you and your family as our guest and hopefully we will be able to welcome you again soon!
Check in - Chill out !