“Mama Naxi 1 is best” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 2,483 Lijiang B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australia
“Mama Naxi 1 is best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Currently there are 2 Mama Naxi hostels in Lijiang.

We stayed at Mama Naxi #3 the first night (where Mama Naxi herself lives) and Mama Naxi #1 (the old/original location) on a second night after going to Tiger Leaping Gorge.

Mama's meal (held at MN#3) is very good as people say. You'll get to try a few Naxi dishes and probably meet other travellers. Mama definately is kind and welcoming by default, but showed a bad temper when we tried to check-in when none of her staff were about, and again when we came home at 11.30pm and she'd just gone to bed in the lobby.

Mama Naxi #1 was the far better experience. The staff member there was very polite and helpful and the place was quieter and more relaxed than #1. I'd suggest staying at #1 so you can keep Mama at a reasonable distance, and you won't have to wake her up if you stay out past 11pm.

Room Tip: Go Mama Naxi #1
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed first at Mama Naxi's first location in a private room with a bath. It cost 150RMB and was lovely, quiet, clean and her daughter was incredibly helpful in helping us with travel advice. We were very grateful.

We stayed the second night at the dorm room Mama Naxi's for 40 RMB per bed. This location had a great offering of 25 RMB for a Naxi family style meal with 7-8 different dishes. which was really fun. Mama Naxi also gave us free bananas on our arrival. The second location was much younger and livelier BUT it was significantly worse because we were eaten alive by mosquitoes which did not happen at the first location. We found out in the morning (TOO LATE!) you could rent an anti-mosquito gizmo for 20 RMB but shouldn't that be included if mosquitoes are a problem. We had bites on our faces and any body part that came out under the covers. We have spent more than two weeks in Yunnan and this was the only place that the mosquitoes were this bad.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I have noticed a marked split in the reviews of Mama Naxi's and I can see why - it really depends what type of trip you're on, and what you're looking for from your stay.

For budget travellers, this place is ideal - family style Naxi dinners for guests, huge serving portions, good English spoken, a warm bready roll on your arrival, central old town location, help with transport and trips to the surrounding region - plus its all very cheap for touristy LiJiang. It's a great place to stay if you're hoping (and wanting) to get chatting to other travelers, and for 35 Kuai for a bed in a dorm room you really can't go too far wrong!

However, if you are looking for something more refined or relaxing (my departure was met with early morning yelling which must have woken the while hostel, as my newly found travel companion wasn't ready ahead of time for our taxi ride to the train station) you are wise to chose elsewhere.

This kind of communal living is not for everyone. One quirk of the place is that Mama Naxi has a bed and sleeps in the main reception / kitchen area - not necessarily what you'll want to be greeted with after an evening out, or on an early morning start. There are likely other oddities that time in China has made me oblivious to!

Other things to bear in mind are that they take a 100 RMB deposit for each booking - don't forget to pick it up before you leave!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs to get a good night sleep in the dorm rooms!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Rachel W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I am not someone who write bad reviews about places as is it their way of life and I am simply one guest out of thousands BUT I was far from impressed with this place, especially mama.

Upon arrival, I asked if they accept my YHA card, at first the reply was 'no' so I decided to look elsewhere. As I was walking out the door Papa calls me back saying that they do accept my YHA, so I decide to stay. Mama inmediately started demanding the money, shouting 'money money money', not the greatest first impression. The dorm was cramped, there are literally a couple of toilets and showers for the majority of the guests and Mama is always shouting, in your face and just the opposite of chilled out relaxed easy going person.

When I checked in I paid for two nights up front as I was unsure of how long I would stay. I needed one more night and when I returned late in the evening I asked if I could pay for the final following evening. Just like that, Mama decided that I would not get my YHA discount, she had all day to tell me this and waited until late evening to inform me. This may sound pathetic but when you run a guesthouse, guest satisfaction is of the upmost importance and the only impression I got was that they wanted me to leave. If you read some of the other reviews people talk about Mana storming in the dorm shouting, changing her mind on a whim.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Lijiang hotels

Zhanjiang, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed in a dorm here and found the place okay. It is a little grubby in places, at times, but tolerable. The shared bathroom is inadequate for the number of guests it is required to service and totes an unfortunate miasma towards the end of the day. On the plus side, however, the staff are very helpful, and Mama is a true Mama, though a little overbearing at times. The family dinner is excellent value and the food very good; it's also a good way to meet other travelers and avoid the exorbitant restaurant prices common in the rest of the Naxi simulacrum that is Lijiang old town. They got us to the start of the Tiger Leaping gorge trek without fuss, and this place is just about cheap enough to be considered reasonable value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Haifa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

stay here 5 nights and we fall in love with MAMA !
the atmosfere and the family diner are excelent
the room - a double with insuite bathroom is a good value for the price
the location in the heart of the old town is easy to find and everybody now mama naxi
we highly recomended this hostel

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

Stayed here 2 nights as a base to get off to tiger leaping gorge

Certainly not easy to find (read impossible unless you run into the right people) but the location is good nonetheless. In the heart of the old town.

Good dorms, clean showers. Nice courtyard and bar/restaurant area where wifi is accessible too

Good level of English spoken by mama's daughters who will help you organise trains, flights , tours etc

Mama is very welcoming despite speaking minimal English. Little touches like slicing apple and distributing or topping up your water bottle before you go on long journeys make this place very homely indeed

I didn't bother booking but many others were getting turned away, so something to think about...

Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo