“Lovely hotel”

Huifeng Inn Shuhe
Ranked #19 of 923 Hotels in Lijiang
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

The Huifeng Inn is a charming hotel quite central in the little town of Shuhe. Our room was lovely, the bathroom very modern and the service excellent. When the pool was being refilled they helpfully took us to their other hotel so that the children could play in the pool. Our only irritation was that some other guests objected to our children playing in a perfectly reasonable and normal way at about 6pm one evening in the courtyard so they ended up miserable having done nothing wrong.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I totally concur with all positive things said about this hotel so far. The decor is beautiful, room is clean and spacious. We (6 of us) were there end of March.I had a room on the ground floor in front of the courtyard. We were there end of March. In the day, the weather was nice/cool but temperatures dropped during the night but luckily, there was a mechanical fireplace in the room which made it nice and cozy. Our group couldn't stop taking photos as it was a really pretty hotel. The hotel is right in the middle of the Shuhe old town and 1 minute walk to the main street of the old town. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. My only grievance was that the drainage in the bathroom was stuck, and by the end of your bath, you'd be wading in the water. I informed the staff on 2 different occasions about that and the toilet roll holder that came off the wall but nothing was done about it the whole time we were there (we stayed 3 nights). Nonetheless, I will still stay there again (maybe coz I am not a fastidious person).
One note is that the hotel is not accessible by car so our tourist driver stopped us just inside the ancient city walls and the hotel came with 2 three wheeler motorbike to take our lugguage.
We walk about 5 to 10 minutes to the hotel.
Lijiang is a beautiful place to visit - with the right guide. We had just arrived from Dali where we had a bad experience with the guide. In Lijiang, we were lucky to have Sunny. She took time to explain the sites/cultures and shared some interesting folklore stories. As previously requested, she did not take us shopping unless we asked and on one occasion when we were running late, she bought us snacks with her own money as we were all feeling rather hungry. She is softspoken and sincere and we never felt that she was trying to fleece us in anyway at all. Her english was also clear and understandable. I would not hesitate to recommend her services to friends and family. If you are looking for a reliable guide, she is contactable at sunnylfx88@sina.cn

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I debated how to write this review. I really liked Huifeng Inn ( the original inn). It is a traditional Chinese courtyard home, built around 3 courtyards. The first courtyard has a small swimming pool (cold when we were there, but some children did use it) but it is a cool welcome into the hotel after a hot dusty day. The second and third courtyards each have a pleasant sitting area, rooms are arranged around these 3 courtyards. Most are on the main level with a few on a second story. The rooms are quite large, many consisting of a sleeping area with ( usually) a king size bed and a separate seating area with a flat screen tv ( no English channels we could find, but some shows have subtitles). The rooms I saw were charming, with wooden ceilings, wooden floors, traditional carved beds ( some with a canopy) . Some also had their own little patio outside on which to relax, have tea or read. We had a large room on the second floor with a peaked wooden ceiling, doors on the west that opened wide to let in the breeze, wooden plank flooring, lovely traditional furniture, a wooden seating arrangement ( traditional but made comfortable with pillows.) The coffee table had a complete tea making service, which I didn't try, it did unfortunately take up the entire coffee table. The east side of the large room was windows, latticed, that looked directly into the next house, almost unavoidable in this small town. We just closed drapes at night. It was light and airy. The bathroom was modern, with tub and a separate shower. The bed and bedding were good, comfortable. Some amenities were provided including robes ( humorously small) and slippers.
It was a very large , charming and aesthetically pleasing room. Being on the second floor we had more privacy- at least from other guests. WIFI worked well. There appeared to be both heating and AC, I considered turning on the heat in the mornings, but the Chinese instructions stopped me. (I'm sure the staff would have helped me, but as it warmed up quickly , I didn't ask )
The staff was very nice and helpful, but spoke little English. (That is not a complaint, just a simple statement of fact).
The location in the old town was central, you had a bit of a walk to the hotel ( although the took our bags) but once there you were close to everything .
We did have some small issues, there were few plugs for appliances and they were at bedside, a slippery shower floor, and the usual, no closet or place to put bags, hang clothes or really put toiletries. My standard complaint about most hotel rooms. Skip the breakfast there, the western breakfast really wasn't good.
Despite all the charm and comfort, I simply cannot recommend this hotel to anyone . The hotel is 1 block from the bar street and each night from at 9 to at least mid night,( we were there 3 nights) the extremely loud music disturbed the entire neighborhood, including a very heavy base that you not only heard but felt in your body. Not even prescription sleeping pills and ear plugs shut out the noise and vibration.
You should look elsewhere if you wish to sleep anytime before midnight. People that stayed in other inns around Shuhe, were astounded at my issue, so look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Even before my stay at this hotel, Jet (the hotelier) was most accommodating in all my queries which believe me was a lot, lots of back and forth emailing - I am truly grateful to him for that and with this great impression I was sincerely excited for my trip.

Unfortunately, all that excitement anticipated didn't quite deliver.

We were assigned to a room on the ground level within the courtyard. That was fine but upon entering the room it was pretty dimly lighted. The size of the room was fine but the cream coloured couch you did not want to physically sit on it as it was quite stained and looked like it needed deep cleansing! And that too goes for the small carpet placed in front of the TV, it looked super dusty, we kept our slippers on the whole time.

Moving on to the bathroom, the first thing you noticed was the slight "off" smell. There are no windows so I guess there is constantly a dampy smell/feel. Also noticed there are mold on the tiles on the wall, but all this is not the worst compared to the leaking of the water from the shower seeping through the glass door. Each night we had to request for floor mats to absorb the water, we also note that whilst using the white mats to absorb the water, the white mat literally turned black, is that saying how dirty the bathroom floors are??

Unfortunately, the worst experience was on our last night dealing with extremely noisy and inconsiderate guests above our room. The creaky wooden floors were bad enough but with the people talking loudly as they do in Mainland China and kids running here and there, it was just too much to tolerate. This was not only happening above us but also with people talking in the courtyard plus smoking. I think it was about 10.30pm at night when my husband went out and spoke to them nicely and they apologised and quieten down for all 5 minutes or thereabouts!!

I think the noise got worst at 11.30pm, my husband again went outside and spoke with the staff on duty. They both went upstairs to address this matter. It was pretty much in vain to be honest but the noise did die down before 1am. We both weren't feeling that well so it made the matter worst and quite frustrating.

I have to say that the staff were all quite pleasant and always ready with smiles. We also had a complimentary driver picking us up at the airport and very timely too. As the roads were closed off for cars inside Shuhe, we had a staff with a bike to pick up our luggage and escorted us to the hotel and same too as when we departed the hotel, they also assisted us in transporting our luggage to the car park area.

Whilst exploring Shuhe area, we also came across the Newer Huifeng Inn - it looked lovely, nicer and cleaner and with a little bar area by the pool but the area it was located was still very much a developing part so a lot of construction work going on.

I love Shuhe town and like a lot of other people didn't really like Lijiang town.

It was just too bad that I had too much expectation for this place since it was rated so highly on this website. Its with no pleasure to say that I will definitely not stay here again. There are so many and similar hotels everywhere and probably for a cheaper rate too. Not sure if this is just in China but I was asked to pay immediately upon arrival which has never happened before in all my travels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilovejapan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The location is great, room is clean, fully equipped, and well-decorated....the bed was,so comfy, and it came with electronic blanket. The service from Jet and his crews was excellent!! They provided what we asked for, they also gave us really good travel advice, and helped to arrange driver for us at very good price. We love Lijiang, not only because of all of the spectacular places, but also because of the hotel we stayed....super impressed!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Legallycute
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I strongly endorse what others have already said (Jon C,tinadam). This is wonderful place to stay where all the staff are fully orientated to meet the wishes of the guests. It is especially relaxing on the soul as there really are no nitty picky irritations that compromise the offer here. You can chill out, take a suggestion for a tour, look around Shuhe, have a holiday. The rooms are quiet, well designed and the beds are a dream. A big well done to the owners, managers and staff.

The only real aspect that I can advise would be to avoid Lijiang old town - due to high pressure selling antics on the streets and then the street by street of identikit shops. Shuhe has an altogether more relaxed, hippie feeling to it, although also not without the ubiquitous domestic tourist groups. Generally I found the Lijiang area to be very highly priced and over-hyped (my Chinese wife was disappointed about that), I guess as long as tourists keep coming that’s fine but it does not bode well for repeat visits as like any destination, it has to compete on its relative merits and reputation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David K
Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Even though there is now a "bigger and better" Huifeng Inn ( No 2 ) - this remains the gem of Shuhe from the moment you walk through the entrance into the foyer which feels more like your lounge room and typifies what a true Inn should feel like to a weary traveller.
Jett will welcome you with a smile (and organize any trips / restaurants / bar suggestions required ). Artoo and Lily (Owners) make me feel like a long lost brother (4th visit), and don't be shy , sit down and enjoy the experience of the "Tea-Master" (Artoo) who not only designed the courtyards and rooms , but also all of the furniture in each room from local recycled timber. I will admit that Artoo and Lily have become good friends over the 4 stays in 3 years, but that has nothing to do with this review ( they are No 1 and don't need me to review actually), it is simply based on honest experiences and because the Huifeng has become my home away from home.
I will also admit I have not stayed at other Shuhe Inns to compare - why? - because as every traveller knows, when you find that rare gem - even with the odd draught coming through the cracks in the wood - you just keep wanting to go back.

Room Tip: "Love the upstairs Shangrila Room with private balcony overlooking main courtyard - but watch y...