“Desperately Disappoint Evening”
Review of Restaurant Major - CLOSED

Restaurant Major
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Croatian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Major offers high quality creative cuisine with popular prices. Indulge all your senses. Seasonal and fresh products and mutual harmony of wine and food is the pleasure we want to provide.Being inspired with healthy Mediterranean cuisine and local products from the soil, the sea and the air, our young team of cooks has prepared innovative menus which will provide you with memorable gastronomical experience which will exceed your expectations and cosset your palate.
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Let me state clearly that I was so looking forward to our meal here and to adding to the glowing reviews on here. I trust you guys and had no reason to expect anything other than very good food. It is why I go to restaurants. To enjoy the food not find fault. My reviews on TA are overwhlemingly positive. However the food was a huge disappointment. Yes the restaurant is in a great location overloooking an impressive valley. The pick up and drop off was brilliant and appreciated.The airport had one plane take off so not an issue and wouldnt have been for me if it had been. The service attentive in an old fashioned way but I think our unhappiness with the food was evident so Alberts manner to us was not really maintained. The menu read well and yes different from offerings in Cavtat though pricier than some had suggested and wine list reasonable. So all was set fair until the food arrived. I could not resist the scallops dish as a starter and Wendy had the mozzerella and tomato. Firstly I was disappointed when my dish arrived on two counts firstly it looked nothing like the picture on here. Secondly they were pretty small and pale. Not particularly fresh or attractive looking. Worse still though when I started eating them they were well overcooked and as a consequence rubbery. The biggest sin was that none of the 4 scallops had been trimmed properly. The "catch" muscle was still attached. This bit of muscle is strong—it's the one the scallop uses to clamp its shell shut in order to defend itself. It's tough and unpleasant to eat, and any home cook worth his or her salt would remove before cooking. Sorry to go in to detail but I wanted to stress how far removed from Michelin cooking (as some have suggested) this was. I have to admit though to being cowardly and not sending it back straight away. That was my fault, my issue not Alberts and a bit pathetic but thats the way I am. I have only ever complained once in my 52 years in a restaurant. This should have been my second. Wendys mozzerella was bland and tasteless and she ate less than a quarter. Albert questioned her but more in the way that she had chosen badly. My main the veal shank was better but only ok. 4 pieces of meat on a very sticky and cloying sauce but edible. Wendy had Baked roll of trout with truffles and camembert sauce and it simply did not work for us and again more than half of it left. By which time Albert had lost patience and he seemed as happy to see the back of us as we were to leave, feeling really bad about an evening we had anticipated so much. I just dont know why our experience differs so much from others on here. I would feel better if someone from the Restaurant came on and said it was the chef fell ill or some explanation. It must be better than this? As I say I agree that it is a lovely restaurant in a fab situation but dont take for granted that the food will live up to its billing or setting. It didnt for us.

8  Thank andwendads

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Indeed the best high class restaurant food we tried so far in Cavtat.
Unfortunately restaurant provides no athmosphere. Everything is very simple with no style. Service is average and the bottle of wine we took was really awfull.. I think while Cavtat restaurants continue to imrpove, Major will have less and less clients..

3  Thank Chuk_I_Gek
Reviewed 22 June 2012

this was recommended as the number 1 restaurant in cavtat. We were picked up for free by the hotel and taken back. We arrived about 8pm and greeted by a friendly waiter, there was only another two couples there. The food was very good and the staff were very attentative, allowing time between each course. This restaurant is away from the main centre of cavtat and is set back in the hill just outside. Unfortunately there is no view to speak of except the airport which is opposite, however, was far enough away so the noise of the planes did not really impede on the evening. In fact if you are like me and are fascinated by planes , it was quite nice watching them take off and land. In all the food was of good quality, the only disappointing drawback perhaps was the lack of ambience and lack of a view

2  Thank julie B
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Very nice food with something a bit diffrent to the other local restaurants,staff are lovely and they will pick you up and drop you back at no charge as its about 5-10 min drive from the center of Cavtat, definatly my favorite place whilst we were there.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

If you want an extraordinary food experience I would recommend you try Restaurant Major. The food and service is great and on our 12 day trip to Croatia this is the most memorable restaurant experience. Its located a bit outside Cavtat, but the restaurant has a shuttle bus that picks you up at the bus station in Cavtat and brings you back for free. The staff was super nice and even though the restaurant has a view to the airport its quiet and beautiful there.

A must try if you are in Cavtat.

PS: the prices are good.

1  Thank TorbjrnHaugen