“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Cavtat
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed for a week in July and found the hotel to be super. We had a modern, spacious room on the 7th floor with a lovely balcony and a great sea view. The standard of cleanliness throughout the whole hotel is high, and the service is excellent. We liked the pool and the surrounding area, with the shelter of the pines. We were not so keen on the piped music round the main pool area, but there is a quiet area round the side overlooking the sea, so this wasn't a problem.We were staying on a b+b basis so only had breakfast in the hotel. There is a huge selection every morning, including eggs cooked to your preference as you wait. I agree with previous reviewers that the dining room is a bit soulless, but there are always plenty of tables available.

Cavtat is a lovely little town with plenty of bars and restaurants. I'd recommend the restaurant Dalmacia as it had a more interesting menu than most of the others. There was always lots going on in the evening in the town with the locals, such as water polo games and live music. The only downside is that the view of the bay from some of the bars is restricted by luxury yachts moored up - though many tourists seemed to be fascinated by these boats.

Getting to and from Dubrovnik is easy. I'd recommend taking the bus there, at 17 kuna, and getting a small ferry back, at 50 kuna. Don't think about getting the bus back from Dubrovnik old town, as it involves a very long walk up a very steep hill to get to the bus stop. Dubrovnik old town is wonderful and a walk round the city walls is a must. Just don't do it in the midday heat, though!

I'd definitely return to Hotel Croatia in Cavtat and highly recommend it.

3 Thank lauren55
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Guest,

It is always such a wonderful incentive and true motivation for me and my team to receive such a wonderful feed back of your stay with us at the “Croatia” hotel.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed the view from your room as well as the cleanliness of the hotel and the service provided by our staff. We also gladly noticed the fact that you, as bed & breakfast customer, enjoyed our breakfast in term of variety and quality
We hope to have you soon back to the hotel which may become very soon your “home away from home”….

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments and best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed here for a week in July. While I had requested a room on the 6th floor or higher on my booking (based on other tripadvisor recommendations), when I arrived I had been allocated a room on the 4th floor. I mentioned this to the staff at reception but they said they didn't have anything on a higher floor, they might have something the next day. In any case, I was happy with the view from the room on the 4th floor and didn't want the hassle of moving rooms.

Pros: Overall, the hotel was relaxing and quiet despite the number of rooms and guests but a few things could do with improving.

We found that breakfast up to 10am was too early for us while we are on vacation. In most other 4 or 5 star hotels, I have stayed at they serve breakfast up to 11am. We also found the standard of food at breakfast was not very good with a lot of diluted juices and tinned fruits on offer. We stayed at the Valamar La Croma Hotel last year and breakfast was much better even though it's not a 5 star hotel. Because of the disagreeable time and food, we ended up skipping breakfast and buying it down in Cavtat. One day we went to the pool bar to see if we could buy some toast, juice and tea for breakfast but they said they didn't have any butter or jam as that was only for breakfast!! In a 5 star hotel, you would imagine they could source some butter and jam!

Tea/coffee making facilities in the room have been requested by other guests but there weren't any there when I stayed. The Valamar La Croma hotel had these in their rooms.

There does seem to be a problem with the sunbeds. We found it very difficult to get a bed at the pool or which wasn't in the shade at the beach as people seemed to have put their stuff on them for the day even though they weren't there for hours at a time. I witnessed an altercation between two guests where one accused the other of moving their towel and taking their bed. It would be nice if there were some beds or chairs provided on the peaceful cliff side of the hotel. I couldn't sit on the cement due to an injury.

I think the rooms need to cleaned more thoroughly. I noticed a lot of dust etc on the bathroom surfaces. The glasses in the room were never cleaned or replaced during our stay.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel but I think they are catering for a lot of package holidays which has resulted in some complacency in the standard of service for a 5 star hotel.

2 Thank TrishIreland
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments concerning your stay at the „Croatia“ hotel. I am pleased to see that overall, you had a very pleasant and relaxing stay in our property.

I took good note of your concerns regarding the sun beds. In fact we are now trying to solve this challenge by removing systematically all towels on the sun beds which are not occupied for more than 30 minutes in order to avoid people to “reserve” their place hours in advance. We do have a total of 600 sun beds all over the property for 500 rooms which should normally full fill the needs of our clients.

We will also definitely revise some of the breakfast items to make sure that all of them meet your expectation for your next venue.

Thank you again for your positive comments which will help us to make our operation better season after season and I hope to see you soon back in our property.

Best regards from the sunny Dubrovnik.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Hotel Croatia is certainly "five star" status. The first front door welcome and the warm greeting from the staff at the modern and spacious Reception desk, got our hoiliday off to a good start.

Our room on the sixth floor was modern, clean and spacious and had all the necessary facilities including a large balcony giving access to a wonderful sea view, a great scene first thing every morning.
Room service was first class. Even when we forgot to leave the "please clean the room" sign on the outside of the door, our room had been cleaned and was spotless. A welcome site on our return to our room after a long and sticky day, in the searing heat of Bosnia/Herzegovina.

Overall , the hotel facilities were excellent including the outdoor swimming pool, although you had to be early to secure poolside loungers. The large bathing platform located immediately beneath the hotel on the sea front, provided access to a cool and relaxing swim in the roped off area of the Adriatic Sea. There could have been more parasols in this area although the staff were always helpful. The view across the bay to the harbour was stunning.

Now to the food and restaurant.
Although buffet style service, the food was still "five star" standard with plenty of variety and this from someone who has stayed in other five star hotels. From the breakfast to the evening meal there was always something available to satisfy the taste buds. The food choice also had to satisfy a cosmopolitan clientele. I have read some negative comments about the food and I can't understand it !!!
However everyone has different tastes.
The restaurant staff were excellent and friendly and always on hand to assist when required.
I can understand the comment about the size of the restaurant and lack of intimacy but this must be a difficult balance to achieve for a hotel, with the capacity for so many guests. It makes a change to enter a restaurant and find a table without any truoble.

Cavtat itself is a beautiful location although I had my reservations prior to arrival. I'm pleased I listened to some sound advice.
Each night after dinner, we would stroll down to Cavtat town, via "the steps" (and back again), along the promenade to the many restaurants, cafes and shops lining the sea front.
The beautiful yachts berthed in the harbour alongside the promenade added to the tranquil setting, providing a relaxing location for drinks, cafe chat and people wtaching.

We will definitely be back.

3 Thank Jinky67_11
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you of taking the time to report the impression of your stay at the "Croatia" hotel in Trip Advisor. It is extremely important to us to receive your feedback and so, correct any eventual wick points in order to make you next stay with us even more enjoyable.

I am pleased to see that our establishment has been over all your expectations and that you particularly appreciated the friendliness and attitude of our staff as well as the hotel facilities.
It is also good to see that you were plainly satisfied with both, variety and quality of our food in our restaurant outlets.

I really hope to see you returning soon in our hotel and becoming part of our large “family” of satisfied return guests.

Again thank you and best regards from the sunny Dubrovnik.

Lancs UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

A beautiful hotel with an amazing situation. Stunning decor well trained helpful staff and outstanding facilities...genuine five star experience but sadly let down by the dining room.An atmosphere like an industrial canteen...far too large busy and noisy. Stay bed and breakfast and take advantage of stylish restaurants on the Cavtat waterside.Meals in the best restaurant was actually cheaper that the Hotel which charges 27 euros for dinner.The best hotel in the area and well worth the visit with the above caveat.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank wheeler1945
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor the feed back of your stay with us. We are pleased and proud to see that you enjoyed our property that much… describing your stay with us as a "genuine five star hotel experience" !!!

I understand your concern regarding the main restaurant atmosphere and decoration which will be definitively fixed for next year. It is not easy to make an 800 seats restaurant look as intimate as we wish which is why we asked an interior designer to review the entire restaurant concept for next season.

Concerning the restaurant prices, I can ensure you that our prices are on line with the best restaurant in the village of “Cavtat”, despite of the fact that our charges and margin results as a 500 rooms and 350 employees hotel cannot be compared with a private 5 to 6 employees restaurant.

Thank you again for you precious time and we will be happy to welcome you again to the “Croatia” hotel hopefully for the next season.

Best regards from the sunny Dubrovnik.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

The first impression I got of this hotel was not good, as i felt it had a bit of an attitude problem. If you are comparing this with five star elsewhere you will be slightly disappointed. We had spent a week in a four star hotel in Montenegro and then came here for our second week. I would not rate this hotel higher than the one we came from. Our room was smaller and the bed linen was not great. My sheet had holes in it and had been 'turned'. You might need to be mature in years to understand what that means! The food and drink charges were at least twice that of the restaurants and bars in the resort itself. A cup of coffee was the equivalent of €4 compared with less than €2 elsewhere.
The resort is only a ten minute downhill stroll away and so we spent nothing in the hotel at all! Not one kuna! We have never done that before. The downhill bit is ok when you are heading into town, but beware the return. It's heart attack inducing.
The other issue I have was the term 'beach' of which you are informed there are two. Well they are not beaches. What you have is access to the sea. Having said that we did swim quite a bit as the water is lovely.
Breakfast was great. I have to give them five stars there. And to be truthful, when we explored the other hotel options, we decided that we were actually in the best spot. The four start hotels in the area behind the main resort did not look pleasant at all. They seemed noisy and over populated. At least our hotel was peaceful and the views were super.
It is, however, cheaper to eat and drink in the area behind the resort and we found a great little restaurant that is that does grilled sardines, whitebait, etc. It doesn't look much, but the waiter was great and so was the food. I think it was called La Caprice.
Would I go back to Cavtat - yes. Would I stay in this hotel again - probably not. The uphill return was just too much for us and we aren't getting any younger.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xjbx
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to see that you rated our property as being the best one is the area and that you appreciated the quietness of the hotel as well as its fantastic sea view. We are also happy to see that you appreciated our breakfast and food facilities in general.

Concerning the hotel food & beverage prices, you may understand that, like anywhere in the world, it is difficult to compare the price of a hotel with the one of a local bistro. With 500 rooms and almost 400 employees, you will easily understand that our margin is far to be the same as a 5 or 6 employees establishment.

Like most of the time, what is called “beach” on the Croatian coast is in fact a cemented area equipped with sun beds and all necessary facilities with stair access to the sea water. At the end, what is important as you say is the quality of the sea water in our country.

It is a pity that you did not make use of our permanent golf car shuttle available 24 hours a day at our bell boy’s counter in order to avoid going up and down the hill through the long stairs leading to the beach and the village. It will have been so much easy for you.

Again thank you for your time and we truly hope to see you back at the “Croatia” hotel very soon.

Warmest regards

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

After having had our original holiday to Lake Nasser cancelled at the last minute we were very disappointed as we could only find a holiday in Croatia! We visited 'Hotel Croatia' on the recommendation of our local travel agent, so went with an open mind.

The hotel is immaculately clean. Rooms comfortable & spotless! Choose a superior sea view as we got to spot dolphins from our balcony!

Food is really good; buffet style but has something for everyone! We couldn't legislate for the rudeness of some of the Russian or other Eastern block countries guests, who feel it's ok to barge people out of the way to get to the food, but it was manageable. Some meal times are quieter than others so there isn't a problem. It certainly didn't stop our enjoyment of the food!

All hotel staff were professional yet friendly & very happy to help in any way. We especially enjoyed the contact with the pool team & the Bell captains.

This hotel has great facilities & spectacular views over the sea. The only drawback is the lack of sandy beach, but if you choose Croatia then you probably already know that they don't have sandy beaches! In this respect, the Hotel Croatia have done everything possible to provide access into the sea for guests, in the form of platforms, steps & ladders.

We really enjoyed our week at the Hotel Croatia, despite our initial reservations.

One criticism ( if it is that), is they should put tea/coffee making facilities in the bedrooms for early risers such as myself to get a cup of tea!

We'll definitely recommend & definitely go back again!

Well done Hotel Croatia!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor & book a superior sea view.
2 Thank LiverpoolLass1412
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Dear Guest,

No better way to start the day than by reading such encouraging comments as the one you took the time to report on Trip Advisor!

We, at the “Croatia” hotel, are convinced that staff attitude makes the difference with competition and I am extremely proud as a Hotel Manager to see that you were impressed by the friendliness of our colleagues. I also took good note of the fact that you were pleased with the food you enjoyed during your stay as well as the fantastic view you had from your room overlooking the Adriatic Sea.

We really hope to see you joining the large “family” of return guests we have in this property coming year after year for sometimes two generations.

I took also good note of the coffee maker missing in the room as being “the cherry on top of the cake”….

Skipton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

This welcoming, friendly, fabulous hotel is set in the most beautiful spot above the village/harbour of Cavtat. The sailing ships, the yachts and private cruisers, worth millions between them, where a spectacular view in the bay.
As my husband and I were quite fit we had no problem walking the 10 min path up and down to Cavtat, sometimes via the penninsular, with it's 124 steps!!! The hotel offers a complimentry car service from the beach bar up and down to the village - speak to the good looking guys in grey by the front door in reception.
Every member of the staff at the hotel was friendly, charming, helpful and always willing to please. The facilities were spotless and well cared for. The pool area especially was immaculate... they even cleaned out and changed the pool water over night one night so it was sparkling clean. Plenty of sunbeds and towels for all guests.
The food varied from being absolutely gorgeous to being something I wouldn't eat... but on the whole we managed to eat something every night from a range of dishes. The breakfast was excellent with an amazing amount of choices.
The hotel had a steak bar which we used and enjoyed very much.. you did get 40 kn pp back against your half board rate. The Spinnaker bar/restaurant was set in the bay (hotel beach) which was lovely for an early doors drink on way into Cavtat but as all bars in the hotel the drinks were twice the price of the bars in Cavatat. We didn't eat there but friends did and they were a bit disappointed with the food - all fish!!
So if you have problems with breathing, walking problems or just stuggle to get about either use the car service or choose a different hotel. It actually kept us fit and the over indulgence of the 2 wks we spent there it has kept the weight gain to a couple of pounds. Great holiday!! Would definately go again and recommend it to all.

Room Tip: Rooms beautifully clean and spacious. We paid extra for a sea view (on a higher floor is better) an...
1 Thank Elvisskipton
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to report your first impressions about the “Croatia” hotel upon your return. We appreciate your comments which help us to continue making our property more and more enjoyable to you.

We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed every single aspect of our operation and that you were pleased with the attitude and friendliness of our staff.

Concerning the stairs going up and down to accede the beach and the village we are please to announce you that we will have a second golf car arriving by the end of July, insuring so a permanent shuttle service between our property and these two places …

We truly hope to see you back very soon at the “Croatia” hotel.

Best regards from the sunny Dubrovnik,

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Cavtat
#2 of 68 in Dubrovnik
Hotel More
Hotel More
#7 of 68 in Dubrovnik

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!