“Great hotel, great holiday!”

Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Cavtat
Kent
“Great hotel, great holiday!”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Having just returned from a 2 week stay at the Hotel Croatia & read the reviews of people who stayed at the hotel during the same period, we are somewhat surprised about some of the negative comments posted & reviewers expectations.

Despite the hotel (487 bedrooms) being at maximum occupancy, including the Shell conference, there were no more than 2 occasions when the hotel appeared to be under strain in coping with the large numbers.

We found the staff to be attentive, courteous & helpful at all times in all areas of the hotel.

We, in common with some other reviewers, experienced a small number of minor issues however we received excellent service & all issues were resolved speedily & efficiently.

We found the Hotel Manager to be realistic & honest about the service within the hotel & very keen to resolve issues (we were particularly impressed with the speed he negotiated the steps from the Spinaker Restaurant to meet with us in reception!)

Some issues raised are valid but are no different to similar hotels of this size but comments posted regarding the attitude of staff we feel in some instances were in fact the result of the attitude of the guest!

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday, fantastic sea view room, excellent facilities, great pool area (we always managed to get a sunbed!), varied hot food choice & where else would you find a hotel with such beautiful views.

Loved this hotel, loved Cavtat, we will be back!

3 Thank SteveCKent
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear guest,

It is with a great pleasure that I personally read your comments on Trip Advisor and I thank you for taking the time to give to our future clients a brief resume of your holidays in our property.

I am pleased to see that we were able to fulfilled most of your desires and expectations.

Thank you for mentioning me and the way I solve the minor issue you encountered by the end of your stay. In fact, it is for me extremely important to react immediately when one our costumer has a complain. I think as a Manager that there nothing worse than having as costumer going back home frustrated because of the incapacity of the hotel to solve the issue he faced.

So, again thank you for your valuable comments and we really hope to see you coming back in our property as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Hotel manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Tucson
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My best friend and I went in September 2009 for a girl's trip. Hope this helps.

Locations & surroundings:
the hotel is located right above the water, after a nice walk down the stairs. Then you walk a short distance to the restaurants, shops, and water taxi pickup. Most of our adventures began after the water taxis, which weren't expensive and very quick. The property is hidden in the peninsula, and you can go on a 20-minute hike along the cliffs and you're still legally on the property.

Facilities & Interior:
The interior is generally modern. Lobby, hallways, restaurant, etc. The room is modern and has good space planning. As an American who has lived in Texas, the guest room and bathroom could be considered on the small side, but the layout is extremely efficient. The entire building is SOLID. We were there for 5 days and decided to leave a fat tip at the end of our trip (for 5 days of housekeeping). The housekeepers still kindly exchanged our towels and made our beds on a daily basis, but we always wonder how much more they would have done for us had we tipped them daily. An amateur mistake :) The staff was wonderful and was a true reflection of the Croatian people. Classy, welcoming, unpretentious, and friendly. This was my first trip to Europe, and Croatia made an amazing first impression.

September Crowd, Weather, and Figs:
Weather is perfect and kind of cool at night. Dubrovnik and Cavtat are less crowded due to summer being over. Fig season is at its peak and VERY short. If you are a fig fiend, you will be in heaven. If you aren't, you will probably become one. As for the water taxis, bring aboard some figs and pomegranates and ask the pilot if you can enjoy them on the front "hood" of the boat. I had my best friend with me, fresh fruit on hand, the Adriatic Sea around us, and the Mediterranean breeze blowing through our hair. Beautiful memories can be torture sometimes!

Room Tip: Tip Housekeeping Daily
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank dabblebabble
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for ranking us with the highest possible note on Trip Advisor and lating our future potential customers know about the quality of the various services we deliver at the Croatia" hotel.

I am pleased to see that you and your friend enjoyed our property so much. This is for us the best award we may receive in exchange of our hard work.

We sincerely hope to see you back soon in the hotel.

Best regards,

Clapham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

On the whole our holiday was good, the staff all seemed quite friendly, bar a couple and we had a nice room with a sea view (paid extra for that!). For a 5 star hotel it was a shame there were no tea and coffee making facilities. There were no hangers for trousers only shirts, no trouser press, no iron or ironing board and you get charged approx £5.00 per item if you want it ironed. (Health and safety they say, excuse for more cash I say). Good size en-suite with a great shower, the shaving mirror and hooks were falling off the wall and the safe was a nightmare, even snapped a key card in half trying to use it.
Don’t carry the key card near your mobile or it won’t work in your room door and then you will need to negotiate the lifts to get it reprogrammed and then it won’t work in the safe so that then needs re programming.
Fantastic weather, sea clear and warm, great private beach with good changing facilities, toilets, free sun beds, towels and parasols for hotel residents and an expensive café. Although all at the bottom of some very steep steps, OK going down, a pain going back up! I must say we enjoyed most of what the hotel had to offer, but, as a five star hotel I would expect certain things which this hotel lacked, you may say that I am being a little harsh on them, but if you call yourself 5 star, you need to act that way.

Cleanliness
I noticed a bug splattered on our curtain remained untouched for two weeks, the carpets were never vacuumed, the balcony not cleaned, the drinking glasses not changed, the towels were sometimes changed, other times flannels missing then no towel for the bathroom floor, dusting was obviously done from a distance…the next floor!!

The Lifts!!
What a joke, three tiny lifts, only two ever working at the same time and crowds of people pushing to get in them. (Not the Brits of course, we were pushed aside). Most not understanding which were going up and which down. The size and number of the lifts must have been a design fault, there were just too few, too small and too slow for the number of people trying to use them.

The towels and sun beds
If you like a swim at 8am when the hotel pool opens, enjoy! if you want to dry off after said swim you have to wait until 10am for a towel!!!
The towels and sun beds on the beach are said not to be reserved but they are (by the staff not the Germans!) and twice there were no towels available!! They were being laundered. (2 Star!)
Here you need to be non British and do as the Romans do, or in this case The Russians and basically take a sun bed that has a book on it and a clean dry towel laid across it or stand and demand a bed from the staff member there, (not that it helps) better just to get there by 10 am.

The Food
Get ready for a free for all at all meal times, get pushed in front of, pushed aside, try dodging the kids running up and down between the tables and the waiters trolleys that always appeared in front of you, unless you want more coffee and then they are suddenly gone!
We booked half board, breakfast was fine except the fried eggs had a strong shield covering the yoke and all food was luke warm at best, you had a choice of breads, but if you wanted to cut your own, you could use the bluntest knife on the planet to cut a wedge shape piece of bread (because you need to leave a straight edge for the next person) and then wait to use the ONE toaster, then get pushed in front of by anyone who was not British.
Dinner, although again plentiful and themed was not of a 5 star standard, 3 star at a push. Firstly, you were expected to dress up a little for this, although they never seemed to enforce this rule. Again all luke warm and any fish was so salty it was indistinguishable and inedible and all meats overcooked to oblivion. Lucky for me I like salads and they did have cold cuts of rare roast beef. If you liked the standard of the food, there was plenty of it although if you want a coffee to end the dining experience, forget it! You could order one but by the time you get it, the coffee is cold, talking of dining experience, for some reason they employ a Pianist to “play” (loosely used that tem) during your fight at dinner, the woman playing whilst we were there hit more bum notes than correct ones, ear plugs or ipod essential whilst she “plays”

Should you decide to use another of the hotels’ very expensive restaurants you can get a 40 kuna discount!!! Which in essence means the hotel values its own evening buffet at £5.00 per person. Or go to town and enjoy the same food at half the price.

The Drinks
Now you are talking 5 star!! Well in price at least, all twice the price of anywhere else on the planet and the mini bar!! don’t get me started on that!!,
Now, should you dare to suggest that the glass of wine you have just ordered in the piano bar is corked, you will get a less than 2 star reaction from the barman (he is lucky I did not catch his name!), who arrogantly tells me that you cannot replace the cork back in a red wine bottle as it won’t fit (try turning it around) and then uses cognac or brandy corks in the wine bottles and wonders why they are tainted. Always try the wine first! At 210Kuna for the house wine you should!!

Lost Something!
My wife left her hand bag on the back of a chair in the empty piano bar and the next day I asked at the bar if it had been found. Wrong thing to do, the girl was too busy bottling up to look, and told me as there was no note left by the bar staff, so there was obviously no bag found.
I went to reception and asked there. The staff member looked at me for a moment then took one step backward looked left and right as if crossing a road and said no! I asked if there was a policy for lost property and was told that anything found is left here on the 50ft desk that he had just scanned with his x-ray vision!.
He did not ask for my name or room number, was not interested in the contents and really did not want to persue the conversation.
My wife went down 10 minutes later and the bag was in fact there, right in front of where the receptionist had been standing!!

Smoking
Could not believe it, you are eating and right next to you some one sparks up!! Ok, it is outside but that’s just wrong! And also when on the search for a towel one morning the staff at the pool café were all happily smoking in the kitchen.

I can’t end on a negative, so, all in all a good holiday, most staff great, good sense of humour and friendly enough, if they called themselves a 3 or even 4 star and adjusted their prices I would have said all is well in the world.

2 Thank Will C
HotelCroatia, General Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the holidays you just spend in our property. I wish we could have provided you with a better experience despite of the fact that the hotel occupancy was exceptionally high during this period.

We are working hard in improving all our facilities as well as our service and I really hope that you will give us a second chance to show you the kind of service we normally provide at the hotel “Croatia”.

We thank you for the high ranking you gave us (4 on a maximum of 5) which show us that, despite of the different challenges you faced during you stay, you globally enjoyed your holidays with us and as you end up as a conclusion: “all in all a good holiday, most staff great, good sense of humor and friendly enough”….

Best regards from the sunny Dubrovnik,

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2011

A lovely hotel, very tastefully furnished and the restaurant food was really good with excellent variety. Would definitely go back the only fault with the hotel is the drinks in the bar are expensive, so the bars are very quiet in the hotel. There are a lot of steps down to Cavtat but it is worth the walk, it is a quiet but very scenic area. The steps back up late at night are hard going but that is fine if you are quite fit.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue3033
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving to our property the best possible note on Trip Advisor web page. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed every single facility of our hotel and we hope to see you soon back in Dubrovnik for some other holydays.
Warmest regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Booked 2 twins room through Monarch for my husband and myself and our two adult sons. On arrival we were allocated 2 double rooms and had to ask to change to 2 twin rooms (2 adult sons - what were they thinking?). One room did not have a fridge and the other room did not have a safe - just holes where these items should have been installed. We notified the hotel and they fitted these items, but the fridge looked very old and was not stocked up. Definitely not a 5 star standard. The air-con did not work properly in one of the rooms and also the sliding door to the balcony had a broken handle. We notified the hotel and waited for 45 mins in the room but nobody came so we went to have our breakfast, and when we returned the handle was fixed. However this sliding door was very problematic throughout our holiday and a struggle to open and close.

The hotel is at the top of many steps and it can be a daunting climb at the end of an evening, after a few glasses of wine!? There is a salt water pool with sun beds but it is difficult to find any empty beds unless you grab them first thing in the morning (like others to). There are steps leading to a private concrete beach at the back of the hotel, and one section is marked as nudist beach. There is another private beach closer to the Cavtat promenade.

The breakfast selection is very good but is only open until 10am which is a little early, I feel. We were on a half board basis and ate in the hotel for 3 nights only - the food was OK (depends on the day) but the atmosphere was like a canteen. The drinks are very expensive at this hotel but there isn't a supermarket near by; also they discourage using their fridge for your own food. There isn't a kettle or tea making facility in the rooms. There are no bathrobes either. The selection of amenities (shampoo, etc) differed each day, and also the quantity and quality of bath towels depended daily. The bed is hard and there are 2 pillows but one is too flat and the other is too high. Our rooms were located miles away from the reception (in a different wing), so it was very quiet.

All in all, it is definitely NOT a 5 star standard, more like 3.5. The only 5 star part is the price. Disappointing as their website is misleading. The hotel did try to fix the problems when we complained, but they should inspect their rooms to ensure that everything is in place and in working order before showing their guests in - basic but a very important point. It became embarrassing and tiring to have to keep complaining, especially when we expected a 5 star service. One of the staff said that this is more of a conference hotel, and that just about sums it up. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Candoooo
Dear Guest,

I feel sorry to see that your holidays with us were not as enjoyable as you were expecting. I really apologize for the inconvenient you encountered during your stay during an exceptional very high occupancy period due to a huge congress we were leading in our hotel. On another hand, I am glad to see that you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner in our main restaurant.

I wish you will have contacted me personally while you were in the hotel in order to fix immediately the inconvenient you suffered from.

I truly hope that, despite of this regular experience, you will come back in our establishment giving us so the chance to show you that most of our guest experiences are normally pleasant.

Thank you for your constructive criticisms and best regards,

Sheffield
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I totally agree with the last review: far too many rude people continually pushing in front of you at the lifts and in the restaurant.It became constant as it was very busy week beginning the14 of August.It has more of a corporate feel rather than a hotel for holidays.I travel frequently abroad for business and this is definitely not 5 star.I also note in the brochure the hotel has an BS IS9000 standard- of which I am surprised considering the state of the steps to the beach and the service in general.
However, the main reason I would not return to this hotel is because there are not enough amenities,ie swimming pool and bathing areas.I read the reviews before we went and was encouraged to read the sun bed issue was monitored.It was not !!at both the beach area and pool towels were left for hours at a time with no one on them.I saw several couples asking for help.I know its a busy time for the hotel but if you are paying for 5 star you expect service where nothing is too much trouble.

One last thing! Dont use the Vivado booking stand for trips.They forgot to pick us up and arrived back home from a trip at 8 .30 in the evening instead of 5.30.being stranded with 2 small children in the dark is not good.I complained to the hotel but they didnt want to know.It should be quality assured if it is a service provided in the hotel.I asked for my money back but they refused but was quickly returned when I told everyone in reception how they treated us.An apology was really what I wanted.

The hotel is in a stunning position and would be lovely for a visit but not for a rest.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for taking the time to give us your constructive remarks on Trip Advisor web page. I took good note of your main concern which was the lack of facilities in what the bathing areas concerns. We have in our property two very large swimming pools as well as two rocky beaches with a total of 550 sun beds for 500 rooms. Unfortunately like in most resort hotels and despite of the fact that we are trying to control the situation, some of our guests just put their towels on top of the sun beds with some personal effects (books or others) and disappear for hours pretending that this place cannot be used by somebody else.

Concerning the boat transfer by the concessionaire company Vivado, I already spoke to them about your complain.

I regret that you did not contact me personally during your stay at the hotel, so I could have got the opportunity to solve immediately your concerns.

Thank you again for your valuable time and best regards,

Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

A lovely hotel, with beautiful views of the bay. If possible get a sea view room. We stayed bed and breakfast which gave us the opportunity to sample the food at the many restaurants in Cavtat. There are loads of restaurants to choose from, no fast food places all very nice. Breakfast at the hotel had an extensive choice and service was very good. Sit outside to sample the view. Rooms and the whole hotel including outside were spotless. Rooms were well insulated, you couldn't hear other people walking along the corridor and it was lovely and quiet. Nice pool, although you couldn't get a sunbed in the morning. By late afternoon there were some free. One beach charged for sunbeds, the other option was to sunbath on the concrete rocks. it would have been nice if some padded mats were available for this. If I was going again I would take some. From this bay you could access the sea which was so clear and blue. Only downside was the 128 steps which some people may find very tiring. Very close to the restaurants and cafe's though. We didn't see the opportunity to use the golf cart which was mentioned. I would definitely recommend this hotel and resort, it actually delivered what it said.

Room Tip: Sea view room if possible
2 Thank 51happytraveller51
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for taking the time to right your impression on our hotel upon your return from holidays. I am extremely pleased to see that you enjoyed every single aspect of our property and that you had a memorable experience of your stay with us.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed quality and service as well as variety of our breakfast buffet every morning.

Concerning the steps between the hotel and the beach side as you mentioned, people have the choice between using our golf car shuttle facility or to exercise by using the steps leading to the hotel.

We hope to see you soon back at the hotel “Croatia”.

Best regards from the sunny Dubrovnik,

Hotel manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Cavtat
#4 of 67 in Dubrovnik
Hotel More
Hotel More
#10 of 67 in Dubrovnik

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!