“Return visit”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Cavtat
Kent
“Return visit”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

In 2011 we said "Loved this hotel, loved Cavtat, we will be back!"

Having just returned from a short break at the Hotel Croatia to celebrate our Mother's 80th birthday we can't speak highly enough of the service we received on our return visit.

We are surprised about some of the negative comments posted & do wonder whether other visitors did any research prior to travel. Hotel Croatia, with 480 rooms, is obviously a large hotel & because of it's hilltop location will obviously have many steps.

That said we didn't experience any difficulty getting from the hotel down to the bay & found the Bell Captain to be more than helpful & very efficient in organising various modes of transport, including the golf buggy, for our 80 year old Mother.

We found the staff to be extremely attentive, courteous & helpful & the food was plentiful & varied.

We made a number of special requests prior to travel & were pleased to find that not only were these met but the hotel had also provided extra treats to ensure our Mother's 80th birthday was a very special occasion.

There are wide ranging mixed reviews about this hotel but from our two experiences we have found the positives to far outweigh any negatives & without a doubt we will return again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SteveCKent
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Dear Mr. Kent,
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor Web page.
It was a pleasure to meet you and to host you and your family for this special occasion of the 80th birthday of your mother.
I am glad to see that you went back home with nice memories and I thank you for highlighting the quality of our food and services as well as the friendliness of our staff.
We hope to see you soon back to your “home away from home”.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

It's taken me a few weeks to get around to writing this, but that means I'm not blinded by post holiday blues. The Hotel Croatia in Cavtat, is 40 years old and was obviously built during Tito era Yugoslavia, so for the architecture fans among you, you will appreciate a style of building constructed in the communist, modernist style, and yet it does not feel cold, impersonal or monolithic.

We arrived at night, so in pitch darkness you cannot get a feel for the view. When we got up the next morning, we were greeted by what can only be described as views that you won't forget as long as you live and can banish the memories of a poor English summer in an instant. (We went in the first week in September) One side of the hotel looks out onto panoramic views of the Adriatic and the other out onto the town and harbour of Cavtat. You will appreciate how picturesque and sought after this location is when you see the constant procession of millionaire yachts that arrive and depart will regularity.

The hotel itself is spotless, absolutely spotless and if you observe the staff, they are constantly engaged in keeping it that way. If you read my review of Skiathos last year, you will find a contrast in the Croatian attitude of efficiency and the attitude of indifference that dominated in Skiathos last year. The room itself was well decorated and contemporary, will all the required information to hand. The beds were comfortable, the carpets clean and the bathroom was of a standard that one would expect from a hotel that claims a five star rating. I have stayed in very good hotels in Amsterdam, Berlin and Jena and the facilities here are of a standard that one would expect of a good Northern European hotel. There is a TV in the room. People are divided on the subject of a TV in the room, why would you want to go on holiday and watch TV? I watched a bit when I went to bed and when I was waiting for my wife to get ready, and unless you speak German (I do) you may as well not bother. To me that is no problem, but if you see a TV in a 5 star, you might expect a little more than the Croatian version of Freesat, but as I say, who goes on holiday to watch TV?

The restaurant is outstanding in the way it handles such large amounts of people and manages to feed them so efficiently. You will notice waiting on staff working non stop, clearing tables and plates. At first, this can be a little off putting, but a day or two in, you get used to it and you realise that it is that work ethic that keeps the show on the road. You may also notice that the staff at first can seem a little stern or dour, but keep in mind, they are dealing with people who speak many different languages and they cannot communicate for the most part. Give them a smile and they warm to you and by the end of the week, they are cracking jokes in broken English. Get out onto the terrace to eat and you will be rewarded with a view of the bay and town.

On the subject of the food, you will not be hungry, but if you are staying half board, expect the standard of the average Spanish 3 star all inclusive fair. I compare it to this because I went to Benidorm with my pals a day after getting back from here (much to my wifes delight?) and the standard of catering was the same in the hotel I stayed in. The hotel offers two other restaurants and there are plenty of places to eat in the town,

The facilities are top class. There is a sun terrace down on the bay, with free sun loungers, to swim in this bay is a wonderful relaxing experience, with the staff constantly attentive. The outdoor and indoor swimming pools are upstairs and they also offer sun terraces, this time with views of the Adriatic, but if you go to the back of the hotel, you will see the rock ledge sunbathing spots, carved out of the cliff, with steps down to the sea for deep water swimming, absolutely stunning views! If you are so inclined you can use the nudist section of the cliffs. The hotel also has a gym for the terminally guilty among you who worry about throwing away all the fitness work on a week of eating and drinking. It was great to use the treadmill with views like that.

In closing, you may notice a gentleman in a dark suit, with swept back hair walking around casting an eye over everything. We called him the fixer. A couple of times, we saw him seek out people personally who had obviously had some sort of issue. Obviously things sometimes go wrong but his presence was reassuring that issues would be dealt with quickly. I spoke to him to tell him how much I enjoyed staying in the hotel and compliment him on how hard his staff worked and he was very proud of his hotel and rigtly so.

This review has been overwhelmingly positive and I am sure that some who have stayed there may pick holes in it, but my wife and I totally enjoyed our stay and at no point had cause to regret our choice. A totally unforgettable holiday experience, if you like things to go smoothly and don't go looking for things to complain about, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay for the sea view!
6 Thank Michael E
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor Web page.
I really appreciated your long and precise description of our hotel which will give a precise idea to our future customers of all the efforts and time we spend in order to try to keep our property up to the 5 star standards.
Your comments concerning the main restaurant (The restaurant is outstanding in the way it handles such large amounts of people and manages) and the friendliness of our staff went straight to our hearts and I thank you for that.
The gentleman in a dark suite you called “the fixer” was me and I thank you for highlighting the fact that I really care about my operation.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon back to our property.
Preston, UK
Reviewed 29 September 2012

On the plus side, our balcony had a great view over the sea and islands, and the hotel has a lovely swimming area by the sea overlooking the beautiful bay of Cavtat.

The room was quiet, beds comfortable and bathroom, shower etc were adequate, but was not spotlessly clean, and not well stocked.

On the negative side, we found the service to be very surly, particularly two young women who served on the terrace, who had perfected the art of doing as little as possible. A smile and good evening/ morning would have been very welcome.

The food we found quite poor, and we ate out on 5 nights despite paying for half board. The drinks are very expensive, costing less than half the price in the bars nearby. The Spinaker and steakhouse were equally poor. We resolved on the third day that we wouldn't spend any more than necessary in the hotel, but use the local bars and restaurants where we got a much warmer reception and better, more professional service.

I was disappointed that the indoor pool was not heated as I was looking forward to a pre breakfast swim each morning whilst on holiday, but way too cold for that.

Finally, the steps up and down got a bit tedious and the golf buggy was rarely to be seen. Quite often we'd give up waiting and walk up to find the drivers sitting at the hotel gossiping. This was a shame as there were some older customers really struggling with the steps - the manager has responded he is getting a larger buggy but while we were there both buggies sat idle for much of the time.

Cavtat itself is a great little place for a break, very chilled. This hotel however is not operating at anywhere near 5 star in terms of quality or service.

Stayed September 2012
4 Thank CEH60
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor Web page.
We took good note of your comments and we are sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations. Your judgment of our property is definitely an exception and does not reflect the more than 92% of “excellent” or “very good comments” we received this season.
Cheshire
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel in September 2012. The hotel is very large and amenities are distributed over several floors. The buffet restaurant is a floor below reception via a lift or very wide winding staircase. The restaurant is big and there's a small outside terrace for eating breakfast and dinner at. The food is very varied and caters for all tastes really and was of a good quality (we're fussy !). The only downside to the hot food was that there weren't any spicy dishes or good robust sauces to go with the meat dishes etc. The Steak restaurant is excellent serving very good quality cuts. It's not cheap, but then it's worth it.
We were very fortunate to have the superior room with a sea view. Friends had the standard room and their wardrobe space was very limited. The superior room was very spacious and so was the beautiful bathroom. There was a very nice private verandah with lovely views to sea taking in the rocky shore and a couple of islands opposite. We had the best sleeps in 30 years due to the amazingly comfortable beds!!!!
Throughout, the staff were fantastic - all were so polite and friendly. Also, they smiled....
There were so many big wide spaces on many of the floors with leather easy chairs etc for relaxing or gazing...
We were celebrating our Pearl anniversary and we found a bottle of Champagne in ice with 2 glasses in our room when we returned from a stroll on our 1st day. Lovely. Each night a maid brought chocolates to the rooms - they would leave them prominently placed if you were out.
Recommended, but there's a 139 steps to the road below.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, Superior room is well worth the extra cost.
1 Thank holdontite
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor Web page.
I am glad to see that you truly enjoyed your stay in our property and I thank you for highlighting the quality of our buffet restaurant as well as the one of the steak house.
It is so good for us to see that we meet your expectations in all senses and we hope to see you soon back to the sunny Cavtat.
UK
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We have very much enjoyed our stay at the hotel. It's been a very relaxing break. Perfect place to chill out and relax in picturesque surroundings with lovely views and tranquil waters. It started to get a bit cold the 2nd week so I think it's best to go a little earlier in the year.

We went with our 6 month old child which was ok but be aware that if u go here with small child the hill is very steep if you choose to walk up or down in to Cavtat. There are golf buggies which are free and run regularly but not ideal if baby is asleep as pushchair needs to be collapsed. You are restricted on a lot of routes to manoeuvre around the hotel as a lot of steps and steep paths only made for walking.

I personally enjoyed the walks outside of the hotel. I got up most mornings and went for a walk with pushchair. There's a lovely route that goes along sea front and round the island. Perfect for getting baby to sleep. This goes through town and along harbour and round in a circle.

The breakfast in the hotel isn't the best but it's ok. Eggs and omelettes but no baked beans, decent bacon, sausages or mushrooms like what you normally expect to get. However there's a choice of fruit, breads, cold meats. If you prefer continental breakfast then you'll love it.

There's a steak house restaurant which was lovely. The steak is done on hot coals and it's delicious, this is the best restaurant in the hotel. Spinaker is on the front and is very overrated, the food wasn't very good and we weren't impressed with menu choice. However the setting is beautiful right in the side of the water.

There is a pool bar which we got a sandwich from on a lunch time. They are really nice, they'll bring them to your sunbed or you can eat at the restaurant which has lovely views overlooking Cavtat. There is a guy who serves behind the bar, his name badge says he is called Mato, he really isn't happy with life. He is very miserable and unhelpful and there were times when he actually ignores you when speaking to him. I think he must hate his job! However the rest of the staff especially Zorica were nice and friendly. It would be better if someone came to take your drinks orders and it's what you'd expect from a 5 star resort. Plus the hotel would make more money but I suppose that's their choice.

The pool is very nice and surrounded by trees offering plenty of shade. There are only a few sunbeds which are in the sun most are shaded. We went at end of season and still some days we struggled to get sunbeds, so I do imagine it would be a terrible struggle in peak season. I notice that the hotels manager is commenting to other reviews saying there are plans to make more room for sunbeds but I can't see where there would be room. Weirdly the pool opens at 8am but the towels aren't available til 10am. The pool was very cold but ok once you are used to it. The inside pool is also quite cold which you'd think it would be heated but it's not. They are salt water pools inside and out. There is a children's pool but the depth is 0.55m which is very deep and kids can't sit down to play.

The spa is very nice and reasonable prices. It has a sauna in there. The floor is lethal coming out of the toilet due to the type of tiles, very dangerous.

It's also nice to sit down on the sea front which has a few sunbeds which is where Spinaker bar is. It's lovely to swim in the sea here and sometimes it's warmer than the pool.

We did get room service one night which again the food was ok, the menu choice was pretty good and prices ok.

The mini bar prices are some of the highest I have ever seen. Considering there's a shop in reception I can't believe people would pay these astronomical prices.

Having a young baby we didn't go out every night and we stayed in and watched tv. There is only 2 English channels which is bbc news and cnn. I realise that you don't go on holiday to watch tv but when u do stay in its a bit ridiculous that there is nothing you can watch. 50 odd channels and a hotel occupancy of 70% english speaking people (yes we asked) you'd think the hotel would accommodate.

We were on floor 1 which was the entrance to beach. A lot of people would go and swim in the sea here using the steps to get down. This was really nice and refreshing. Apparently this is also a nudist beach. We saw a few people but they seemed quite discreet.

Cavtat itself is a beautiful little town / village. It's a harbour and people pull up in expensive yachts. There are many nice restaurants to dine in all friendly and welcoming. The food is nice although pretty similar cuisine in most places you eat. The local wine is also quite nice with your meal.

There is a bakery in town you walk past on the way back to hotel which do nice pizzas and sandwiches if u fancy taking these back to your room. They also do fabulous cakes and coffee and croissants.

We took a boat trip to Dubrovnik one day which only took 45 mins. This was excellent. A busy, vibrant city with lots to see and do. Also quite accessible with pushchair which I didn't expect. Had a great day walking around and people watching.

We also hired a car a couple of days and found a lovely restaurant by a river side and old mill this was lovely.

Croatian people on a whole are quite friendly the women more so than the men who come across as quite abrupt at times. The room we had was very small but it was cleaned and looked after daily and I'd we needed anything u only needed to ask at reception. U only get a kettle if u ask and tea / coffee isn't provided in your room so take your own. Not what you'd expect from 5 star. Also complementary mineral water is not provided as it is in every other 5 star hotel I've stayed, however you can drink tap water. We requested a cot before arrival but wasn't in the room but on arrival we asked again and it was there within 15 mins.

I'd suggest with a baby for easiness with the waiting for lifts to be either on floor 5 which is the same level as pool. It just makes it easier if u forget anything as u feel like u spend half your life waiting for the lift.

The wifi is only available in reception areas and not in the room.

Don't expect a baby change unit in any toilet. Not in the hotel or anywhere we went. It's on your knees and do your best I'm afraid!

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay. The hotel and staff are very nice, however the hotel seems more like a 4 star than a 5 star.

Room Tip: Sea view is best
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank moogle1
HotelCroatia, Front Office Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor. I can see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are very glad to see that you appreciated the genuine attitude of our employees.
We will definitely take into consideration your comments and we thank you again for such a detailed report.
Best regards,
Skopje, Macedonia
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Upon attempting to check in for a conference, the front desk informed us - without apology - that my colleague had no reservation at the hotel, despite our printed confirmation for two rooms. Their excuse was that they have no control over their own reservations and that this "mistake" was made by their reservations center. We later found out the hotel had overbooked and that several guests had the same experience.

After pressing them to fix the problem, they offered to book an inferior room in another hotel (20 minutes walk uphill) for the same price. They made no offer to transport my colleague to/from the hotel, given that they had caused this inconvenience. Then, upon check-out, I was handed a bill for the full amount of our stay and after complaining, was told I would need to wait at the front desk for a salesperson to call so I could explain "my problem" to them!! Needless to say, not impressive service for a 5 star hotel.

Also, we were there in late September and their indoor "heated" pool was colder than the sea.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MishelO843
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reporting your comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to see that you had a negative experience in our hotel do to reservation challenges. It is true that, being part of a hotel company, we have no control on the reservation which explains why we had to go through the reservation central office in order to solve this problem.
I hope that you will give us a second chance in order to demonstrate to that this was a isolate case.
Northampton, England
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Lovely position overlooking Cavtat harbour. A bit of a concrete monstrosity from the outside but inside it was very spacious, clean and well staffed. The hotel offer a fantastic breakfast selection, with option to sit on the terrace looking over the harbour. Pleasant staff and very good service. The room we had on the 2nd floor didn't have the best view of the sea but was adequate and the balcony and room were spacious enough. Clean and tidy room with daily maid service....and one of the quietest rooms we have ever stayed in, with great blackout curtains!

We sunbathed at the Spinaker which offered more sunbeds than the pool area and was easier to wander to a local restaurant for lunch! Great selection of restaurants in Cavtat, easily accessible from the main hotel (well only 127 steps down!!) and great bus or boat service into Dubrovnik from Cavtat centre.

Wi-fi a bit erratic in our room but great connection in reception and restaurant areas.

Overall, a relaxing holiday and would recommend this hotel for other travellers to Cavtat and Dubrovnik area.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room on floor 4 or above for better sea view and they will happily make twin beds i...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for rating our property with the best possible note. I am glad to see that you truly enjoyed your experience in our hotel and specially the cleanliness of our rooms as well as our service and the friendliness of our staff.
We hope to see you soon back in the sunny Cavtat.
Hotel manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Cavtat
#9 of 17 in Cavtat
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik
#5 of 67 in Dubrovnik

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!