“What it says on the tin”

Hotel Croatia Cavtat
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cavtat
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Room as you would expect, prices as you would expect about 50% more than the village. Service pretty invisible but there if you needed it. Busy at breakfast with tour groups and never visited the same ( large ) restaurant in the evening for the same reason but eating by the waterside in the village was much preferable and a pleasant 5 minutes walk after the golf buggy delivers you down the hill. Take your phone and call for the buggy when you are leaving the village on way home.
We ate in the steakhouse in the hotel a couple of times - excellent.
Balcony by pool and around outdoor pool when we were there did not suffer from the sun bed booking blight that obviously exists in the summer

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 October 2013

A friend & I stayed in this hotel at the end of August. Although it is quite ugly compared to the other buildings in Cavtat, the facilities are excellent. Our room had a lovely view of Cavtat, was very clean & comfortable. The staff were very friendly & helpful, including information on day trips, car hire, weather etc. The spa does a fantastic pedicure! Although there were quite a few steps up & down to the harbour, there was a buggy service, and the steps weren't too bad if taken slowly. We would definitely recommend the hotel & will be staying again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MeggieMonster
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We spent a week at Hotel Croatia and had a wonderful relaxing holiday. The appearance of the hotel can be rather off-putting as it clearly belongs to the era of concrete (disappointing to see that a new hotel in Cavtat is being built in the same style - totally unsympathetic to the town and its geography) but don't be put off by this. Inside it is spacious and restful, with many different areas to suit all tastes. Thanks to previous TripAdvisors who recommended paying for a room with a sea view, as it's well worth it. The dozens of photos on my camera will attest to this. Beware the midges as the sun goes down, however!

It doesn't seem to be in the Croatian character to be grinning and sycophantic but everyone we met who worked at the hotel was very helpful and courteous, even when under pressure. I think they have the balance just right. We had drinks in the cocktail bar a few times and ate once in the Steakhouse, but as almost everyone else has commented - the town is cheaper. Sometimes though, even the most active guest tires of the 126 steps and a meal at the hotel is very welcome! We booked B & B so ate in the main restaurant for breakfast. This had a lovely array of fruit, cereal and croissants etc but the cooked breakfasts are best avoided.

The pools are lovely, the walks around the hotel are great and I would urge anyone who can make the climb to go up to the Mausoleum which is the most calming spiritual place - far better than any on trend spa treatment.

I've travelled to many hotels around the world but would make a return trip to very few. I would happily go back to Hotel Croatia.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hellenium
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Lovely Hotel with plenty of facilities, ie. Indoor & Outdoor Pools + Gym and Spa.
Some rooms however are Inside with a view of tall pine trees making the room dark at all times.
Limited wardrobe space and hangers (non for trousers).
Food is plentiful with lots of choice although its well short of 5 star quality (more 3 star). Misleading advertising re additional restaurants which were not included in the cost of the stay.
Prime location above the bay with great views from restaurants and bars etc.
Staff are pleasant and friendly and very helpful. Nice touch leaving my wife a birthday cake without informing them of this event.
Would recommend staying B & B only and pay for a sea view (although some guests paid for this but didn't get one).
Overall a very enjoyable stay but not quite what we were expecting.

Room Tip: Pay for and insist on a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

A lovely hotel exceptionally clean very comfortable beds we had a sea view room and the sunsets where fantastic. Staff very helpful unlike previous reviews we didn't have a problem getting a sunbed and only had to ask for a sun umbrella and it was there. Food was good there was plenty to choose from, we stayed half board, breakfasts are amazing you would be a strange person to not find something you liked. The steps into Cavtat 127 of them do not get any easier as the week goes on and we used them twice a day!! a lot of people used the trolley cars available. Cavtat itself is a lovely village and was the best place to be based in, a beautiful bay surrounded by restaurants and cafes and some really nice walks one in particular you can walk around the peninsular and this brings you back in Cavtat takes about 1 hour. We took the boat into Dubrovnik and took the cable car which was worth it for the views, Dubrovnik is amazing narrow streets with lots of STEPS !! and a gorgeous square the biggest problem where the crowds with all the cruise ships stopping there so would not be inclined to book a holiday there. The shops generally are very old fashioned still back in the early 70's lots of knitted stuff especially boiled egg warmers we also found the jewellery under whelming. This was our first trip to Croatia myself and my daughter but will definitely return to the blue sparkling Adriatic Sea with lovely clear water, beautiful scenery and amazing sunsets.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chestergirl_11
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was mine and my husbands first time to Croatia and must say we would surely not return. The first day we straightaway upgraded to a sea viewing room which was the best thing we did and our only highlight of the 1 week holiday! Having stayed at many 5 star hotels, this hotel certainly does not have the quality of it at all. The village itself is beautiful an breathtaking but all in all Croatians have alot to improve on if they want to get more tourism. The food choices in and outside the hotel was rubbish! Men and my husband are food lovers like most and believe food does play a massive part in making your holiday great! We went into Dubrovnik to find something different to eat and found a little gem called Nishta which was very refreshing.

I had ordered some bread rolls to my room which arrived which no butter! and when asking room service to send one down, the waitress looked very unhelpful and frustrated! The only thing which we probably survived on was chips!!! ewww Even though your local cuisine maybe good but we do need something different some days!! Not to forget the lack of entertainment in the evenings also the damp smelling rooms and ugly furniture! So much potential space wise! You can have a choice of restaurants with different cuisines and make every season a tourist season! Oh and the annoying bloody wasps everywhere!! All in all lovely views/scenes, so much potential but they dont seem bothered about customers feedback!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank p p
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Hotel Croatia Cavtat is a wonderful "5-Star" Hotel if you prefer to stay in a concrete, gargantuan, hilltop crested behemoth of an ex-Communist regime that looks like its star shined brightly during the 1970's. It may have been a 5-Star then, but now it would qualify under "Western standards" as a 3-Star at best. Wide open spaces filled with day-glo green furniture that would fit into any 1970's movie.

Even though it is staffed by seemingly hundreds of staff, who seem very kind and helpful, the devil is in the details. Why in the world can't the Hotel Chef make a simple "Cheese Omelette" delivered to my room for breakfast? It is not asking for a "Cheese soufflé", but a cheese omelette. The chef was so lazy that he did not even bother to melt the cheese, which was still cut up in quarter-like cubes arriving cold. Asking for toast to go with it? Well, you get another lazy approach to "toast" called, "put some slices of bread on a plate with plastic film on top". No butter. How lazy and incompetent can a chef get?

Going to the breakfast buffet was stomach-churning. Try going in at 10:00 am, walk right up to the heat lamps and take a look. No, take your fork and poke at those eggs. They are hard as rocks, inedible, have been sitting under a heat lamp for the whole morning (and likely the week, reheated in the morning after spending the night in the refrigerator). I was so disgusted at the congealed heat lamp yellow eggs that I asked for a couple of poached eggs. What I received was a plate full of water, 2 raw eggs, barely cooked, all swimming around. I nearly became sick. And you're eating in another gargantuan, concrete, high ceilinged "restaurant" that looks like a concert hall. Totally without character. I did not even venture into a restaurant in this hotel based on my experiences, so I went to Cavtat and Dubrovnik for all my meals.

Then there is the room "cleaning": I had to go and purchase pink rubber gloves, bleach and cleaning rags to scour the bathroom from top to bottom. I was actually in the room watching while the "cleaning lady" cleaned the room. Make the bed (I had to request changing my pillow cases and once took the bottom sheet off the bed to get them to change it once, just once in 9 days), no vacuuming, and I heard a "spritz-spritz" of some kind of fluid in the bathroom, 2 seconds later, she was gone. Left my coffee tray and overfilled trash cans and left the room. I noticed that on the toilet and in the white cupboarded sink, there were about 10 black hairs everywhere. How in the world can a person clean and shed so many hairs in the bathroom after supposedly cleaning it? I was petrified of walking on that disgusting carpet without any shoes!!

Then, let's not forget the first day I arrived: I made it perfectly clear in about 5 written e-mails that I wanted a king sized bed. So, after a long travel day, what do I get when I arrive? TWIN BED. I slept horribly, but the assistant said, "sorry, we will just have to change your room tomorrow, there are no other rooms tonight". This is after a busload of Spaniard pensioners arrived, so I am sure he was totally overwhelmed and quite frankly couldn't be bothered.

And what about the "SPA": Whoever thought up the clever taglines of "Sport Massage", "Thai Massage", "Hot Stone therapy" is really a genius. While the therapists are very kind and want to do the right thing, they clearly don't have a clue as to what a "Sports massage" means. It just basically means rubbing 1/2 a bottle of oil on your body with zero technique whatsoever.

Kudos to the great photographers and website designers and all the great, romantic posters around of the "Spinnaker Beach Club" where one can supposedly dine "on the beach"...these photographers really deserve some sort of Nobel Prize for creating a reality in photos that does not exist (Was it all photoshopped? Is that really what the hotel looks like from a helicopter view)? The SBC is really a bunch of deck chairs (you guessed it) on a slab of concrete down at the Cavtat Bay. Restaurant? saw no sign of it?? And that is the truth, because I walked all over that hillside trying to find it.

It is no secret that the Hotel Croatia Cavtat is a 2-3 star now: All the owners of the restaurants in Cavtat say the same thing, and one even used to work there in the 70's. They all say it has totally gone downhill.

I am a 40-something CEO (wanting a 1-week spa and luxury break to reduce stress) who has lived and travelled all over the world and know the difference between a 5-Star and a 3-Star, and let me tell you, in Switzerland, this hotel would not even qualify for a 2-Star. So stop taking the Mick. To pay EUR 184 per night on the off-season for a 2-3 star just burns.

Whoever governs the "Star System" in Croatia needs to downgrade this faded jewel to the 2-3 star category it deserves or else get a SWISS MANAGER to take it back to its heyday.

Room Tip: Stay at a hotel in Dubrovnik instead.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Cathy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavtat
Hotel Cavtat
Valamar Dubrovnik President Hotel
Hotel Supetar
Hotel Supetar
#7 of 18 in Cavtat

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!