“Perfect accommodation - Charming hosts!”
Review of Castelletto

Castelletto
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Cavtat
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Perfect accommodation - Charming hosts!”
Reviewed 28 August 2007

After reading all the excellent reviews of Villa Castelletto my partner and myself stayed there for seven nights in July having booked direct with the owners in September 2006. The property changed ownership earlier this year and now has Irish owners, the Villa is managed on their behalf by a lovely Croatian couple - Dayahn and his wife Christina - assisted by the staff who were employed by the previous owners, together they make a very professional team, all understand and speak excellent English.
We were met at the airport by Dayahn in the immaculate and brand new mini-bus and driven back to the Villa via a short guided tour around Cavtat. We had booked room 32 which is one of the most requested ones because of its views out to Dubrovnik and we were not disappointed, the furnishings and decoration were first class and the room - as they all do - had the benefit of air conditioning.
It has been noted in many previous reviews that the villa is up a hill, it takes maybe five minutes to get down to the harbour and 10 minutes stroll to get back, there is a very welcome wall in the shade of a house for a break, I suffer from an arthritic hip and made the journey down and back twice a day for the full week without resorting to the bus which stops 150yds from the villa and runs frequently until around 2330hrs, it costs 5kn (50p). The villa is situated amongst the local neighbourhood and is quite peaceful, there is some noise from aircraft but they are over that quickly that they did not trouble us, the airport alternate approaches and takeoffs so they do not use the same track all the time.
Breakfast was self-service with cereals, fruit, cold meats and a warm selection - always eggs maybe scrambled or boiled and various sausages - fruit juice and tea and coffee are also served, you may sit outside in the garden or by the small pool or if preferred inside.
We loved Cavtat - the first time we have stayed there - having visited previously on day trips from Dubrovnik, it is nice and quiet and also very clean and there is the chance to see the daily changing millionaires yachts which moor right up to the harbour wall - how the other half live!!! We spend a couple of days on sunbeds over at the Hotel Croatia as you were able to get shade from the overhanging pines should you wish, the beds were also equipped with a mattress which made for more comfort - 50kn (£5) a day for two beds and a parasol.
We found some nice restaurants for the evening meals - we went to the 'Ivan' three times nice food and good value - this is in the 'quieter' bay, find the bus station and stand with your back to the bus and it is directly in front of you right on the harbour wall, the popular 'Dalmajia' restaurant immediately on your left as you get to the bottom of the steps after walking down is always busy but we thought a little disappointing, we went to 'Taverna Gallija' at the far end of the promenade next to the old church (St Nikolas) on two occasions and found this to be excellent it looks very pricey with the pianist and fancy candles - but was not and the food is cooked in the open air on a giant barbecue, it was always very busy so best to book.
All in all a very pleasant holiday - the temperature was around 90deg for most of the week - we will return to Cavtat and to Villa Castelletto.

• Liked — Peaceful location and views
  • Disliked — 'The Hill!!'
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lancashirerover H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Spalding England
Reviewed 17 August 2007

We arrived to find that instead of having the rooms we asked for and had even telephoned and double checked with the hotel over ,that in fact we had rooms(2) and beds which were unsuitable for a family of five with 2 older children.
100% for the managers for trying to resolve the situation but with a full hotel they had their work cut out.
We finished up with a situation which was very cramped and uncomfortable and decided the next day to curtail our 5 day stay and find an alternative which we did in Dubrovnik..
However this hotel sits in area which is not very lovely , it is right at the top of the hill and this is very steep from the town . From 6.15 am you have a regular flow of jets as you are directly under the flight path into Dubrovnik airport and I would not recommend this for those who prefer a longer lie in .
I was shown other rooms which were occupied which looked delightful and was assured that people came back year upon year but considering that Cavtat is at best ok , rather crowded and with so much more being offered throughout Croatia I am surprised.
Breakfast at this hotel was one of most meagre we experienced in Croatia with a lack of fresh ingredients and was very sparse in choice.
Overall I am just a little surprised at other reviews I have read on this hotel as they highly praise. I am not the world's most fussy traveller but I can only say this is a very average hotel , in a less than average location in an average Croatian seaside town.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank redcol
London
Reviewed 19 January 2007

This is a belated review as I only recently became the full TA member. I hope just as useful nevertheless...

I travelled to Cavtat with a friend in the late summer of 2005. We chose Castelletto for the TA reviews & booked online, which is still not an easy thing to do with most privately run accommodation in Croatia.

We flew to Dubrovnik airport from Zagreb (we are both Croatians / living in London / family in Zagreb). The nice gentleman whose name I forgot / owner came to pick us up and drove us to the hotel. It was a very short 15 minute drive. He also drove us to the airport on our return back to Zagreb.

Castelletto was very nice and clean. We were initially given a side facing room on the ground floor that was very dark and not really what we expected. We were offered another / sea facing room on the first floor, but had to wait for the shower to be fixed. We decided to go for that. The room was very nice but small and the shower/toilet cubicle was a bit of a squeeze ( I doubt a larger person would fit in ). The view was lovely and worth it.

The walk up and down hill was about 15 mins - I would not recommend this for less agile/mobile people.

Breakfast was good, selection was ok but I remember wishing there was something salady available, if at least tomatoes - to accompany ham/cheese/hard boiled eggs as this is all nice but dry type of food.

Staff & management were all very nice and helpful. They organize at least one theme night of traditional Croatian 'lamb on a spit' dinner (extra cost) where many guests join in / meet and socialize. We did not go to his event but later regretted.

Cavtat town/parade is definitely the nicest one I have visited in Croatia to date. There are few good restaurants / London prices (3 course meal for two with half a bottle of wine, bottle of water and coffees = £70 for two) but the fish/seafood platter is worth every penny!! For seafood lovers Croatia is an absolute must - I would fly to Dalmatian coast for a weekend just for the fish platter.

Beach is not good. It is at the end of the main parade (Cavtat is very small), it is small, cemented, sun loungers will set you back 20HRK (£2) per day (same price everywhere in Croatia) and the music played in the little beach café can get a bit loud and on occasion just simply wrong (clubby house sounds are a bit much on the beach even for me who raved my way through most of last decade). The staff was young with the attitude to go with it.. which I find a lot on Croatian coast! The problem is that I do not know if this is because I am Croatian (do English / Irish / Scottish and Welsh get this feeling ?) hence they don't rank me high enough to be as polite with me as they are with foreign guests? I guess I will never know.. But I must add this is not always the case!

Towards the end of our stay we discovered a lovely long stretch of a pebbled beach in an area called Mlini. This was aprox 15 mins local bus drive away.. Please note - this was lovely in comparison to what Cavtat had to offer beach wise, but would not recommend it to somebody looking for anything close to 'plush'. Great for kids though!

In the end, all I would like to add is the following: Cavtat i gorgeous and I would recommend it for couples, families with children (there is some night-life 20 min walk away near some touristry resort mostly populated by Russians, that cater for teenagers - do not bother if you are over 21) and older people, BUT if you are a thirty-something female traveling with a thirty-something female friend (or more) I would be hesitant to recommend this place.

Let me put it this way.. The waiters in our favorite restaurant so obviously thought we are women of 'doubtful morale' (as we would put it in Croatian), and the older couples from the tables around us were checking us out and commenting on weather we had wedding rings or not ( I lip read!)..

So, I would definitely be going back - but only with my husband and I would definitely stay at Casttelleto again!

• Liked — nice room, great view
  • Disliked — tiny bathroom, 15 min walking distance from the center
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled with friends
3 Thank karot973
Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2006

Chose the Castelletto for an early autumn week in the Dubrovnik area based on the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, and we were not disappointed. Highlights were Cavtat village (see below), friendliness and helpfulness of the owners and staff, adequate rooms for good value, pleasant patio and setting. Lowlights were airplane noise (on flight path to/from the Dubrovnik airport, but only a problem from 0730 to 0800 off season), constant barking dogs and a disappointing "view room" (roofs and neighborhood construction). It presents a 15-20 minute walk up/down a steep incline to the village, either through a direct path through a dark wooded area or via the busy road into the village which is a bit scary as cars flash past you at night. So, a rental car is a real plus if you stay here.
Cavtat village is absolutely delightful, really good small restaurants, postcard-like setting on a wide harbor, everything walkable from end to end, good services and only a 15 minute drive to Dubrovnik. No real beach as such here but you can swim off the rocks and better beaches are walkable. Don't miss the great medieval village of Kotor in Montenegro, a two hour drive away. Taking a boat is actually a more practical way to get to Dubrovnik, with a very nice scenic 45 minute trip. Although it is only a 15 minutes car ride to Dubrovnik, it'll take you another half hour to find a parking place, and when you consider the inevitable parking violation (for no apparent reason or signage, classic ripoff of tourists with rental car registrations), it might even be cheaper by boat.
Overall, the area is a must if in southern Dalmatia and the Castelletto is a good choice.

• Liked — Adjacent village
  • Disliked — Not many real negatives
  • Tips/Secrets — Use only with a rental car
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kingpin26
lancashire
Reviewed 3 November 2006

Me and my husband visited the hotel castelletto back in September for our honeymoon. The hotel was lovely and the staff were extremely helpful and good at their jobs. We stayed in room 32. Which was extremely spacious and had magnificent views from the balcony. A little tip make sure when booking that you ask for this room as it is the best in the hotel.

The area of cavtat is beautiful with crystal clear waters and some lovely restaurants. We ate out every night and most of the restaurants were excellent and quite reasonably priced.

Cavtat is very peaceful wth none of the larger louts you come to expect in most european hioliday resorts. Perfect for a romantic honeymoon.

I would recommend hiring a car. The prices are quite reasonable. We visited montenegro which was very pretty, , but i would say on your way back catch the car ferry across the lake as this cuts your journey in half.

The staff at the hotel organised a wine tasting tour for us which was really interesting. You are also able to purchase some. For the ladies i would reccomend the dignac wine. It was our faviourite.

We also went horseriding which was again organised by the hotel. My husband has never been on a horse before in his life but i will take my hat of to him and say he did really well. The instructor said he was just like a professional which made his head swell even further and was quite lucky to get his helmet of and promptly told me he was better than me. Joking aside the horseriding trip was one of the best outings of our trip. The views were magnificent and we went at sunset so it was even more spectacular. Just be warned though the instructor is very strict.

We had a really memorable week in croatia made all the better my the staff at the hotel and our hosts roger and lesley. We will definately be going back there. Thank you very much Hotel castelleto.

• Liked — Room 32 and the helpful staff
  • Disliked — the hill climb back up to the hotel after a big meal
  • Tips/Secrets — hire a car
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lauranicholson
Chester UK
Reviewed 2 October 2006

Followed Tripadvisor advice and booked at Castelletto for a last night stopover en route to Dubrovnik airport. Really great location if you have a car.
Hotel really clean and comfortable but bring earplugs if you want a lie in..its really close to the airport!!
Walk uphill in evening was a steep ascent OK if you are fit. We didnt try the bus.
Staff welcoming and plentiful breakfast.
Will return to Cavtat but maybe further downhill towards harbour!
Avoid room 14 if you want a seaview

• Liked — Cleanliness, decor, breakfast
  • Disliked — Location