“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lucullus

Lucullus
Ranked #26 of 133 Restaurants in Hvar
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Croatian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated in the same building as the Hotel Villa Nora (hotel in Hvar, Croatia).
Merelbeke, Belgium
“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The best restaurant that we had during our one week stay in Croatia (also the most expensive one), but over all, really good service and food.

• Visited May 2014

• Turkish first
“Worst experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Having seen the good reviews and after having a delicious breakfast here, while staying at Villa Nora just above the restaurant, we decided to give it a go. While looking at the menu out the front we were greeted and the menu was explained. We walked in an sat down only to be told by the lady that greeted us that the chef had gone to the shops and would be back in 15 or 20 minutes. We were a bit annoyed we had not been told this before sitting down and considered going elsewhere, however the lady insisted it would not be long and offered a free drink on the house so that we would stay. I do not know why we were greeted and allowed into the restaurant when they were not ready to accept customers. We were early to eat (arriving at 5:40pm or so) but they let us in when we could have gone elsewhere as there are many places that are open all afternoon.

The chef returned with some shopping bags and went into the kitchen and our orders were taken. This is where it all went wrong! There was angry shouting and things getting banged around. Then the lady that had greeted us cordened off the front door so that we are the only ones inside (it stayed closed until we had almost finished eating our meals - must have been close to 6:30 by then?). How unprofessional! I know chefs can commonly have a temper but this was just appalling and made us very uncomfortable. We wanted to leave then and there but had already ordered and didn't want to be rude.

I decided to have steak and when asked what it was served with the waiter listed a couple of sides implying that you could choose. I thought this was quite nice but I think this was a miscommunication or a very sly trick as my steak was served with the side of my choosing (soggy silverbeet type green vegetable) and nothing else...and I was charged the price of the side on top of the price of the steak. So the steak was to come out on its own if I had not ordered a side?! The green side served was not drained properly so I was left with a pool of water on my plate...this perhaps would have been okay if there was more sauce on my steak. The green pepper sauce was almost non - existent apart from a few peppercorns on top of the steak (nothing like the amazing green pepercorn sauce I had on a steak in split a few days previously). Lastly the steak, ordered medium, had but a slight pink tinge in the very center. Although over cooked with a side of water, the steak was a nice cut and still quite tasty.

When given the bill, as well as the hidden vegetable charge, there was a service fee that we were not aware of before hand. This seems a rip off when other restaurants that also give extra trimmings, bread etc. before a meal, do so free of charge. Not to mention some free alcohol tastings at other places!

Overall it was a very uncomfortable experience and I did not enjoy any of it! We obviously caught them at a bad time so I don't think this is necessarily a good reflection of the "norm", however to treat customers like this without an apology at the end is just unacceptable. I recommend avoiding this place as there are so many better options where you will be treated like a paying customer!

2 Thank Cassie R
Oslo, Norway
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Lucullus is a great restaurant, I especially enjoy their seafood! Staff really know what service is all about, and if you are lucky, they even do entertainment!

• Visited June 2013
Manhattan Beach, California
“Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Fantastic regional seafood, ambiance, but most of all SERVICE. Great music a little dancing and a ton of fun. Such a great experience we came back the next night!

• Visited April 2013
Bronxville, New York
“Treat Yourself!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This review is long overdue. I dined here with a friend in August. What a fantastic experience! Mario & Dario outdid themselves in performance and presentation. The entire staff here is one big family and they treat each customer as part of it. The meal was amazing. The octopus salad was the best I've ever had. Truly one of my most memorable dining experiences.

• Visited August 2013