“Good and bad”

Ranked #13 of 144 Restaurants in Hvar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I really fancied some shrimps for dinner that night. We looked at a lot of menus along the way, but decided to dine at Paradies Garden. When we arrived, there were about half a dozen other diners there. I don't think they were expecting many people that night, because none of the tables on the upstairs terrace were set. Our waiter was very helpful and friendly. The setting was delightful. The green noodles and shrimps starter caught my eye, so we asked what size portion it was. It sounded like what we were after, because we weren't that hungry. My daughter ordered the shrimp risotto starter. We told our waiter we wanted pancakes for dessert. He said we could order them after. We didn't have to wait very long for our 'starters' to arrive. They were very large portions and looked very appetising. They were delicious.
By the time we finished, the place was full and they had to set the tables in the upper terrace. The waiters were literally running around the place. It took awhile, then a different waiter took our plates away quickly, without asking us if we wanted anything else. We waited and waited and waited. We kept trying to catch the eye of either of the waiters, but they didn't even look our way. We waited about 15-20 minutes. Finally my daughter caught the eye of the second waiter a few tables away. He said "you want the bill?" and moved away. We didn't want the bill, we wanted to order pancakes. We waited another 5 minutes. Nothing. Finally my daughter waived her arm a few times. He came over and said "you want the bill?" My daughter said "no, we didn't want the bill. We wanted to order pancakes, but we have had to wait so long, so yes please, bring us the bill." He was quite rude when he answered, saying we should have let him know." We said we tried to.
All in all, we enjoyed the food. The service to begin with, was very good. The service and attitude of the second waiter left a bad taste in our mouths. We ended up going to another restaurant for our pancakes.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stumbled upon this hidden gem last week in Hvar and cannot recommend it enough. The waiting staff provided helpful suggestions on the (reasonably priced) wine list and the food was fantastic. The terraced garden is also a lovely and romantic place to dine. We had risotto and mussels for starters followed by tuna steak and lobster, all if which were excellent. The price was excellent for the standard of service and good provided. A must in Hvar!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lovely terrace situated in the old town of Hvar. The service and food were fantastic! away from the harbour and surrounded by part of the old town walls, this is a great choice of restaurant whilst in town.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

In exploring the alleyways back from the seafront we came across this gem of a restaurant. It does not have views, but walking through to the garden and balcony reveal a great space with lots of planting shading the sun. The waiter was both knowledgable and a good low pressure salesman. Our party of 5 could not resist choosing one of the fresh fish shown to us and decided to have the sea bass baked in a thick salt crust. The 45 minute wait for completion of fish cooking was joyously filled with sharing platters washed down with white house wine from the proprietors own vines. The fish was then expertly filleted at our table by the waiter - the taste and texture did not disappoint. It was not a cheap meal at £40 each, but it was a great 2 hour entertainment in a lovely atmosphere.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Don't know where to start with this meal. The whole meal was poor. I had mussels to start with followed by sirloin steak in a mushroom sauce. My girlfriend had seafood pasta in a gorgonzola sauce to start with followed by a shellfish platter. We went to Dalmatino and Giaxa on the other nights and the meal at Giaxa was the same price and £15 cheaper at Dalmatino for 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of wine for each meal.
My mussel starter was really bad the mussels were overcooked and the sauce was too salty and gritty to boot. It was the worst mussels I've ever eaten anywhere, I've had better mussels out of the supermarket in a freezepack bag. There was something about the steak which wasn't right (I think it had either been defrosted straight from the freezer or part of it had dropped in the BBQ but I'm not sure) and the mushroom sauce was really glutinous. My girlfriends pasta dish was so-so but her main of the shellfish platter was again poor as some of the mussels were overcooked but a good number of other shells (not the mussels) were still closed. She was absolutely stuffed after her starter which is the only reason we didn't complain at the time.
Another grumble was our waiter, we asked for a wine recommendation and were pointed towards the most expensive bottle on the menu. We settled for a bottle of the Bogdanusa for £20 which was really nice (we'd tried some Bogdanusa in a local wine shop the previous day). From the menu its unclear if the pasta dishes are starters or mains, my girlfriend asked our waiter and he recommended her to have the pasta dish as a starter - it would have been more than enough for her main course.
Maybe we went here on a bad day, maybe we didn't pick well off the menu (neither of us went for the waiters recommendation of the whole grilled fish). Some of the photos on the TA website shows the food looking great and from other reviews it sounds like our experience isn't the norm. I had thought that the poor reviews I'd read were probably due to flaky service/being overly busy in peak season, we visited in low season so that wasn't the case. The garden was nice though - not sure the setting being the highlight of the meal is exactly what you want to take away from an evening out at a restaurant.
It was our our only bad meal in Croatia, check out some of my reviews if you want to eat in better places.

2  Thank Michael G