“A really nice hotel in a paradisiac island!”

Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Hvar
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was our first time in Croatia and my husband and I spent 3 nights at the Amfora Hotel in Hvar, it was wonderful, the hotel is in a very beautiful part of the island, 10 minute walk to Hvar City, beautiful beach, amazing pool, great breakfast buffet (included). We reserved a Superior Room with a balcony and it was perfect, it had a small living room with a sofa and a table, a nice balcony and a spacious room and bathroom, very comfortable!
The only issues are that they do not have a heater for the pool and as we were there in May when temperatures are still low, it was impossible to swim which is a shame in such a beautiful pool. They should heat it during the spring. Also, the check in process was disorganized, we arrived when only a few more people were checking in and they had about 4 people at the front desk who did not seem to be properly trained, it took them a while to find our reservation and instructions to get the room were confusing, we had to ask several times to finally get our room.
Even when those small details we would recommend the hotel, we had a great time!

Room Tip: Get a Superior room so you have a spacious one!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SuncaniHvarHotels, General Manager at Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased you have enjoyed our hotel and your vacation in Hvar town. Please accept our apologies for this minor inconvenience during the check in, as this is the time when things start to get busier and additional staff is in training process.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next reservation as we would be pleased to welcome you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. The pools are lovely, and the views are amazing. I found the staff to be very helpful. The breakfast has many options, and if you can get a seat by the window, it is a lovely view. It's a nice walk to the downtown area, and I liked being a little removed from the downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

I will say the laundry seemed expensive. And, I am seeing a lot of comments about loud students staying there, and we had the same experience. It's not he hotel's fault, but it does take away from the experience.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we are pleased you have enjoyed your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us for your reservation if you decide to come back to Hvar and we are at your service for any assistance during your stay.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Didn't stay here but paid 100HKR to have the run of the place for a day. Pool access and amenities make it a fun and very relaxing day. Staff outdoors seemed very nice. The drink prices aren't great but certainly on par with the rest of Hvar.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting our Cascading pool and we are pleased you have enjoyed our pool bar and service provided.
We hope to welcome you in hotel Amfora as well.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel was amazing and the island was beautiful. The hotel was expensive but worth every penny and I would recommend renting a boat to see the other islands and bays. We had breakfast each morning at the hotel the choice was a bit limited as it was the same buffet each day, however I can’t dispute the food was nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Will H
SuncaniHvarHotels, General Manager at Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review and we were pleased you were staying with us for your vacation in Hvar.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any assistance or your next reservation as we would be happy to help.

With Best Regards

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel while in Hvar for a friend's wedding.

From the reception area, to the bedrooms, to the outdoor facilities, this hotel is just stunning. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are air-conditioned, the bathroom has excellent facilities (rain shower, plenty toiletries, lots of counter space).

Breakfast is buffet-style and offers hot and cold options, with a huge amount of choice. It has a huge dining room so we didn't encounter any queues and got a window table both mornings we ate there. Dinner is served in the same area and is also buffet style - we didn't try it out but heard great things about it from other friends who were staying there at the same time.

The bar also served some food and we had a light dinner there one evening, sitting on the veranda overlooking the pool area and the sea. The views from the hotel are absolutely gorgeous.

We didn't get time to try out the pool but it looked amazing - lagoon-style with a swim-up bar and an integrated water-slide. There were also plenty of sun-loungers around the pool.

Hotel Amfora is about 7mins walk from the main square in Hvar so its location is ideal. The path to the hotel isn't very well lit so I was a little nervous walking it at night, but it is a very busy path so there would almost always be other guests coming/going from the hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone intending to travel to Hvar.

Room Tip: For an extra special stay, book a sea-view room.
2  Thank irishopinion

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review and we were pleased to have you as a guest in our hotel. It is always flattering to hear that our hotel met every expectation, but even more when our island is recognized as a true paradise one has to visit.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next visit to Hvar!

With Best Regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights for our honeymoon. I loved Hvar but HATED Hotel Amfora. The location is great and the facility is nice but their service is sub-par at best, downright rude at worst.

It didn't help that there was a gaggle of college freshmen who were loud and disruptive but I know there is little they can do with them as they're also guests at their hotel. That is not the main reason I am giving Amfora a poor review. I found the staff at Amfora to be unhelpful, unprofessional, unresponsive and condescending. Let me count the ways....

My first red flag should have come up when we walked into our room. The knob on the bathroom door was broken and there was a dead lightbulb on the nightstand. We thought it was weird but didn't think too much of it.

On our second day, my husband and I were relaxing by the pool and the freshmen kept going down the water slides all at once, so they had to shut down the slide for everyone for safety purposes. Mild annoyance, but again I think they had to shut down the slide for liability purposes.

That night, a guest was either smoking in their room or pulled the fire alarm. When the alarm goes off, the power in each room goes out. I assume the lights go out for safety purposes but when there are 0 lights on in the room, I don't think it's safe. The lights came back on after 20 minutes or so. The alarm went off again later that night! My husband was taking a bath but luckily I was clothed and was able to feel for my cell phone in the dark so I can use it as a flashlight. We went to the lobby to ask reception what was going on. The languish receptionist told us that they have had difficult guests. I asked them if they're able to pinpoint which room the alarm is going off in so they can do something about those guests. She said that they were on it, and to my surprise she gave me their room number. I was definitely not on the guests' side but I thought it was really unprofessional to give out someone's room number. What if I was angry enough to go pick a fight with them? We didn't want to go back to our pitch black room so we asked her if there's anything still open in the hotel. She said just the bar. We asked if we can get a drink voucher for our troubles and she just laughed.. we were being serious..

We returned to our room and were glad to see that our power was back. After a while we went to sleep and turned off all the lights. But we couldn't get to sleep because one of the lights above our night stand started flickering on and off. I called the lobby to ask that someone come and fix the light so we can sleep. After 20 minutes, nobody had come so I called again. They said that someone came by. They obviously did not. Another 10 minutes later, someone came by. He said that he came by earlier to check the door light (there was no door light!) and saw that everything was okay so he had left. He came in and turned the light bulb and the flashing stopped. The staff laughed like we were idiots and said to us that we just had to turn it. Well, he was wrong. The flashing started again after he left. My husband took the bulb out but I was really more concerned about the faulty circuit. They must have known that the light had issues and I think that's why there was a dead light bulb on the nightstand when we first arrived to our room.

We checked out the next day. Because it's a bit of a bumpy trail to the port the hotel has drivers that take guests' bags to the port for them (same for arrivals). We were taking an early catamaran out of Hvar so I wanted to make sure that our bags would be driven to the port. The night before I had spoken to the receptionist and they told me that there will be someone to take our bags. In the morning, I called the front desk at around 6:40am to confirm that there was a driver and asked them if we should bring the bags to the front now. They asked that we bring the bags to front at 7am. After a quick breakfast we went to the lobby to check out at 7am. When I told them we have our bags to be driven to the port, the receptionist told me that the cart has already left and that we were supposed to bring our bags to the front earlier. I was livid! I explained to them that I had called earlier and offered to bring the bags to the front but was told to bring the bags at 7am (not *by* 7am). One of the staff members ran out to see if they can cart but like they said, it had already left. I asked if they can call us a cab, they said it would be too late and we would miss our catamaran. Because we were strapped on time, I couldn't formally complain to the manager and try to get them to compensate. We checked out, paid full price for everything, and rushed to the port with our bags on the bumpy trail to arrive at the port 5 min before departure.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

3  Thank Yuki I
SuncaniHvarHotels, General Manager at Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this report to us, and we are very surprised you had so much trouble during your stay. Our top priority is to handle everything with care and to solve potential problems that sometimes occur during the stay as quickly as possible.

We have shared your comment with our entire management team to make sure all the procedures and policies are being followed and occasional problems are handled with care and efficiency.

We hope your stay in Hvar town was lovely and if you need any further assistance from us, please feel free to contact us directly.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We just arrived today, waited to get into our room but that's ok since we were early. However, after we checked in past 3:00 our luggage was not delivered till at least half an hour later. We were "upgraded" to a "bigger" room at the end of the wing that looks out onto a wall with dry shrubs. We have to walk a long corridor far removed from the rest of the amenities. The tv remote wasn't working and the staff who came fiddled with it and said it worked. Of course it didn't work again after he left. My daughter took a bath in the tub and discovered it didn't drain cos we couldn't get the lever to work. The repairman came and drained it but just advised us to leave the cover off, hence no more bath I guess. Then we had to call again for a hair dryer, I have a feeling this is a room that they don't use much and stuck us here to make room for bigger groups. We are only here for 2 nights and will be glad to leave since things are so below our expectations for a high end hotel! We have stayed at very nice places in Split and Dubrovnik and this is by far the worst of our experience in Croatia!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Lipe-fan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your prompt review, as we shared it with all of our staff to make sure this technical problems don't happen again.
We apologize for your inconveniences and we are sorry to hear our hotel was not a fit for you.

If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.