“Great place, friendly owners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hvar
Jagoda and Ante Bracanovic House
Ranked #26 of 169 Speciality Lodging in Hvar
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My partner and I spent 4 nights at the Jagoda & Ante guesthouse in September 2012. The room and the bathroom were clean as well as the common kitchen area. Our room had a terrasse with a table and chairs and there was also a common terrace where you can have a meal if you decide to stay in. We appreciated little details like having an extra small fridge in the room, a mini sewing kit to make some quick repair and getting our clothes washed and dried (for 40 kuna). The room was one of the cheapest places we stayed in Croatia (260kuna or around 35 euros per night in September).
The guesthouse is close to the center and the beach, but getting there requires some stair climbing, as most of the town of Hvar is located on a hill facing the sea. But you get to enjoy a nice view of the town and the sea from the room balcony.
A plus : Jagoda speaks a decent English and she can give you tips on what to visit or where to eat in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We have been in Croatia for almost 10 days and Jagoda is our favorite accomodation. There are 4 rooms with a common kitchen, outside dinning/TV area. Each room is super clean and has everything you need (like toilet paper and laundry soap).

Our hosts are very kind and generous (brought us some fruit juice after a visit to the fortress in the morning). All the information you need is provided; from grocery stores to ferry boat scheduals!

NOTE: people who don't care for some daily cardio beware! There are MANY steps to climb from the port to get to this wonderful place.... Perfect way to burn some of the extra calories!

(Apparently there is a path with fewer steps but it is less direct...)

Hvala Lepo!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I came to Hvar the first time in the summer of 2002. It was probably one of the worst years of my life and this place made everything in my life so much better. I have some Croatian friends living in San Francisco who recommended coming to their country. I arrived in Hvar after making a connection from Split. Jagoda and Antes place was recommended to me by Croatian friends who had stayed there.. They met me at the bus station and greeted me warmly. The hosts were always helpful and kind and Jagoda has a gerat sense of humor.!My room was beautiful, clean and welcoming. Jagoda offered me a drink when i arrived. I had access to use the fridge and kitchen(for cooking) anytime. She has cable tv and a cool relaxing patio to sit outside in. I have stayed at jagodas(Strawberry in Croatian) five times. Every time has been a pleasure. The rooms are a bargain, the view great and the location central. )there are lots of stairs...but that is to be expected all of hvar has many stairs. This place is a true labor of love.
The stars on the balcony, patio are amazing too!!!

Room Tip: I have stayed in a few rooms...of course if you can get one overlooking the sea great!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Lovely friendly owner who spoke good english and gave a lot of her time explaining where to go, what to do etc. Kindly picked us up from the port which we appreciated as although it only takes 10 minutes to walk up the steps to the house it was 38 degrees. Beautiful view from balcony and from a separate communal sun terrace. Feels a bit like a hostel with a shared kitchen and dining area if you want to use it but we liked this aspect as all the other travellers staying there were friendly and there was a sociable atmosphere. For the price which was loads cheaper than other places in Hvar we thought it was a great place. Dont stay here if you are not prepared to take the rough with the smooth. True, you have to sit in the bath to shower, its not squeaky clean or perfectly uniform like a Travel Inn and its a bit like staying at an old relative house but we thought this was charming.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We (a friend and my wife and I) stayed here 3 nights in the apartment. Location is near town but does require some climbing of steps. The rooms are very spacious - two large double bedrooms, a common area / kitchen combo (including a gas stove, oven, fridge, and freezer), and a large bathroom. The place also has a small TV with satellite, wi-fi, and air conditioning.

Outside there is a terrace with a table and chairs for eating or drinking. Upstairs are the double rooms (no kitchens in individual rooms) that share a common kitchen. There is also another two balcony / sitting areas with a great view of the sea.

The place is clean and was cleaned daily when we went out and about. We tended to cook most of our meals because of the ridiculous prices at restaurants in Hvar town and were able to find fresh vegetables out in the markets.

One problem we had was that our place was lacking basic cooking amenities like salt, pepper and oil (there is, however, just about any kitchen tool you could ever use - nice addition). When we asked Jagoda, the owner, if there was any oil somewhere, she said no but came upstairs and brought us a small bottle of olive oil - her homemade oil olive - that we were free to use (we used it all). She also brought us two zucchinis from her garden, which we also made use of.

She's a fun owner who really makes you feel like you're living in a guesthouse and not in a hotel. After months of traveling, this place is probably one of our most memorable for that reason alone.

We read a few negative reviews and can probably address them. Yes, the shower stand is low and does require you to crouch down a bit. The bedbug post had us worried, but we didn't see any (we always check) and were also told there's an insect (forget the name) that is native to the area that someone might confuse for a bedbug. Either way, we didn't experience it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Jagoda and Ante answered us very quickly by email when we tried to book in advance.... Jagoda was waiting for us at the port and brought us home very nicely. We were really in low seasan, and she gave us her best appartment for juste 220 hrk / 30 euros per night for 2 people). jagoda does her best to speak some words of english and let us quiet during the stay. The bed room was really big, the kitchen fully furnished but the bathroom a bit old and tiny (althought it works perfectly). We were feeling so good that we loved cooking home and having lunch on the nice balcony with the great view.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Prior to arriving here, my husband and I thought we had bagged a great deal. A double ensuite room, with a balcony and sea view, 10 minutes away from Hvar Town centre, for 270 kuna per night. Plus, Jagoda picked us up from the bus station (very close to the ferry port) on our arrival, gave us a helpful introductory talk and even gave my husband a cold beer to drink, which was very nice of her.

But, when we saw the bathroom, we were very dismayed. To be fair, when I pay so little, my expectations are not much higher than a clean room with a working freestanding modern shower. However, it seemed that this much too much to ask, as the bathroom was filthy and the shower not fixed, above a three quarters tub. We had to shower crouched down, holding the shower head. Also, I have thick curly hair, so had to wash my body in the aforementioned uncomfortable position, then my hair over the tub, which just added to our prep time in the morning, when all I want to do on holiday, is shower and be out of the door. So this is the first bug bear.

Secondly, my husband bed must have had bed bugs in it as every morning, he slept with the covers tucked in around him (the bed was two singles pushed together, which is no big deal) and found more bites every morning.

So, overall, although the sea view was very nice, we valued a modern bathroom and clean room above this.

In the end, when we decided to increase our stay in Hvar by 2 nights, we found an amazing 1 bedroom apartment at Villa Sandra Hvar (see seperate review) just down the road for 250 Kuna per night and wished we'd stayed there the whole time.

Loved Hvar though, the sunsets at Hula Hula were unforgettable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple