“Good location and nice enough”
Review of Hotel Delfin

Hotel Delfin
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Hvar
London, United Kingdom
“Good location and nice enough”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel after staying in hostel for a while and after them it was luxury, but what I really think about it the hotel was great for it's location. It really could not have been better. It was basic but it was clean and it does a good job. Hvar is also so lovely that you could forgive anything.

Room Tip: Try and get a high room as the noise can get quite loud.
1 Thank Heather A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel Delfin from 12 July - 19 July 2014.

The hotel is probably in the best spot for Hvar harbour with easy access to everything you need. To the right of the hotel are a couple of lovely restaurants and a 5-10 minute stroll to the left the beach bars, sun beds and Hula Hula Bar which is where we spent 2 of our days sunbathing!

On arrival you walk past the outdoor sports bar area and into reception. All very clean and tidy.

Check in had no issues. We were asked to show our passports and accommodation voucher and then handed our room key.

There is a very old lift which was reminiscent of visiting my family in Poland, a typical Eastern European lift, which we took to the 3rd floor of our sea view room ( I would recommend paying the extra for a sea view as the view is superb - the best view aside from the one from the castle!).

The hotel decor is dated but again, it's clean and basic.

Approaching the room door, I noticed although it was a little thin looking, it was secure enough.

Our room was spacious, with the double being 2 singles pushed together (although I don't think I've stayed anywhere in Europe where they don't call 2 single beds together a double!) it didn't really matter too much as the gap in-between was not too big anyway.

Everything was cleaned well and we had no complaints with the room. We also had a fan in the room which just about managed to keep us cool in the July heat although wasn't the most comfortable after a few pitchers of cocktails!

Bathroom, was again clean but basic which had some soap and shower gel sachets on the shelf below the mirror.

Water pressure in the shower was powerful! So good for long hair shampoo rinsing!

There was noise from the clubs in the harbour that we could hear but I didn't struggle to get to sleep and also had earplugs which were useful. I'd imagine the night club noises would be heard from most go the hotels and apartment within close proximity.

Breakfast at the hotel was fine. Basic and fresh. I did wish there was a fruit option but unfortunately they only had the usual cereals, 2 different sliced meats and cheese and then a hot option of eggs, bacon and the usual European hot dog looking mini sausages which were also fine. Fresh bread in baskets either white or brown to fill in the gaps. There was no facility for toast but they did have teas, coffees, water and some juices.

I don't really understand why people have slated this hotel as it was completely fine and fit for purpose. As someone who usually stays in 4 and 5 star hotels it's worlds apart as you don't get all the mod cons such as your mini bars, TV, fridge, hair dryer etc but if you just want somewhere to rest your head it serves its purpose. The staff are also nice and pleasant and willing to help.

Overall it's a decent place that just needs a bit of modernisation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sonia-Hanson
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel for two nights, it was very accomodating and the staff were good.

There was no air con or TV in the rooms but I wasn't expecting them. I was expecting a budget hotel with prime location which is exactly what I got.

I would advise you get a room with a view at the front of the hotel, the back just faces out onto trees and fauna on the mountain side.

I wouldn't take my partner or a family here as there are so many other hotels which offer a much better standard of accomodation.

Bar and restaurant below were again basic but with great views of the harbour.Service was very good.

Overall, it did what it advertised and I wasn't disappointed. If you want basic accomodation in a great location then this is perfect.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel (odd numbered rooms I think).
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Delfin for 2 nights as part of a large group on a stag do.

Location-wise it is fantastic. Right overlooking the harbour. The sports bar downstairs was perfect for our needs to grab a bite to eat and a few drinks before heading out for the evening. Drinks selection at the bar was a bit lacking though.

The service from the staff I encountered were all perfctly acceptable.

The rooms were not great. Very cramped twin rooms with very small beds right next to each other and not a lot of room around them. Nowhere to hang clothes.

The bathroom was basic and not spotless. The shower head would not stay on its mount on the wall.

The room had no TV, fan or air conditioning, and the windows to our ground floor room did not seem too secure should someone want to break in.

I suppose you get what you pay for, and it served our purpose for 2 nights. You wouldnt want to stay there for a family or romantic weekend though. Probably worth paying a bit extra at another hotel.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our trip to Croatia has been spectacular so far. Our room budget is in the $70-$90 range and have been happy with what that buys. However, this hotel room was disappointing: Dark room, no A/C or fan. Blocked sink. Short single beds: I'm 5'10" and my feet were crunched up against the bed footer. Maybe the other rooms are nicer but the one we had is in need of some renovating.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank David B

Travellers are raving about these Hvar hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel is really central and if it is a cheap and basic base you are looking for then it is perfect. The rooms are simple, no mod cons but clean and well kept by housekeeping. The buffet breakfast is served in the terrace bar which is a stunning way to start the day. A great place to stay and enjoy the vibrant day and night life.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TinksA13
Dublin
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This was the first hotel my boyfriend and I stayed in in Croatia. We travelled for 12 hours to get to Hvar, and it was most definitely worth it! It is one of the most central hotels in Hvar town with fantastic views.
Hotel is very basic but the staff are lovely, when we were checking in that evening we were just about to ask for a fan for the room as advised to, but he produced one and gave it straight to us! Room was very clean and we had a balcony over looking the harbour which was lovely, but the bed was twin beds pushed together and we had requested a double bed. Bathroom was very dated but clean.
Breakfast was served in their terrace bar overlooking the beautiful port, it was just amazing to start the day looking out at the mountains and amazing yachts in the harbour! My one complaint about the breakfast is that nearly every time we went down, it was 15 minutes before it was due to finish but there was already pretty much nothing left. People were clearly taking too much food and not thinking about other guests, and it was not being replaced.
It's the perfect location to stay in Hvar, and you don't mind it being basic t's great but if you like nice hotels maybe not the best place for you to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple