“Nothing spectacular but everything needed to aid the holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pension Curin

Pension Curin
Pension Curin
Ranked #74 of 166 Speciality Lodging in Hvar
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing spectacular but everything needed to aid the holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Can I start by saying the location is absolutely great. Unless you have trouble walking, it is an ideal distance from the chaos of the town centre (10 mins) and about 3-4 mins walk down to the water. There is also a supermarket literally 20 seconds away which was VERY helpful.
It is also on the "side" of Hvar with (I think) nicer water, nicer beaches and a really nice bay/jetty thing about 5 minutes walk going away from the town centre.
They pick you up from the bus station which is EXTREMELY helpful when you have cases. They just put us in our room and left us to it! Nothing overly attentive but very unobtrusive which was fine by us. Decent room size, decent beds, good shower, all clean and smart, with a nice terrace too.
This is a very good accommodation for anyone vaguely on a budget/not looking for luxury but still wanting somewhere comfortable, clean and spacious.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Davenport, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

This place is wonderful, the couple that owns and runs it are so cute and friendly. This is a great place to stay, wonderful location, wonderful view, wonderful owners. I would recomend this to anybody in my family

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
hvarr, Owner at Pension Curin, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Kind, clean and frendly guests. Highly recommendable to every host!
They are welcomed back anytime!Thanks.
Waterford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights and I would like to give you my views of the place.

The owners were quite friendly. They pick you up and drop you back to the bus station. They also gave us a map and recommendations on where to go, some of which we followed and liked.

Regarding the location: I did not find it far from the centre. It takes about 10 minutes walk but it was never a problem,unless if you have mobility issues. You can also take a 15 minutes walk, along the sea, which is even nicer. I rather being a few minutes away from the centre, since I imagined in high season, the place will be packed, and noisy in the city centre There is a small market beside the place. You can get anything you want, but not many varieties. The Pension is 5 minutes from the beach and close to the Amfora Resort, Hula-Hula Bar and Falko Bar, those two places I recommend.

The rooms are spacious but I also agree that the decoration is old. This was not an issue to me, since there is so much to see/do in Hvar that I was only in the Pension to sleep. I did not like the shower, though, it could be improved, but no problems there again. There was a balcony, which I believe all rooms have.

I decided to review this place, since I saw some negative reviews of the place in here. I tend to be really careful when booking places, I always take reviews in consideration. I was a bit concerned about the problems some reported here: holding to someone`s passport, owner being dodgy.

I did not have at all this impression of them. The person who manages the place is a woman, the uncle is the driver. They photocopy your passport and immediately give you back.

Don`t let yourself be held onto that and check it for yourself. I am saying so because I almost cancelled the booking and have not regretted my decision.

The place is more like a Pension and less a Hostel. This is a family business, something common in Croatia (families renting places). It is not a Hostel run by young people, that traveled a lot.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lula T
hvarr, Owner at Pension Curin, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thanks for your efforts and integrity.
Recommended to any hosts. Best wishes.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at Hotel Curin for two nights. The owners are very welcoming and picked us up from Hvar Centre and drove us to the bus station when we left. Room itself is quite spacious although the decore and linen is quite dated. Bathroom is very small. There is a communal fridge and kitchen facilities so you can prepare your own breakfast etc and enjoy on the balcony which is good. The big downside is the location. A 15 minute walk uphill from Hvar town centre (although it is relatively close to nearby beaches and very close to a supermarket)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LilSco24
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed there for 9 nights, and the place is perfect if you are traveling on a budget. If you call them, the Curin´s will pick you up at the town centrum, and drop you off on your return.
We recommend contacting them through their website The Curin family is helpful and friendly people. The rooms were clean and big, and we got lucky to get the room with washingmachine. Its nearby the supermarket, 7 min to the beach and about 15 minutes to the centrum. We reccomend to rent a scooter to see the island, and you can get a scooter (100cc) + a free pizza for 200 Kuna near the Curin (check out Bumbar rental!).
The WiFi could have been better, though.. Overall; great place!! :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MartinandRebekka
Brezice, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

Curin fammily and mr Curin were the best. They were very friendly and helped us with lots of information and sugestions.Our rooms (with common terrace ) were very clean, spacious with comfortable beds. We used a large kitchen, with all you need to cook a tasty meal (in our case- mainly spaghetti:)).
Definite will be back!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Washington DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2008

Location is very poor - its a 15 minute hike from the city centre. I recommend spending a few more kuna to stay closer to the city - it is totally worth it! The rooms smelled musty and moldy but that reflects its cleanliness. Very grimy and gross. The "free internet" was a laptop they would set out for you to use - but they acted annoyed and inconvenienced when we requested it. I didn't bother asking again. They advertise a free breakfast but that's a lie. The only thing worse than the location is the staff. Very cold and unfriendly. We must have caught them on a bad week because they were awful. But they also openly admitted that they challenge any poor review written about them (requesting that it be removed) so it's unlikely we would've seen any honest feedback about them. You can spend the same amount of money to stay in a better location, with cleaner rooms, with a friendly staff. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — staff and location
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bch4r
hvarr, Owner at Pension Curin, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
The house have 6 basic rules and the first 3 are:
First rule is CHECK OUT: 10,00- Second basic rule is : NO VISITOR.Visitor are not allowed, especialy overnight for security reason and night peace. Third rule: NO NOISE FROM 23,00-07,00. The guests are requested not to disturb the peace of the other guests,owners, neighbors and other customers from 23,00 till 07,00.
Miss B. H. and her girl frend broke the second rule bringing in her room two male visitors overnight. They even broke third rule making noise and being loud throughout the night. Second day they were asked to leave the house and were evicted -expelled from the house. Miss B.H. had to pay the fine for non allowed overnight visitors- and she paid it.