“Good food, very friendly staff, a bit more expensive than expected.”
Review of Stari Mlin

Stari Mlin
Ranked #26 of 91 Restaurants in Makarska
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The owner/manager was very nice and friendly. She was very good at suggesting the type of food to try and what to go with it (drinks and other nibbles or desserts). We were a group of 10 and she offered us 10% discount. In the end it was more expensive than expected... maybe it was all the additional things she suggested and we didn't really check the price. Overall the food was good and the decorations were interesting. We stayed there for quite a while as it was nice and comfortable to eat in the garden at the back.

1  Thank Juliana C

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant on about 4 occasions over the last 12 years, starting in 2001 and latterly about 2 weeks ago. My experience was always the same, the lady proprietor serves excellent food with flair, variety and is fresh. The seafood and steaks are particularly nice. We had a mixed platter of fish with steaks, preceded by a tasty starters. If I ever go again, I will agree a price for the meal as I found it to be very expensive when all the little extras had been added on (often at the proprietors suggestion!).She is very enthusiastic about her food and the art on the walls but was a little unhappy when we went for a local Croatian wine rather than a more expensive French option. However, don`t let the negatives put you off. Agree a price for the meal and you will not be disappointed. Restaurant was very quiet when we went - end of season so little atmosphere but I have been before and it was busy, with a nice outdoor area.

3  Thank bosnort
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and I visit this restaurant every time we visit Makarska. Why you must be asking? Several simple reasons, first is the pace of the dinner-not rushed, we fill encouraged to relax for a dining experience. Second is the quality of the food, we have not been disappointed in seven year- do however stick to the seafood or pork, this is not Iowa. Third the domestic wine produced by the Stari Miln family is exceptional, you are drinking the same wine they make for themselves.
As in many restaurants do not order dishes you do not like or do not expect to pay for.
We enjoy the wood cooked fish the most, and have copied this method for cooking fish at our house in Seattle.

1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Reading the reviews from some of the other people rating it terrible I wonder if we were seriously at the same restaurant!

The second we stepped inside the restaurant we were welcomed and taken through the restaurant and out in the garden. The atmosphere was very calm and relaxing and the music gave a nice feel to it. The restaurant is also a gallery and holds several paintings, jewelry, chimes and clothes all made by the innkeeper Goga.

Goga herself har a strong personality and she took very good care if us. We were there as a couple and wanted somewhere quiet and romantic and this was both. The servers were attentive but not nagging which is a hard thing to come by.

The food was amazing! We tried two dishes from the Thai menu. My boyfriend had the Phad Thai with sea food and I had another Thai dish with chicken and rice, which kind of reminded me of a Thai version of a risotto. Thai meet Mediterranean.
The food was beautifully displayed on a large sea shell formed blue plate with the food itself partly inside a large real sea shell. We also had bruschetta for starters and were given a lovely fresh dessert to share at the end. Goga also made us her delicious Mohitos. Everything was made with herbs from her own garden!

All in all a very pleasant experience and we would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants an experience with tasty, spicy and elegant food.

P.S Just never eat at the promenade by the sea, any restaurant would give you the worst experience of your life:P

1  Thank Lotte S
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Had a terrible experience in this restaurant!!was brought an open bottle of water which we were charged for! Waitress were very impolite..and was charged way to much for food that I could cook myself ...would not recommend this restaurant!

2  Thank Niallmc1990