All reviews national park sea view beach bar half board swimming area star hotel pizza mljet island three star fantastic location breakfast and dinner beautiful place pancakes buffet style hotel restaurant seafood bit dated
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

The island itself is fantastic and as a location the hotel is great, just outside the national park and overlooking the bay with a lovely seafront bar to watch the sunset.

However, there are a number of things that make the stay less pleasant than you’d hope. The main problem you have is with the boats that moor up outside the hotel all day and night. These boats (several of them) play dance music all evening competing with each other as to which will be loudest which is noisy both in the bar, at the restaurant and in the bedroom. On top of this they ruin the view.

The dinner included is a buffet which wasn’t specified and unfortunately the rooms are dated and the a/c is more of a fan that tries hard.

Overall the view to the sea and the sunset was lovely as were the majority of staff but unfortunately the boats that moored up overtook the hotel as a whole as they spoilt the view, experience, noise and ability to sleep.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Nikola B, Manager at Hotel Odisej Mljet, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

Dear emmabrown1310,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Odisej and taking your time to write your review! I am sorry to read that you were not fully satisfied in all areas of our service, but I would like to thank you for writing your comments which are valuable to us. Also please note that in order to satisfy the requests of our guests our hotel chain invests every year in renovation of rooms and public areas. We still hope that you will decide to visit our hotel again and that we will meet all your expectations next time.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

This hotel is in a superb location, right on the harbour of Pomena on the beautiful island of Mljet. The staff are great, very friendly and helpful. Our room was showing its age but was clean and comfortable, apart from the air-con, which didn't work despite requests to reception. And that, I think, is their problem - they need to get the smaller details right. Another example - they have a sunbathing platform just below the hotel with ladders to a designated swimming area in the sea, which is fantastic, except that there are not enough sun loungers available as a number are broken and stacked up at the back, nor are there any mattresses for the loungers so they are a bit uncomfortable after a while and you end up with a wickerwork pattern on your skin. But we noticed that there was a pile of mattresses in a store round the back of the hotel, so why couldn't they bring those out? There were also occasions at breakfast and dinner when some food, for example fruit at breakfast, ran out and was not replenished quick enough so you went without.
But none of this detracts from the pleasure of a stay on Mljet - a beautiful, beautiful place to relax, to swim, to walk in glorious sunshine.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank Chris1332014

Dear Chris1332014,
Thank you very much for staying in Hotel Odisej and taking your time to share your experience! We are glad that you experienced our staff friendly and helpful. We acknowledge the receipt of your negative comments and we will take them into serious consideration. Also please note we do not have mattresses available for the loungers. Once again we are sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with our hotel ,we appreciate your comments and hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2018

The good:

- Great location, right across from the ferry dock and a few minutes walk from the national park kiosk/main road
- Good rates (online) - I was able to book a double room (which for some unknown reason ended up being a large triple with a patio and sea view when they finally checked me in, which I didn't complain about!) for 55 Euros in late May. The rate also included breakfast, which was good (see below).
- Quiet rooms - I didn't hear other guests above or next door to me. As others have mentioned, the rooms are somewhat dated, but functional and clean.
- Breakfast - included in the room rate, and there was plenty for a vegetarian to eat (fresh fruit and sliced veggies, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, breads, cakes, juices, coffee/tea) (more options for meat eaters and hot food as well)

The bad:
- The A/C is a joke. Croatia is HOT, even in May - there's zero A/C in the lobby (where you will be waiting to check in/out, see below). And even though the room had an A/C unit that I set to 71, it blew hot air all night (and I couldn't sleep with the door open b/c 1st floor and no screens/lock). I only stayed one night, so didn't ask if maybe the A/C in my room was broken but I would not want to stay in that room in July or August.
- Check in/check out is not good: with the exception of one exceedingly pleasant front desk staffer, the staff was gruff and slow. Give yourself more time than you think you need to check out, especially if you have a ferry to catch - there was one person in front of me in line and it took 18 minutes to check out.

I'm glad I went to Mljet, but while with some other islands I visited, I wished I'd had more time, I was perfectly fine with only 24 hours on Mljet - it was adequate to do 2 long hikes in the park and have swimming time and avoid some of the day tour crowds, but you don't need more than 1 day.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank ElleinLA

Dear ElleinLA,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. It is our pleasure to read that you were satisfied with your room as well as with breakfast offer. I am also sorry that some aspects of your visit fell short of our usual standards and that you did not fully enjoy a typical hotel "Odisej" experience. Please, accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment caused by check in/out as well as with AC, I'll definitely take your comments into serious consideration. I do hope that we could still restore your faith at hotel "Odisej" and hope to have privilege of welcoming you back again,

Reviewed 15 June 2018

We normally go to Turkey, self catering. Decided to go here half board for a change. I'd been to Croatia before the war (Yugoslavia) and liked it.
Really enjoyed it, very quiet, the place is not really geared up for young kids, so there were very few there. Suits us!
I snorkel and the water is very clear and was not too cold.
Hotel was very pleasant, the food (buffet) good, with a good variation. Couldn't fault the staff at any level. The manager is very good, look over your shoulder and he's there doing something. He attends meal times to talk to guests, to see if they have any problems. Impressed, as it should be.
So, all in all, it's quiet and restful, I think good value for money, surroundings are not too difficult if you have trouble walking, the sea beautiful. Daily catamaran to Dubrovnik. Transfer to/from airport about 3 hours (coach and boat) can be longer if the boat has to wait for late planes but hey, you're on holiday!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Nikola B, Manager at Hotel Odisej Mljet, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Gwynn J,
Thank you very much for staying in Hotel Odisej and taking your time to share your experience! We are delighted to read that you had nice stay in our hotel and that we have met your expectations. Also, we are glad that you were satisfied with food quality as well as with our staff. We truly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you in our hotel again.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Decided to stay here because the wife was very interested with the lakes and the National Park.
A nice enough hotel but, admittedly still stuck in the past. The hotel and rooms are good but, as I said it certainly needs updating and a major refurb, especially as it's part of the Adriatic Luxury Hotels collection. The rooms smell musty and feel very damp. They definitely need to ditch the scraggy looking brown rugs, which look about 20 years old. The air-con was dying a slow death and the WiFi was hit and miss.
There is a cool bar by the swimming area but, beware of those pesky Sea Urchins!!!
I seriously expected more from an Adriatic Luxury Hotel and was quite disappointed, especially as I was given the wrong room to what I booked.

One other very major sore point, if ever you want to rent a car etc, do not use MINI BRUM. I only mention them, because the hotel promotes them. They are con artists and will rip you off. Not only do they charge you 30 Kunas to pick you up, which isn't mentioned over the phone conversation but, they also pretend all the cheap cars are booked out. The biggest con was, charging me 70 Kunas for returning the car at 3pm, even though I had explained to the girl if it was okay to return it at 3 and not 12. She denied all this and implied I was lying. To which the guy said, it was because she was on her own, yet the three of them were right there. I'm pretty sure they also over charged me for petrol, which after speaking to another guest, they too felt the same way and was angry about feeling ripped off. If you're going to promote a separate entity to your business, you should make sure they're a positive for you and not a negative. It certainly ruined our last day in Croatia and Mljet. 200 Kuna daylight robbery.

If it wasn't for the staff, I would certainly have given a lower rating.
They are all lovely and tick all the hospitality boxes, especially the Deputy Manager Davor, who should either be given a raise or given his own hotel to run. My saviour for going above and beyond with the 'Curse of the Sea Urchins'. Twice I've been to Croatia and twice I've been pricked!
Not only that but, he's there for breakfast going to every table and asking if everyone is well and in the evening he was even at the bar helping out and making sure all was well. He was here, there and everywhere, like a great manager should be.
The young chap at the desk with wavyish hair was an absolute gent too. Very friendly and helped us with our travel back to Dubrovnik, after thinking there was a 5:45 boat. I did ask his name but, sadly I forgot I'm afraid. So a big thank you to the both of you and all the other hard working and extremely friendly staff.

A hotel stuck in the past but, staff that truly carries it forward.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeshua A,
Thank you very much for staying in Hotel Odisej and taking your time to write your review! We are glad that you experienced our staff friendly and helpful. Please note that in order to satisfy the requests of our guests our hotel chain invests every year in renovation of rooms and public areas. We also acknowledge the receipt of your negative comments about rent a car agency and we will take them into serious consideration, even Hotel doesn't have any contract with mentioned agency. We are sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with our hotel, we appreciate your comments and hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
With kind regards,