“Lovely stay in Mukinje village”
Review of House Samardzic

House Samardzic
New Zealand
“Lovely stay in Mukinje village”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Oh dear, joidevivre, what a shame you did not enjoy your stay at House Samardzic & what a shame you feel TripAdvisor reviewers have let you down. My experience is much more positive as my friend & I spent 2 nights with Verica & her family in Sept & thoroughly enjoyed our stay in her impeccable home. She is apologetic about her lack of English, but I did not find her difficult to understand & her English is certainly 100% better than my Croatian! I'm not sure what you mean about staying in the village of Mukinje next time, as their house IS in Mukinje & the pizzeria is only a couple of hundred metres away. Yes, the village is short on amenities, but isn't that part of the charm? We walked to the park through the upper part of the village & the forest; guess it took 20 mins or so, but it isn't a difficult walk. If you did your research on the Plitvice Lakes National Park you would have been aware that it is very much "out in the sticks" & no matter where you choose to stay there will not be lots of amenities. Visitors do need to be aware that the only ATM locally is in the Bellevue Hotel (according to our hostess) so it pays to have your cash beforehand. It also pays to go to the Information Centre before going into the Park for maps of the numerous trails & advice on what to see, especially if you have only a limited time.
Getting back to the guesthouse, it's spotlessly clean, the breakfast is excellent & it's a relaxing peaceful place to stay. We were exhausted when we arrived by bus at 4.00pm as we had left Budapest at 7.00 that morning, but Verica brought us coffee & shortbread out in the garden & we soon revived.
House Samardzic has my recommendation, but make sure you do your homework first so you are not disappointed to find yourself out in the country with limited amenities.
Incidentally, while we were waiting for the bus to Zadar next morning an interesting character called Zac turned up with his white minivan, offering us a quicker trip with him for a similar price. While some of the people waiting at the bus stop obviously though it might be a rip off we went along for the ride - no problems, he's a very good driver, entertaining as well - if you are concerned he'll show you his ID - definitely faster & better than going by bus.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the ground floor, much easier with luggage & quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank PixNZ

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Let me first mention the positive. property is located quarter mile from entrance 2 of the park. proprietors will drive you and pick you up. door to door service. bus stop headed to split is 100 yards away.

now the cons. because this property is located outside of the park in a small village, there are absolutely zero facilities. no market, no internet cafe, no bakery, nothing. you are pretty much off the grid save for a small pizzeria about a mile away. so if you are planning the 5 hour bus ride to split as I was, you are pretty much out of luck.

I was placed in one of the room upstairs. according to booking.com, this room was supposed to be equipped with wi-fi, it was not. the room did not have air conditioning either. it did however have a very squeaky bed which kept me up all night. it also had a 14 inch television -the screen on my laptop is bigger mind you. the sat box had 5 channels, 1 of which was only English.

the proprietors were making dinner one night for themselves as they also live on the premises, frying something or another. the entire upstairs of the house smelled that entire evening of fish or whatever item they were frying.

finally, the helpfulness of the owners left much to be desired. i needed help arranging for a private transfer to split. and the son, who is the only one who spoke conversational English was more interested in playing with his iPhone then he was helping me. in fact, i asked to borrow their house phone so I could call up local agencies for help. seems like a sobe that has these many tourists coming back and forth and one that charges $95 usd-night can be a bit more resourceful.

i recommend staying in the nearby village of mukinje. i am really disappointed with my fellow reviewers on this one.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank joidevivre
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 August 2011

House Samardzic is a great place to stay in Plitvice Lakes National Park! Our room was very clean and comfortable, the hosts were very nice & welcoming, the location was great, and the breakfast was was excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Honeymooners
Lafayette
Reviewed 13 August 2011

If you're going to Plitvice Lakes you cannot find a better location (unless you stay in the park). The owners are very friendly and the accommodation quite comfortable. The hostess works very hard to please, just let her know what you need.

Booking.com says wifi but there is none. Also they accept CASH ONLY. There is an ATM at the park so that shouldn't be a problem. Bed made a funny noise when you sit on it, but it was fine for sleeping :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Located immediately adjacent to Zagreb-Zadar bus stop and a 20 minute walk to Plitvice Lakes Park entrance, House Samardzic is a very comfortable B&B with hospitable but unobtrusive hosts. For evening meals there is a pizza restaurant within the village serving a good Pizza. The walk to the park entrance is along the main road but there is enough room next to the road walking against the traffic but some care is needed (not suitable with children). Certainly the Lakes are magnificent and were one of the major highlights of our trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
HK
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I had stayed for 2 nights in early May 2010. I'm appreciate that I have the choice in this family stay. As I travelled alone, the hostress, Samardzic provided more valuable ideas/opinions and even provided her private map of national park to me, the consequently was that I can save my time but I still can visit all beautiful part of national park. I also thank to her husband, he drove me to the entrance and picked me up when I finished.
Simultaneously, thank you very much for her son, he borrowed his personal computer to me for internet accessing, try to help to fix up my pc problem, checked the bus schedule from their nearest bus stop 'MUKINJE' to Split.
My room is cozy, clean and neat and this is a safety place for you to stay. I can hear birds sing in the morning and see stars at the night. The breakfast is wonderful and a cup of coffee/tea will be served whenever you wanted.

However, this is an amazing and wonderful place to stay!!

Moon Tsang

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I stayed for one night with a friend at House Samardzic and could not have been happier with the place. The rooms were nice and neat and clean, and the location was great - perhaps 50 metres from the bus stop which is very handy for anyone arriving by bus, and a walk from the entrance to the lakes. Dont know how long this walk would take though as the husband in the family offered to not only drive us there but also pick us up at the end of the day. Family were lovely and could not have been more helpful - making us a cup of tea whenever we wanted, helping with luggage and offering lifts. Breakfast was also big and hearty - and try the plum jam for breakfast if you can - it is made by the family there and was amazing!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends