This is an excellent 3 star family hotel - but definitely not the 4 stars advertised. However, we must say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We were a little disappointed with our initial reception. Arriving on a horribly early Thomson flight we were informed that our room wouldn't be available until 2 P.M. and that we could leave our cases behind reception and that we could use the toilets in the reception area. That was it! Certainly not as friendly as I would have liked and no offer of drinks etc. which would have been most welcome at that time in the morning! Our initial impression of the room (fourth floor overlooking the car park) was one of disappointment and certainly not what we would have expected of a four star property. The room was rather basic but I suppose it was adequate. The balcony overlooking the car park was not exactly enticing although as it turned out, we had no trouble with noises from cars.
The food was, however, excellent. Don't expect Cordon Bleu. It was extremely well cooked - most if it before your eyes at the central cooking stations - very fresh, Croatian style family cooking and was mostly delicious! The chefs were also very happy to cook something different for you if you asked! I was particularly impressed with the fish themed evenings (Fridays) and some of the food from the pasta station was excellent - particularly the truffle and anchovy raviolies! We did have to learn to time attendance at the restaurant however. Between 7 and 8 it was extremely busy with families and at these times it seemed a little canteen like. However, leaving it until 8:30 it was much quieter and the staff were very happy for you to stay well beyond the 9PM time that the restaurant service was supposed to finish. One other comment about the restaurant was that we found the local house wines to be both reasonable in price and of very good quality (and I'm a member of the UK Wine Society).
Whilst the staff all speak good English there were no UK magazines or newspapers available. Those which were in the shop catered for German, Italian and Croatian guests who formed the great majority of residents. The hotel has an excellent heated salt water pool and the adjacent bar serves very good and very reasonably priced food and drinks throughout the day. We never had any trouble finding sun beds or parasols throughout our two week stay.
Some practicalities: There are no kettles or tea making facilities in the room. The mini bar refrigerator will not allow you to store milk etc. The room safe is free to use. Pool towels are freely available at the pool by exchanging a token given to you at check-in (no payment or deposit required)
In summary, we thought that Croatia, Istria and Porec were stunning. The location of the hotel was excellent. Should we wish to return to this part of Croatia we would certainly seriously consider the Valamar Crystal again but we would know that we were going to a 3 star hotel and not a 4 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A family hotel in Poreč giving you the perfect choice of entertainment and activities Guarded by the deep shade of pine trees, the Valamar Crystal Hotel and its great variety of family rooms, animation activities, playgrounds and innovative entertainment programmes represent an ideal choice for a fun packed family vacation. Take a short walk or a tourist train ride to the centre of Poreč to discover its rich heritage or relax by the pool or nearby beach while your children enjoy the wonders of Maro Club. For a great gastronomic experience visit the show cooking buffet restaurant. If you are looking for a new sporting challenge or would like to benefit from first-class wellness facilities, go to the nearby Valamar Diamant Hotel and treat yourself to our superb wellness centre or spend some quality time playing sport on the wide range of sporting grounds available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Valamar Crystal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valamar Crystal Hotel Porec
- Kristal Hotel Porec
- Kristal Hotel Valamar Crystal