“Back today, sad to leave!”
Review of Valamar Crystal

Valamar Crystal
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Porec
England
“Back today, sad to leave!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Never been to Croatia before but just spent an amazing week at this hotel. We arrived at 11.30am and were allocated our room immediately despite check in being 2pm.

First impressions were good - the room was larger than expected including two single beds pushed together and a separate single bed, desk and chair, mini bar, spacious balcony, plenty of hanging and shelf space, safe, bedside cabinets and a clean bathroom with shower, bath and complimentary toiletries and hair drier.

Location wise it was good and in beautiful surroundings of pine forests with red squirrels and various other wildlife. It's about a 15-20 min coastal walk to Porec centre. Or you can get the 'noddy' tourist train from Brulo which is pretty regular.

The food at the hotel was very good and far better than I have experienced at previous buffet style half board hotels. There is a huge variety catering for different tastes. Drinks are not included so you either pay each time or have them charged to your room to pay at the end.

The staff were very polite and helpful. Use of the "please clean" or "do not disturb" sign outside the room was always respected by cleaning staff who made the beds and replaced toilet rolls, towels and toiletries without disturbing any of your things in the room.

The pool and bar areas are well maintained and there are various sunbathing areas located along the coastline although no sandy beaches, they are paved areas with rocky coves.

Excursions not to be missed while you are there are Best of Istria which included a visit to the amphitheatre in Pula and a 3 course dinner in a lovely remote hillside restaurant, Plitvice Lakes (not for those with walking difficulties due to slippery paths and many stairs) and Lake Bled in Slovenia which is more accessible due to better paths and flatter terrain. These locations must be seen to be appreciated and are pretty spectacular. Gullivers Travels are highly recommended with very knowledgeable local guides.

All in all I fell for Croatia in a big way and would love to return. I will be singing its praises to anyone who listens!

Valamar Crystal is an excellent choice of hotel and to those making negative comments, I can only assume these are the type of people who aren't happy unless they're finding faults, as I really could not complain about anything. I would be happy to stay again and to recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Shakira78
ValamarCrystal, Manager at Valamar Crystal, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear guest,
We are very happy that you liked Poreč and our hotel. Thank you for your praises, and we hope to have you again soon.
Greetings from sunny Poreč!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Having read previous reviews, I was eagerly looking forward to returning to Croatia having previously been to Korcula. The Hotel Crystal seemed to be the ideal place.
Good flight, very speedy transfers...but so what? Arriving at the hotel at 11:30 a.m., we Thomson travellers were told 'No check-in before 2 o'clock'. A 4* hotel can't organise itself to be ready for new guests when those returning to Gatwick and Manchester had left around 8 a.m.? Not a good start.
Several hours later having drunk copious cups of coffee and assessed the facilities, I went to my room. First impressions favourable...not large but clean and reasonably modern. 'Corporate' sprang to mind.I decided that despite the hiccup about the check-in, I was determined to be positive. Minutes later, I encountered my next 'problem'. I attempted to cool down the room by checking out the air-conditioning. Spun the thermostat dial, awaited the cool air. No such luck. Warm air quickly permeated the room. Stay positive - open the balcony door. Ignore the wasps and flies waiting to greet you! Later, checking if my air-conditioning needed sorting out, I was informed that the hotel was considered to be cold so the heating was to remain on. My question, as to what about those guests who liked to be cool, was greeted with a shrug of the shoulders and a polite smile. Why have a thermostat dial in each room if you can't control your own room temperature? This presented me with a couple of sleepless nights because the room was suffocatingly hot even without the 'central heating' on...but did I really want to leave the balcony door open for mosquitoes and other bugs to join my nights' sleep?
For the next two days, my room wasn't cleaned. A lady checked the mini-bar daily because it was re-stocked so why no cleaner? I tend to keep my room tidy anyway so, thinking 'stay positive' I presumed Wednesday was the cleaners' day off. When I returned late Thursday and it still hadn't been cleaned, I rang Reception. No apology offered but the assurance that a cleaner would be sent up. Sure enough several minutes later, a knock on the door reveals a cleaner. Leaving her to it, I went downstairs to leave her to do the job. After a sufficiently polite length of time i returned to my room. Deciding to sit on the balcony with a glass of wine, I lifted one of the wine glasses off the tray. Eeegghh! A tray that was supposedly wiped clean only recently had a live cockroach on it. Killing it and taking a photograph, I raced down to Reception. Apologies followed, a change of room was offered and the reassurance that it wasn't a cockroach but a 'smelly bug'. The change of room proved just how small my single 'boxroom' really was. At least now I had more space, twin beds, an armchair...and a complimentary bottle of wine. A peace offering?
The hotel's pool area is delightful...towels are provided and, yes, the water is warm. You do need to be a fairly competent swimmer as the salt pool doesn't seem to allow for floating as the current is quite strong. I presume this is due to the waterfalls and a 'whirlpool' over in a far corner but I'm not 100% sure.
The hotel does not have the advertised 'souvenir kiosk'. Each room has a minibar but, despite Croatia being a cheap place to shop, why should I pay 15 Kuna for something costing 3 Kuna in the town's supermarket? Therein lies another problem. The advertised 'tourist train' is not, as I'd expected, the equivalent of a free shuttle bus. Nicknamed, 'The Noddy train', it runs about every hour and ten minutes and costs the equivalent of £1.25 each way. It's about a fifteen/twenty minute stroll into Porec but, unless you're really fit, slightly longer walking the incline back...even longer if you're attempting to carry water bottles, provisions etc!!!! We don't go on holiday to count the pennies but......!!
Be warned.....walls are paper thin and many of the guests are oblivious to the chance others may be trying to sleep.
Entertainment was simply for visiting parties of Germans, Austrians, Russians...but not Brits. Children's entertainment took over the bar for a very short time until 9 p.m.
Food varied and plentiful...I existed on the salads but it depends upon your expectations for the hot courses.
One or two nights, it was sheer chaos in the dining room, which i likened to going into the school canteen and looking for a table at which there was space to sit and eat. Eating between 7 and 9, I'd advise waiting till after 8 p.m. though no guarantees that what was available earlier will still be so.
Thomson rep very helpful but some of trips are a total rip-off...go to Ravinj on the public bus from Porec bus station. Across to Venice is a two hours forty-five minute trip on a boat, each way. A problem with the boat meant I've not spoken to anyone who did this trip as the availability was changed and clashed with other trips.
I met some lovely people...lots of Brits willing to socialise....and I'm not alone in my criticisms. Now I'm home and writing this, reading the current comments, I wonder if I've been to a different hotel so........
Would I recommend this hotel? I'm not sure. I wouldn't like to say yes and spoil someone's holiday. Equally, I don't want to put off what might be a very suitable hotel for some.
Would I return? No chance!!!
If you read my other reviews, you'll realise I try to write as honestly as possible....my opinions about the Valamar Crystal are totally honest. Happy holiday wherever you go.

Room Tip: No sea views so don't be disappointed if you're given a room overlooking grounds.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Sue W
ValamarCrystal, Manager at Valamar Crystal, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear guest.
We are sorry you had to wait, some of our guest leave at 11:00, and we need time to clean your room properly. Our check in time is fixed at 14:00 so that we can maintain our standards. If your room is available sooner we will always try to accommodate you. We are very sorry you don’t plan to visit us again, perhaps if you give us another chance we would change your mind.
Cheers!
east sussex
Reviewed 21 May 2014

have just returned from our 2nd stay at Valamar Crystal. Every thing was perfec,t room clean, food very good and all staff very friendly. See my previous review. Unfortunately at diner a large group of non Brits would push-in, not only waiting for the dining room to open buy also whilst serving from the food stations. Why they do this I am not sure as there is plenty of seating and certainly more than enough food. Although this was annoying it did make for good people watching.
we just love Croatia, have another holiday booked in September, in a different resort. Hope it will be as good as The Valamar Crystal and the resort of Porec

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank martineaastsussex
ValamarCrystal, Manager at Valamar Crystal, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear guest,
We were glad to have you back, and will be in the future. I’m sure you have a lot more to explore in Poreč and Istra, and hoping you will be back next season.
Greetings!
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife & I have just returned from what can only be described as the most amazing place we have EVER visited. On arrival, after a long 29 hours on a coach with the wonderful Leger travel, we were greeted at reception by an array of enthusiastic staff ready to process all 38 of us as swiftly & efficiently as possible.
A welcome drink of fizzy wine or orange juice was made available to us which was a lovely touch. Within minutes we had our room pass card & made our way to the 4th floor (421) in anticipation of our room. We were not disappointed, the room had 2 single beds pushed together to make a huge double, a small fridge with mini-bar, a decent sized bathroom with shower over a full sized bath, plenty of storage space with a free to use safe plus a stunningly large balcony with views over the pool area & forest to absolutely die for! You could have seated 6 people on the balcony comfortably, it really was that big.
The bar area was large with a good selection of drinks at very competitive rates. Very efficient & polite waiting staff too.
The dining area & food hall (some reviews on here are rather harsh in my opinion) was plenty big enough to seat inexcess of 200 to 250 people. Granted, at certain times, mainly at 19:00 when the restaurant doors opened there was a bit of a cavalry charge but if you waited until 20:00 to 20:15, you could sit & eat in peace & at your own leisure with the choice of food on offer, probably only second to the food that my wife & I normally experience on our regular cruises! Breakfast was also a delight with so much choice you could not fail to be satisfied. Special recognition to our regular waitress Vesna who was an absolute gem whether it be early morning or late evening, she always had a smile for you! All the kitchen & restaurant staff were lovely & deserve praise too. Thank you to Sasa for allowing me to use the restaurant freezer for my cool bag accessories for our long journey home, thank you.
The most astonishing thing about this hotel is the outdoor pool, it is enormous & heated to 26 degrees plus, which is ideal when the early May weather is not overly hot!
The evening entertainment was a bit hit-&-miss with our German guests getting rather over zealous on the Friday evening with their Umpah band chants!
This should not detract from the fact that this hotel is an absolute gem of a place.
Set in a forested area of Porec on the stunning Istrian coast. It is only a matter of minutes from the sea down a slight slope which does take its toll a bit on the way back up towards the hotel, dependant on how much you have enjoyed the local hospitality?
There really is so much to do in this beautiful part of the world, do not be intimidated by the guys that hang around near the bay just outside the hotel complex. These guys are genuine & so are their offers of a day out on a boat trip, no scam, just incredibly cheap at 200 kuna (around £23) which includes 2 meals, trips to other interesting areas along the Istrian coast & as much wine or alternative refreshment you prefer (non-alcoholic) as you desire! All in around 6 hours, perfect!
Whatever you do, you are sure to find something in or around the Valamar Crystal, if you don't or cannot, then I suggest Butlins is probably your more preferred choice of establishment!
Thanks for a great week, we WILL return!

Room Tip: I can only comment on room 421 which overlooked the pool area & back entrance to the hotel, perf...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EdzLewis34
ValamarCrystal, Manager at Valamar Crystal, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for an extensive review, it’s always nice to hear from a satisfied guest and to know that our efforts does not go unappreciated. We are proud of the efficiency, politeness and quality service that all of our employees provide. Regarding the 19:00 rush, we like to think that the food here is so delicious that our guest just can’t wait for diner, and they get a little impatient. Since we always think of the ways to upgrade our service, now you can book any excursion at the hospitality desk, without any fear, and at the same prices! Hope to see you soon.
Greetings!
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were looking for short vacation some where close to Slovenia, and we were in Poreč before and we loved it. So we decided that we will go again. But first time we stayed in some hotel which was not even close to what they described online. This time we didn't want to make same mistake so we chose Valamar Crystal Hotel.

Let me start with room. It was amazing, first time that we been in a room which have actually another room, it was like mini apartment. Usually you have bed and TV and mini bar in same room but here you have 2 rooms + bathroom and balcony of course. It was amazing first impression.
Staff where also really great and as the reception guy say at the end ''Bilo je kratko a sladko'' haha which means it was short but awesome! And I totally confirm that.
So let's move to the pool, it's totally amazing since we were there in May it wasn't that hot / warm outside so it's really amazing pool since it's heated to 27 degrees so it doesn't matter if it's cold outside inside is nice and warm :D
And for the end, food. Really good, tasty and you have a lot to choose from, but we were used to that before. And in the morning you have plenty of fruit to choose from, since I was on diet this was perfect for me.
After all amazing 4 nights, I will definitely return if I will plan to go to Poreč any time soon :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mark K
Dragi Mark,
Thank you for an extensive note full of praise. We are happy that we have a reputation as a “can’t miss” hotel, especially coming from our neighbours. We are glad you loved the room, and we agree, our pool is pretty great. Hopefully next time your stay will be longer.
We eagerly expect your return.
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,149 helpful votes
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel is in the most wonderful setting possible,however i certainly do not think it a 4 star hotel,possibly a 3 star at best.Do not get me wrong everything about the place is extremely clean and tidy and the staff are a credit to their profession and a big plus for the place but on our very first morning,the 28th April 2014,we were locked in our bedroom for 35 minutes because the door handle fell off.As we had no phone in our room(it being in the main living area)we had to repeatedly scream down to the cleaning staff who did not understand our calls.We shouted to a lady on the balcony below our room 619 who said she would ring them straight away.A further ten minutes and my wife was becoming more upset .When the maintenance man let himself in he apologised and fixed it promptly.The Valamar sent us up a bottle of wine as a sorry which was decent of them.The food is a buffet style set up and this was a huge shock for the first 3 days of our 6 nights in the hotel as there was a party of 260 from another country who were extremely forceful in the queuing department and did not believe in manners,something the staff knew about and got a little annoyed about too.The food was okay but i was expecting a lot more from a 4 star rated hotel as the menu seemed very repetative offering the same food day after day.On our final evening my wife chose the pork loin from the buffet table and this was raw in the centre.We showed this to the restaurant manager,Branco who said they had received a few complaints about both the pork and chicken being under cooked.My wife spent the evening in bed quite ill due to the raw food.On a more positive note the hotel has a fantastic swimming pool and is set in beautiful grounds with plenty to do for everyone.They are carrying out continual improvements and are always aiming to better the place.Would i return?The people here are so friendly so i would be a fool not to.Stayed April 26th 2014

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shane s
Dear Shane,
thank you for acknowledging our staff, they continue to be our pride and our biggest strength. We’re very sorry for the mentioned incident, and we assure you that it’s an exception not the rule. We made all the precautions that something like that never happens again, and are very confident that if you give as another visit we can prove these claims, and make you experience true “Valamar Crystal holiday experience” we are famous for.
Greetings from sunny Poreč
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed at the Valamar Crystal for a week in September 2013 on business so cannot comment on prices. Hotel exterior is a bit dated but otherwise very well maintained as are the hotel grounds. Room interior was thoroughly modern and comfy. The buffet breakfasts and dinners were AWESOME! Coffee was good, which in Croatia, is note-worthy I was constantly looking forward to my meals there. Had already tried the food at another Valamar properety and knew what to expect. And Crystal delivered the same top-notch dining experience. Did not try the pool but it looked very good. The hotel is located at the southern tip of the town in a pine forest. You can take a very pleasant stroll along the coast-hugging promenade into Porec. It is also a 10 min walk from the bus station so daily trips to Rovinj, Pula and elsewhere are a very convenient option. For tennis players, there is a clay-court nextdoor.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mad_about_croatia
Dear guest,
let me start by saying what a lovely username you have there.
We continuously invest in our hotel, and try to maintain it at the best of our abilities. We are very pleased that you loved the food and coffee, and we can assure you that the pork is indeed very good. We consider the heated seawater pool to be the jewel in the crown of our hotel, next time make sure you try it. Thank you for your words of praise, it encourage us to be even better. We hope to see you again soon.
Greetings from Poreč.