“Re-confirm your booking before you go”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Studio Katarina

Studio Katarina
Studio Katarina
Ranked #35 of 42 Rovinj B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“Re-confirm your booking before you go”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I booked Studio Katarina for 2 nights in Aug thr booking.com. However, I cancelled it by mistake. So I re-booked it through agoda.com within an hour. Everything looked fine in my agoda account. Not until I arrived Rovinj, I realized the aparment cancelled my booking. I was furious. It took me 2 hours to find another accomodation. Needless to say, it was much more expensive for walk-in customer.
If the Studio Katarina thinks I am playing around, they should send me an Email to let me know they didn't accept my booking. Or else, they can request me to pay in advance.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

My partner and I stayed at Studio Katarina for 2 nights during our visit to Rovinj in August 2012. I wish I could say we had an enjoyable stay, but please read on and make your own decision.

Let me first say the location of the apartments is definitely in the center of the old town. If your looking for old-world, cobblestone streets and an authentic self-serve apartment like stay, this is the place. We paid 55 Euro per night in August 2011. You get two keys at the start of your stay: one for your 2nd floor apartment (there's also a cramped 3rd floor apartment), and one for the ground floor door. You will only see Miranda once, maybe twice the whole time. The room itself is smallish, but not too bad with a cute green shuttered window looking out to the pedestrian only street. The bed is queen sized with thin pillows and adequate bedding and blankets. There is no A/C, only a fan. On very hot and humid days this may be an issue, but it was somewhat tolerable for us in early August.

Problem #1:
We had a UNIQUE problem arise during our first night's stay. Before going to bed, my partner decided to take a shower in the TINY little bathroom. This bathroom had an old fashioned door with one of those giant old keyholes and key. I didn't think they actually still used anymore. To make a long story short he locked the door from the inside and when he went to unlock and open the door, the key would not work. We tried for half an hour to get the key to work. Nothing. Then I got the bright idea for him to try and slip the key under the door. Since the bathroom floor was slightly raised, the key ended up getting trapped in between the door and threshold!

The story ends with me calling Miranda, and then the POLICE, (by way of a local neighbor) then me busting down the door (to save us a charge by the fire department in doing so.) Quite the ordeal. Miranda was very flustered and not happy. I'm not sure I could read her attitude the whole time as she seems like she's always in a hurry to go somewhere. I do give her credit for not charging us to repair the door jamb.

Problem #2
Other than that incident, Rovinj in August is completely overrun with European tourists and most of it's small, seaside Venitian like charm is lost in the huge crowds. We mistakenly ate a one of the many boardwalk restaurants thinking it look "affordable" only to be charged $4.00 US dollars for a can of Coke. Rick Steve's recommends this place as a European "Back Door", but I'd say this place is fully discovered by most tourists from all over Europe. I think if you visited in the extreme shoulder season and stayed at Miranda's place, you'd have a better experience. Oh, and watch out for that bathroom door!

ADDITIONAL TIP: If you arrive by car, Miranda will recommend a free parking lot way down the beach from the main town. It's quite a walk back, but worth it. If the weather is warm a fun, inexpensive bicycle ride down the coastline, past a large park leads to wonderful "clothing option - i.e. topless / sometimes more" secret beach swimming area. We enjoyed swimming much more than the town itself I think.

Room Tip: I would only go for the 2nd floor apartment. The first floor was reviewed a "Moldy" smelli...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bartolino
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

We confirmed with the owner by email before we left as instructed and she gave us her mobile number to ring when we arrived by boat. I text her when we arrived only to be told that she had let the room go as I had not confirmed. (Little confused as to how I got her mobile number then.) Contact www.futura-travel.hr instead, they sorted us a fantastic little studio apartment within 5 minutes for 2/3rds of the price.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jo G

Travellers are raving about these Rovinj hotels