“Nice bed and breakfast!”
Review of Villa Dobravac

and 1 more site!
Villa Dobravac
Ranked #1 of 49 Rovinj B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This lovely modern B&B was perfect for us. Big clean, modern rooms. Car parking no charge. Usual European breakfast spread with option to order eggs. A 10 minute walk to the Old Town. Nice view of the water and Old Town. The owners are gracious and able to provide tips on where to eat, see etc. if you are driving in, the B&B is close to La Perla restaurant otherwise difficult to find.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I paid 103 USD per night staying at this apartment (I really cant call this a hotel, maybe a bed and breakfast) and it was worth every penny. We needed a place where we can park our rental car so staying in the smack middle of the old town will be impossible coz they dont allow cars. That would mean having to park your car somewhere and walking to your apartment plus you have to pay those parking fees. I was hesitant about this villa coz I wonder how far it was from the sites and the center. Im glad I chose this place because the walk to and from the center is easy and quick so don't worry about it. The location for me is perfect esp if you have a car, parking is free. For the very light sleepers, this is your place. I love finding these places that are strategically located meaning easy walking distance to sites but away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist crowd and noises when you end your day, best of both worlds.

Natalina is the queen of the villa, she responds to your email, she welcomes you when you check in, she manages the place, she talks to the guests etc etc. I have emailed her many times before I booked and she was very patient answering my questions. You have to be patient too coz she sometimes responds after a day or sometimes two or three, you get my point. Im a stickler for quick and prompt responses so it kinda put me off at times but im glad I just stuck with it. She has the best restaurant recommendations and best local advise. She also sells her own olive oil and we got a bottle, wish we took home more. When you walk in the villa, you will see a reception desk, there really isnt anyone there anytime. Its really hard for me to set expectations from this villa coz when you see a reception desk you would think you can find someone there to ask every now and then but thats not the case. Is it really just an apartment where they give you the keys and off you go? Not really, coz when you catch Natalina, she can answer your questions. Will she go out of her way to find things for you, probably not just like when we asked for the bus schedule to Pula she said I dont know and not let me try to find out. The bottom line is, dont expect to have someone there to answer your question and address all your needs every time. If she is there and she has the information ready or the task is easy (eg restaurant reservation) then you can count on it. Otherwise, your on your own, its not a hotel and it doesn't provide service that a hotel would provide. I wonder how she handles it when its super high season and there are way many guests if she is doing everyting, yikes. Don't get me wrong, Natalina is fabulous but you just need to set your expectations straight.

The villa is beautiful. Very clean, well maintained and what you see in the picture is what you get. We ended up renting apartments in our balkan trip and I have to say, a lot of apartments look better in pictures but not this one. What you see in the pic is what you get. There were reviews that talk about fish smell. I really didnt notice that when we were in the room, the only time I smelled that was when were were walking from the villa to the bus station. I was worried about this but this is a non issue. Mosquitoes? Don't leave your balcony door open and you wouldnt have to worry about it. Its that simple. I think every room has a balcony and if you are on the top floor especially if you take the middle center unit in the topmost floor that has a loft you get a good view of the old town Rovinj and the adriatic sea. Peace and quiet is very important for me after a long day of sightseeing and I was able to get some in here. We stayed at a top floor room to the right of the left corner room (when facing the villa from outside). The room is modern, clean and simple. Laminate/hardwood floors which if your a light sleeper i would suggest you take the top floor coz im sure you can hear footsteps from above coz I did hear some from my neighbors, not a big deal but these things are important to people who are sensitive to sounds. There is a safe, a fridge, toiletries and all the amenities that you find in a hotel. The towel was kinda rough on the skin, felt like sandpaper,which is out of character from the villa's aesthetics. They also tidy the room every day which is why I feel this is trying to be more of a hotel than just an apartment. The internet is also free and works well in the room.

The breakfast at this place is just ok. One thing I like about their breakfast is that most of what is served is from her garden. Sweet strawberries, tomatoes, olives, olive oil, etc. Fresh and healthy ingredients. Someone serves you coffee and tea and asks if you want some eggs. I can imagine what it would be like when that dining room is packed with guests coz there was only one person doing that. Dont get fancy with your eggs, you will just get what they serve. Ive seen worse breakfast options and ive seen much better, this one is in the middle.

Will I be back in this establishment and recommend it to others? Absolutely! I suggest you book with her directly if you want to save a little.

Room Tip: top floor if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlexisRF
Reviewed 16 May 2013

As other reviewers have said, you won't be disappointed.

Natalina was there to welcome us and made some excellent recommendations for eating, drinking and sight-seeing. Also a few places to avoid.

Our room was spacious with a lovely bathroom. Everything was brand-new and spotless. Very quiet at night, so no danger of being awoken by noise.

Breakfasts were very good, with a a high-quality buffet and fresh bread brought to the table.

We enjoyed sitting out on our balcony enjoying a chilled bottle of the family's own wine (at only 6 euro), which is in fact on sale at several of Rovinj's restaurants.

No lift at present but it looked as if one were about to be put in, as the house is being extended.

Room Tip: Some balconies are wider than others if you want to sit outside.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Villa Dobrovac is a small family run hotel, within minutes walk of the delightful town of Rovinj situated on the glorious Istria Peninsular , Croatia. The rooms are spacious and modern , with
comfortable beds. Our room was on the top of floor , and had a small balcony looking over the pine trees to the town. A great breakfast buffet is available, with gorgeous fresh produce provided
by the owners market garden. Eggs cooked in a variety of styles are available. A large pot of coffee was delivered to the table. the owners also make Olive Oil and a lovely range of wine from their vineyards. Our visit coincided with harvest, and it was great to sit on the groundfloor terrace with a glass of wine, and watch the grapes being un loaded into the small winery on-site.
I was amazed at the low price of this hotel when making the booking, and was even more amazed at the great value it represents. I would certainly recommend to friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scarb
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We chose Villa Dobravac because of its excellent reviews. Not sure why our experience was more negative.The best thing about Villa Dobravac is the location. It is within walking distance of Rovinj. However, it is a bit of an uphill climb coming back. There is a lovely view from the parking lot, but not from our room because large pines block it. (Upper floors probably have a better view.) Parking is also available and is free of charge. The bathroom is very nicely done with a nice sized vanity area.
There are a lot of stairs even to the first floor. They really need a lift. There is a fish processing plant on the coast below the Villa. Thus, the whole area reeks of cooking fish during the week. It was pleasantly cool in the evenings when we were there. The first night we kept the windows and door shutters open, but got eaten by mosquitos. The second night we tried using the A/C, but it didn't work well. We both woke up sweating and did not sleep well.
The breakfast arrangement is a little difficult, especially if you're in a hurry. Cold cuts,cheese,fruit, bread, etc. are put out, but there is nothing hot. To get tea or coffee you have to wait for one of the staff to come around and ask what you want. If you want more you have to go to the kitchen to ask. On the first day Mrs. Dobravac came over when we were almost done and told us we could have eggs if we wanted them. However, the 2nd day there was only one staff person there and she was too busy for us to ask for eggs or even more tea. Most of the staff does not speak very good English. Thus, they seem to defer to the Italians that are there and practically ignore the rest of us.
Mrs. Dobravac seems to have a very curt manner and complained a lot to us about how hard they have to work to make any money. She seems to try to do too much herself rather than trust her staff. When we were leaving we packed up the car then had to wait about 10 minutes till she was free to check us out. She did not remind us to leave the key (a regular key, not a card key). Since we were in a hurry we forgot to leave it. When we got to the next Hotel we asked them to send it back for us and they did. When we got home we found that she had sent us a very curt e-mail saying "You have took my room keys with you." and asked us to "kindly" send them back. However, they did not send an e-mail to let us know that they had received the key. We had to write to them ourselves to find out that they had received it. (I had also left an article of clothing that was almost new, but she didn't mention it. I told her to keep it and hoped her staff could use it.)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sunandsand45
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We was in July and we liked very much. we stayed in nona apartment, 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms. everything was ready on when we arrived, very clean and cozy. Natalina, the owner is very nice, even gave us a cot for our 5 months baby. the view is great and the area is quiet and close to the old town. grocery is just around and you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables and an excellent homemade wine. We were extremely pleased with the accommodation and we return anytime.

Room Tip: i think any room is good
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I’ve booked Villa Dobravac for one night – to visit Rovinji. The main reason for booking was very good comments of previous visitors. But the price was rather low in comparison with other hotels in the city, so I had doubts till our arrival…But we were nicely surprised! As we were travelling by car, the location of the villa was great: 5-7 minutes walk along the sea to the city center and parking in the shadow of pine-trees. Moreover, from the courtyard of the villa you have a great view of the city. The hostess were extremely nice and friendly and we received some helpful tips about were to have diner in the old town. The room was cozy, not big but spacious with a balcony on the sea side. Everything looks like being brand new. In the morning they serve rather good breakfast and they prepare eggs on the individual basis, so you can choose what you want. The hosts also produce wine, so it was a nice opportunity to test local wine and to buy couple of bottles directly from the producers. We felt like being no guests but the part of the family ruling the hotel, honestly. I would recommend this place to all my friends!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family