“Quality Hotel”
Review of Island Hotel Istra

Island Hotel Istra
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Rovinj
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Well what can i say me and my wife were looking forward to this holiday for 12 months and we were not disappointed when we got there. 45 mins transfer from Pula airport taking in the scenery on the way.
We were the first to be dropped off the coach. A short walk to the quay side and we then waited a short while for the hotels ferry boat. Mean while taking in the view of the church of Rovinj.
Onto the boat which is great in it self luggage put on the boat by the staff.
On arrival at the hotel after a 15 minute trip across the water, the hotel came into view and this is one to remember in my opinion it is outstanding.
Disembarked and to the hotel for check in. No issues with this and off we went to our romm number 358, hoping it this was going to be a sea view as we did not book one, but it turned out to be a romm at the side of the tennis courts.
We were a bit didapointed at first but we were there to see Rovinj not sit in the room all day and night.
The rooms are well decorated and the bed is really comfortable as my wife never has a good nights sleep when away but she slept like a baby all holiday.
bathrooms are modern fittings and has everything you need hotels shower gel etc. Even shower caps are supplied.
The only down side is the shower is good but the enclosure is a bit small but this didn't bother us too much.
Onto the meals these are very good and the food was always piping hot even the plates are warmed too, so helps when you are going round looking whats on offer.
The hotel does a really good job of trying to put all kinds of food to suit every type of guest.
Drinks included self service beer and wine red and white.
Deserts were good also plenty of choice.
Staff were always there clearing the tables under the watch full eye of the restaurant manager which always had a smile and nod for you.
All in all we would return. Would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going. A little gem.

Room Tip: If you fancy sea view then make sure you do it when you book. To upgrade it's 30 Euros a night.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ray B
There are newer reviews for Island Hotel Istra

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I have never been to Croatia and were a bit unsure when we had chose this destination. We were so glad we went, it was brilliant. The hotel was fabulous and we truly enjoyed our stay. Although, we were not happy with the room on arrival as we were given a room with a view of a roof top which we were shocked at. We had booked with Thomson and we were told it was the standard Thomson room. I think Thomson should be more clear as they have in their brochure and on the website showing pictures of beautiful views which is definitely not the case. So be warned book a sea or pool view and pay the extra when booking. The receptionist was brilliant and so helpful and arranged for me to have my dream of a beautiful view which was well worth the extra cost. The young girls in the downstairs pool side café were really good and worked so hard and nothing was too much trouble. Also I must mention Borijope in the restaurant who was a star and always cheerful and really all the staff, as they kept the place so clear of dirty dishes, absolute stars. I always say I wont go back to the same place but this is definitely going to be the exception to the rule. I will be back! Congratulations to the manager on such a clean brilliant hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view. We stayed in 219
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Barbara E
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just returned from a fantastic week's stay. The 15 minute ferry journey was always a treat and always on time. Didn't see any, but there are dolphins about! Hotel itself was great, especially as we seemed to have got a better room than expected after reading some reviews great views of the pools and crystal clear sea beyond. Location and views are unbeatable, especially at sunset. Tremendous choice of food in morning and evening, so didn't get to Rovinj as often as expected. When we did, it was always worth the trip - very atmospheric. Free drinks with dinner, but reasonable prices in the bars. Bring a snorkel and mask for the sea as well as water shoes for the rocks. Take time to explore the 2 islands and find your own private beach.
Only gripe was that air con was not very good in the room and only duvets, so too hot at night. We complained twice, but were told that it only ever reduces the temperature by 2 degrees vs outside, so not enough in summer.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank craiganj
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I visited this hotel a year ago in August 2013. I wanted to review this hotel last year and have to say i completely forgot!

The location is just absolutely stunning!!! I had never been to Croatia before, this was our first trip last year and it certainly did not disappoint!

I had read lots of reviews about the building being ugly but do not let this put you off. It is clean and spacious inside with the good pools and good facilities. The rooms and a good size and very clean and well kept. The food, was lovely also.

Rovinj itself it just absolutely beautiful. The boat ride was regular and made it extremely easy if you fancied a quick trip over. Lots of lovely little arty shops and cafes in between cobbled alleyways. On once occasion we had lunch in a small restaurant that actually had four or five little tables on the rocks, right next to the sea.

There's lot of things to do for the kids at the hotel, they run a holiday club I believe in the day time and have a short disco of the night. My son, didn't use the holiday club as he was quite happy in the pool every day or going for a walk around the Island.

The Thomson Rep (can't remember his name) was also wonderful, Extremely eager to help and very friendly.

I would have to say I would 100% come back! Unfortunately, my other half likes to try different destinations every time, otherwise I would be back here in a heart beat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarahnextdoor
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived by hire car to the ferry port and we were met by lack of information and a rather rude woman ordering us around. We were told to "put the car there" and wait for the shuttle bus, I had to follow the bus to a car park and then I was brought back to the ferry. I had to leave my wife and the luggage at the ferry port to wait for me. We were staring to get worried that this was going to set the tone for our stay. However when we arrived at the Island hotel things were much better. The receptionist Ninnetta was very friendly and efficient making us feel very welcome. We were give a room upgrade as they didn't have the basic room we had booked :-) The main restaurant where breakfast is served (The scrambled egg at breakfast is great!) is called the Mediterranean which does a buffet style evening meal which is very reasonable at 180Kuna per person including wine and beer on tap. The Hotel is on 2 Islands with a number of bars, restaurants and cafes, there are swimming pools both salt water and fresh and free activities every day if you wish. We tried the Archery and Air rifle shooting with Igor giving us some excellent tuition. The smaller island is connected by a causeway and though we were told it is nudist, I understand the sign had been blown down in a storm so nowadays it seems to be clothing optional. The whole perimeter of the island is rocky and quite difficult to get in and out of the sea if your not a mountain goat. The Lanterna restaurant on the island needs a bit of a face lift as it has seen better days but there are nice views out over the sea and because everyone thinks the island is nudist then it can be a bit quieter than the other eating places. The Captains Club Bar is excellent and Ivicay (Sorry mate if I am spelling this wrong) is an absolute star, he realy made our evenings special. We were able to sit by the sea and drink wine whilst watching the sun set. On one night we were there supporting Croatia in the opening world cup match against Brazil, shame about the result. On the opposite side of the Island to the Captins Club is the Blue Bar which is more of a cafe than a bar. It is just off the beach near the causeway it is a nice spot for a cocktail (40Kunas) during the day when you need to get out of the sun. It does some fast food off the same menu used in the rest of the complex. There is no wifi in the rooms but they will give you a wire connector at reception so you can connect your laptop directly. In summary, friendly service in a place with a great view. Such a shame that the woman at the ferry port was brusk and unfriendly.

Room Tip: We had booked a double room but were given an upgrade when we arrived. I wish I had thought to ensur...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter25001
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked this hotel just 48 hours before departure. Not sure what we were going to I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised. It is situated on the island. A place for everyone excellent. What more can I say If you wanted to be around people no problem, if you wanted to find a cosy quiet place no problem. The hotel is in the most ideal place you could wish for. Wonderful views. rand.I went with my daughter and six year old grandson. We all had a wonderful time. I would strongly recommend.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and had stunning views of the other islands and the light house island. P...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank johnson30039
Reviewed 5 August 2014

An 11 night holiday at Hotel Istra on the small traffic free island of St Andrews just off Rovinj in Northern Croatia was restful enjoyable and very good value. Buffet meals were always plentiful in terms of selection and quality. The wine & beer on tap throughout the meal an added bonus, but beer at the Captains Club overlooking the Adriatic and watching the sunsets was a bargain @ 23kuna/pint (£2.56). Delightful friendly staff, spotless facility and superb pools ~ 2 x 50m ~ one freshwater the other seawater. Not having been before but very interested in the area, this was one of our better decisions, and one to be repeated with Thomson or Jet2Holidays. The regular short ferry to the mainland was soon part of the daily ritual and wast the best way to appreciate Rovinj ~ think Venice but smaller and definitely cheaper

Room Tip: Seaview rooms cost an extra €30/night and are not essential
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple