“Beatifull Hotel!”
Review of Hotel Angelo d'Oro

Hotel Angelo d'Oro
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Rovinj
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I have travelled a lot in my live. And I have been in different countries and different Hotels. All I can say that this one was one of the best holidays I ever had.

First of all the rooms always clean and well decorated. Also waiters and other staf members where really polite and helpful. They were actually really well educated and knew a lot about the city history, also they prgonised some good tours for me and my friend.

My overall review is that people should come and see Rovinj and i Advise to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank VidDublin
There are newer reviews for Hotel Angelo d'Oro

Reviewed 27 August 2007

I should definitely put in a word for this charming and elegant hotel. We stayed at Angelo D’Oro for a week in the middle of August (which means peak season and peak prices), and when I came across all these negative reviews just before our vacation I must confess I had much to worry about. But luckily they turned out to be a complete nonsense – the hotel is very nice and costs the money (by the way, 220 euro per night is average for this class, and the extreme 5-star luxury costs much much more) . Facts first.

The hotel is situated in a 17th century building, and it gives just a perfect ambience of the good old European chic, and has nothing to do with being outdated or such.

The rooms are NOT pokey at all – I can’t imagine how one could label them that. They are decorated with no excess, but with grace; the furniture (wardrobe, coffee tables and chairs) are antique, but well restored and in a perfect condition. The bathroom was spacey and decorated with an arc of natural stone; the douche cabin was simple – but who needs more?

What about the noise – we had a room on the 2nd floor outlooking the street (which also means a seaview over the roofs of nearby houses), and had no troubles with noise at all. Of course time to time you hear the bells of the cathedral or seagulls screaming – but the street itself is very small, quiet and nice. At last, do not forget that you are in the heart of an old town – which means it has to be lively. If you are looking for an absolute silence, it would be rather a mistake to stay in the city – in this case you’d better book into a wonderful Catarina hotel situated on the nearest island of the same name (5 minute ride by public boat, free of charge) or find an accommodation in a private isolated cottage or villa.

The personnel was very positive, although I would rather call the boys at the reception "informal", but altogether it creates a friendly atmosphere of a stay not at the snobbish hotel, but rather at the villa of your friends.

The hotel restaurant in the patio is very charming, and is especially beautiful in the late evenings. Still I recommend it mainly for breakfasts – the hotel cousine is okay but nothing special, while next door to the hotel you’ll find a wonderfull and elegant small Krcma Ulika, which has 5 tables, gorgeous lady owner and the best cousine in town. Do not risk with a famous Monte restaurant near the cathedral – it is the best on the design, but I had a heavy poisoning with their duckbreast, and my boyfriend felt not quite good after their suckling pig, too.

Well, let’s resume: Hotel Villa Angelo D’Oro absolutely suits its 4 stars and I would recommend it to anyone who prefers style and atmosphere (of, let’s say, Spanish "Paradores" or my Italian favorites Grand Hotel Le Rocce and Punta Rossa) over the sterility of Marriotts and Hiltons.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank inside_susan
Reviewed 24 August 2007

Like some of the Hotels in Croatia, one MUST to be very careful and investigate the Hotel before you go there! I wondered how many of them they got their stars? This Hotel is a small nicely decorated hotel Venice style in the center of town, but the overall service was horrible! They also are very over priced and nothing to show for it except the Bldg. The food and drinks were below average and over priced! There service was below avg, but below a 4-5 star hotel. The breakfast was a disappointment and the service at breakfast was horrible, we had to befriend a waiter in order to get prompt service because, they were so understaffed. You had to literally get up and get your own cup of coffee etc. I ordered a glass of white wine for a drink on the patio with friends and it was horrible, but priced at such high prices, I had to send it back and order a beer. There is lots of potential at this hotel but, don't expect the Four Seasons even though they try to give you that impression at 200.00 Euros per night. It was a lesson learned and I would not stay there again even at half the price! BEWARE! RobDiplomat

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank RobDiplomat
Reviewed 19 August 2007

My friend and I are both experienced independent travelers and we came across this hotel on the internet.

Rovinj is a beautiful place. The hotel is in a great location on a cobbled street and within walking distance of everything.

We had a large room at the top of the building with a view (of sorts - you had to stand on tiptoes at the window) over the sea. The decor was traditional /rustic (it reminded me of a Parador in Spain) and the bathroom was small but well equipped and clean.

The staff were extremely formal, which did come across as rather grumpy. They answered questions, but did not offer help without being specifically asked. There was a distinct lack of hospitality.

Overall, however, this hotel is way too expensive. Breakfast is included, but there was hardly enough food and the staff seemed reluctant to bring more.

I would not go back nor would I recommend it as I am sure it would be possible to find something just a nice but a lot cheaper.
I would definitely go to Rovinj again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank TaxChic
Reviewed 9 July 2007

Well we should have written this review a long time ago but you know how it is, time flies when you are having fun, unfortunately same cannot be said of this hotel.

This has to be one of the worst rip offs ever. We had booked 14 days in this hotel when in fact I believe it would be a mental challenge to stay more than 48 hours. When we first arrived our first impression was of a pretty building (somewhat small) in a good location in the old town.

Then we saw our room, I think the shock of the size, decor (or the lack of it) left us speechless. The room was so pokey it had a window overlooking the airconditioning void space and a sky light but absolutely no view. Bearing in mind they knew we were staying 14 days, we DEFINITELY thought they were joking...apparently not. The decor was shabby and the furnishing very basic and in no way can it be considered a four star hotel. We quickly spoke to the management and after some deliberations they moved us to another room.

The new room was an improvement in both size and style, it was also light and airy. However the bathroom was terrible with a shower that leaked water everywhere, towels like sandpaper and a cupboard with hanging space for 3 items and no drawers. Great just what you need for two people over 14 days. In addition we did not realise that the room overlooked the street below and if you were foolish enough to open the windows you were subjected to crowds of screaming Italians acting as if they had just witnessed Christ rising when they saw a cobbled street .

The worst bit about the hotel was the service, we had a moody hostess who acted at all times with attitude, everything was greeted with a frown and we didnt feel much of a warm welcome that you would expect paying 200 euros a night. There are many other Hotels and accomodation alternatives in Rovinj in particular apartments appear a much better option

Finally I must say lthe breakfast was a disgrace for a hotel of this standard, we felt totally fleeced and unappreciated we will never return to Angelo, despite this we loved Rovinj and made the most of our stay

Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank sinbad19
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We stayed in this beautiful hotel for two nights on our way to Hotel Istra on Red Island.
It s in the old town which is really picturesque - close to the sea and to the fruit and vegetable markets and small bars and restaurants.
Although this hotel cost more than many of the other hotels in the town, it was well worth it. We had a lovely room with a view of the tourquise sea. Breakfast is served in the garden and includes a selection of cheeses andcold meats aswell as juice, fruit, many different types of bread; cereals etc.
Rooms are very tastefully decorated and the staff are friendly. The Hotel is close to anywhere you will need to walk to in Rovinj located along a cobblestoned street.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2006

We read amazing things about this hotel in our guidebook and we were looking forward to staying there. When we went to get a room, the staff member showed us a couple rooms and they were very small and shabby looking. The furnishings in the rooms looked more like 2 star, not 4 star. We decided not to stay there. Way overpriced for 192 euros for a double room.

Stayed: July 2006