“Great Rooms But Be Aware”
Review of Casa Garzotto

Casa Garzotto
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Rovinj
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The rooms in the main building are beautiful, tudor style. I was told there was wi-fi in my room and I thought I was paying as much as 105 euros for that service. The wi-fi really only works in the lobby where it is rather hot. I had to go out to a cafe down the alley where one could get free wi-fi. Also, I was told I would be taken back to the airport- no price was mentioned, sounded like it was included. The next day I was told that they forgot to tell me it was 30 euros. A bit of an omission, and I had already changed my plans expecting an included trip. As a solo traveller, I wasn't a priority for pickup at the bus station either. So while the rooms are great, just be aware that wi-fi is hard to come by as everywhere else in croatia. Stairs in the main building are steep and long as well.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank DCTravelBuff

Reviewed 2 October 2010

First off, I need to reply to one person's comment about Dario. Yes, for some he is a bit too smooth. However, he is a good people person and good businessman. I don't know him very well, for I have only had limited interactions with him, but I would say for business purposes, his intentions are going to usually be good. That being said, I think when he offered the room to the person a few reviews down from this one, it was to show how he was correcting a mistake. Just my take.

Anyway, arriving in Rovinj, you call the hotel and someone comes out on foot to help get you into town. Warning - you should have a car to reach Rovinj. If not, then you are wasting time. Next, they drive you to the hotel, in the old part of town, drop you off and then take your car to a lot away from the city center. When you need it later, they will go get it for you.

The room we got was beautiful and the view out our window was equally grand. The town just looks and feels old, perfect for a romantic get-away. Our room/suite came with a large bed, modern TV, kitchenette, table and large bathroom. Everything was in order and the breakfast that came with it was good as well. We ate at a nearby restaurant and Dario suggested one in particular and made reservations for us. When we arrived, we got a great seat and a free appetizer. Not sure if there is some connection there or not, but honestly I don't care.

Only negative to this whole town is in the back alleys, it does occasionally smell like car urine. This is what happens when there are too may stray cats.

Would come back to Rovinj and would stay in Casa Garzotto again. Dario, supposedly, is working on opening a restaurant soon. I would be interested in trying that upon my return to Rovinj.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David K
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed in the top floor of the original hotel. The room was large and full of light for being in the old city and charming. The staff was amazing meeting you at the entrance of the old city and parking your car after escorting you to the hotel. Bikes came with the hotel and were great and were gotten for us when asked. Breakfast was in a restaurant a few doors away and was delightful . One has to remember you are in the old city so church bells are heard all night. Bring the ear plugs.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I had booked to stay a week at Casa Garzotto in Oct 2009. When I arrived the room was double booked at which point Dario (the Owner) said he had a spare room at his apartment. This made me very suspicious as I had no intention of staying with a stranger. I declined and stayed at another hotel. However I do not think this is appropriate behaviour of a hotel owner.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
9  Thank Sade09
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We spent 3 nights at Casa Garzotto. From the moment we arrived we were treated wonderfully. They took care of our car and bags while we were in Venice for two nights in the middle of our stay. Complimentary drinks and pleasant conversation made the experience even better. The rooms are well appointed and very clean. All staff were very friendly and Steven was the hardest working guy in Rovinj. We hope to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank croanada
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed 8 nights in July in this wonderful hotel. The staff was nice, helpfull and very friendly.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

Casa Garzotto and its annex, Baladur -Pavan are well located and clean. However, due to a reservation error we were double booked and paid about twice what the rooms we occupied should have cost. We stayed 2 nights. Neither at check-in or check-out did anyone inform us that we were listed for 3 rooms instead of 2 [out of 8 rooms total ]. We only discovered this when we returned and received the credit card invoice. Although professing to wish to help, the owner has basically stalled and and was not willing to even check his guest register. Dario may be friendly but the inns are poorly managed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends