“Trip to Jamu Lodge” 5 of 5 bubbles

Jamu Lodge
Quito, Ecuador
“Trip to Jamu Lodge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I had mixed feelings after reading some of the reviews, but glad that I decided to go. The Cuyabeno area is just fantastic with lots of wildlife to see.
The lodge has a very friendly staff, the guide (David) was excellent, pointing out lots of animals on our tours.
The double rooms were clean, with mosquito nets, hot shower and even had electricity in the bathrooms.
Overall, great experience for the money you pay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I've read some mixed reviews and decided to share my view of the Jamu Lodge.

The housing infrastructure is steady and comfortable and our lodge was small but cozy with a decent mosquito net. I did not see any trash at all even though it's reported in other reviews. Someone spotted a plastic bottle in the river and it was picked up immediately.

My girlfriend got sick on arrival in the evening - probably side effects from the malaria tablets - and we skipped dinner. Our guide David was very hospitable and pro-active. He came by our lodge with ORS and soothing tea. All his interactions felt genuine.

Besides from that he was also a very good naturalist and spotter. Later on the trip we saw a lot of different wild life (too much to count). Every time we went out on the boat our guide was spotting animals relentlessly. The day and night walks were amazing as well and to call the lagoon beautiful is an understatement.

You get a whole lot in return for the small amount of dollars you will spend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have been to the rainforest in Ecuador twice before and both times the guides were amazing: patient, knowledgeable, more or less on time. They put their guests first. Our guide Miguel AKA Condor was rude, impatient, late, unprepared and spent more time flirting with one of the girls on our trip then trying to ensure that everone had a good time.

Specific examples:

After being asked for the second time about our daily itinerary he told one guest rudely "like I have already told you, we are going to hike for about an hour."

Because it was my friends birthday after dinner they came out with an cake for her, it was very sweet and super special! While we waited for plates to arrive I continued to show some of the pictures I had taken that day to a guest who had asked about them. Miguel interrupted and told me I was being rude and disrespectful to my friend by not giving him the opportunity to thank the cooks who had made my friends very special cake and that they work very hard to feed us. He then pulled out a tip envelope and put it on the table.

While I was talking to other guests Miguel came to the table we were sitting at and plunked a book down in front of me and the girl he was trying to pick up. I continued to talk to the guest I had been talking to until I was told that he had brought the book to the table because he thought it would be interesting to us so could we pay attention.

He constantly waivered between being rude and aggressively cheerful.

They also tried very hard to chose where you could sit for dinner and who you could dine with based on length of tour. If you tried to sit with other people you were told you couldnt.

In addition Miguel planned a trip for the midday heat everyday... all of the animals were sleeping or hiding.

When we went to the indigenous village to visit he disappeared for at least an hour and did not tell us where the bathroom or drinking water was.

Later when a new group arrived we were put with Pedro who was FANTASTIC. Unlike Miguel, Pedro didn;t sound rehearsed or bored and he told us some very cool facts about some of the animals we looked at.

Additionally we were there for 5 days and only one day did they provide sufficient food for vegetarians.

The location it self is AMAZING and we saw so many animals however having an arrogant and ignorant guide definitely put a damper on the experience. I will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank AllieMine
jamucito, Gerente at Jamu Lodge, responded to this review, 16 July 2015
Dear AllieMine, we appreciate you have taken some time to let us know about your stay in our lodge. First we want you to know that just like the other lodges you previously visited with, our goal is to provide you with the best experience in Cuyabeno and we wholeheartedly assure you that we won´t ever allow anyone in our staff to mare our guests´ experience, so we are glad to let you know that Miguel is no longer one of our guides. So, finally we just want to say thanks for informing us the Management Office about what is not working properly. Hope to have you soon again in our lodge so you can see by yourself the difference between your past experience and a current one.
Nevada City, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

but also wouldn't really recommend. The food was nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about, either. The guide was very knowledgeable and found a lot of wildlife for us, which was wonderful. The itinerary was exactly as described for our group. Our days were spent away from the lodge on the river or on hikes, which was wonderful. That part of the experience was truly great since we saw a lot of wildlife and our guide was very knowledgeable and chatty about things!

The staff was friendly, but were all very young and focused on the other young adults at the lodge. My 2 sons and I were mostly ignored. If we were a young couple or single, I would have had a very different experience. Traveling as a single mom, throughout South America, I found people went out of their way to be helpful, that was not the case at Jamu. At the lodge, I felt they seemed burdened that we were there. The guide was actually great with my kids, but there were no accommodations or helped offered to me when it was obvious I was repeatedly struggling to do things because I was helping my kids. No one was rude about it, but it was just odd that no one seemed to notice that it might take me a little bit longer to do things because I was trying to help 3 of us do it. Often other guest would offer to help, but never the staff.

Additionally, I confirmed 3 times beforehand that we had a matrimonial suite since I knew those were quieter rooms. When we arrived, we had 3 single beds in a tower with a group of very loud, young Germans. They were just having fun. I didn't expect them to be quiet for us. However, my kids didn't get much sleep and would have had we got the room I reserved and had confirmed for the trip.

The bus trip from Lago Agrio to the Reserve was not pleasant, but I didn't really expect much more than that. This is a budget trip, so my expectations were set for budget! I just would have expected to get the room that I reserved and an extra hand or moment here and there since I was alone with my kids.

Lastly, there was a lot of random trash strewn about the property. None of it was visible from the main dining area or the common areas, but looking out the windows of any of the rooms, there was a lot of trash. I don't mean a few pieces of paper. It looked like someone would have emptied a couple of 32 gallon trash bins out the window. That seemed very odd!

I would recommend this lodge for young travelers who want a good party. Not so much for an adult traveling alone with kids. If I had been with my husband, our experience would have been vastly different because he would have been able to help. If I were to do it again, I would have paid a bit more to get a bit more out of the experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tarantula or one of the other rooms that are not in one of the towers, which were very l...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chariemcs
Quito
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

After reading all the amazing reviews here, I feel like we stayed at some other Jamu Lodge. We did the 3n/4d trip.

Our trip started on a hot bus with windows that don't open and a bus driver who took many unnecessary risks while driving (which is the norm for Ecuador). We met then someone who sort of spoke English and gave us chicken and vegetables in a tupperware. If you're vegetarian, you just get a few more vegetables. Then we got on the canoe and it turned out the guy who gave us food was going to be our guide. He pointed out the birds and anything of interest while we rode down to the lodge, but if you weren't up front, you couldn't hear a word because of the engine noise. We then got to the lodge, had some juice, and got our rooms. Later, and every night after, we went to the lake to swim and watch the sunset. That was pretty much the only day that stuck to the itinerary they gave us when we bought the tickets in Quito.

We just dropped any notion that the activities would follow the order in the itinerary, but we hoped we would still at least do the activities it mentioned. The itinerary said we'd visit two local communities, but we just went to one. We ended up paying $6 each instead of $4 for the yuca bread and shaman. I guess that made up for not paying the park entrance fee. I think groups from other lodges payed the entrance fee, but our group just skipped going in the park office. We pretty much did everything else mentioned, except the piranha fishing. Maybe it's prohibited now. No one mentioned it. I know other groups at Jamu got to hike more than we did, because we met them at the community after they had just finished a hike in the rain forest. We saw another group get to do some canoe paddling on the lake, which we didn't do. Not counting the night hike, we only got to walk in the rain forest once, for about 3 hours.

The lodge itself had no surprises. We didn't get the exact room we were told, but I've been in Ecuador long enough to not believe a word anyone tells me, so it wasn't surprising. No lights and cold showers were expected. Our room had a nice view of the forest, monkeys, and a trash covered tin roof. I'd be embarrassed if I owned this place and saw the amount of garbage accumulated on the roof, or piles of random construction equipment laying around.

The food was really good, served family style. The staff made a pretty good effort to cater to vegetarians. Instead of a meat dish, they served fried eggplant or stuffed peppers. One night there wasn't a main vegetarian dish, but when we asked if one was coming, they said that the side dishes everyone else got was the main vegetarian dish. They then offered to fry an egg.

I think the most disappointing was the rookie guide. He was a really nice guy, and I know he knew a lot about the rain forest, he just kept it to himself. I'm guessing it was due to a lack of English speaking confidence. We learned most of our information by eavesdropping on another group's guide. Our guide could have used some more training before actually taking on paying customers. I had to keep telling myself that this was one of the cheaper lodges, and we get what we paid for, but it was hard to convince myself this while watching another group at the same lodge have a totally different experience.

Room Tip: The Tarantula room was nice and I think had hot water. We stayed in the Piranha(matrimonial) which...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank QuitoJohn
jamucito, Gerente at Jamu Lodge, responded to this review, 16 July 2015
Hello QuitoJohn! Firstly we want to say thanks for your remarks on your personal stay in JAMU LODGE. We are glad that you enjoyed the paradise-like landscape surrounding the lake as well as that you also had the chance to delight yourself by swimming in it. So it seems that your overall experience was good. As for your staying in a room that was not chosen by you, we are very sorry about that we want to inform you that some measures were taken so that such a kind of misunderstanding will not repeat ever again. We hope that this response and the measures taken will satisfy you in a next visit. As for the trash you saw on the roof, it was totally replaced by one of recycled Tetrapack. Also further measures have been passed so that neither workers nor clients may not throw trash on this blind point in our Hotel. As for the guide you refer to, his name is Pedro, he is a member of the local community that was getting started his career as guide. We have to say that he has evolved professionally and currently we are very satisfied with his performance. However, we are aware that in his professionalization process he might have made mistakes, for which we are sorry, but as you know mistakes are inherent to the learning process. And finally about our food some changes have been implemented to satisfy all our guests.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Forest was about 15-20 meters tall on average, shorter than expected. Density of wildlife was low, mostly birds, less than half with interesting plumage (mostly sparrows, herons, etc), but saw a few monkeys from a distance. Guide spoke broken English and was unenthusiastic. You don't fish for piranhas as advertised. Lake sunsets were pretty. Overall, felt like a visit to central Florida. I preferred the Ecuadorean highlands.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jsnap15
jamucito, Gerente at Jamu Lodge, responded to this review, 16 July 2015
Thanks for your comment JSnap15!! Although it seems that your expectations on the Cuyabeno rainforest were not fully satisfied. To this respect, we need to tell you that about a 50% of our bookings are made by Travel Agents with whom, unfortunately, we usually don´t keep a frequent information exchange which involves the risk that sometimes things don´t work in the right way.
Westerlo, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here for four days, with our two children 13 & 17 years old. This was a fantastic experience. It was very well organised and we had the guide Henry Palacias. This guide is really good in his job. He knows enormously a lot of the environment. There was a specialist in our group from Spain specialised in tropical spiders, but Henry knows at least as much. The cabins our n the middle of the nature so you experience the real jungle life in the night, without any trouble of insects. It is quit basically, but certainly for the teens it was an adventure of which they are still talking....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Cuyabeno River Lodge
#7 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Cotococha Amazon Lodge
Amazon Dolphin Lodge

Been to Jamu Lodge? Share your experiences!