“Beautiful experience”
Review of Siona Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Siona Lodge
Brno, Czech Republic
“Beautiful experience”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I came to Siona Lodge travelling with my family and all of us were impressed. Our stay in Amazonia exceeded our expectations in all points of view. Compared to other lodges, Siona is a small place just for 22 tourist so the impression of being in the heart of the jungle is not disturbed by masses of people. The entire lodge is built in an ecologic way and you really see that the people working there love the surroundings and do the maximum for perserving the amazonian nature. The guide´s knowledge of the amazonian forrest is incredible as well as his language skills (spanish like native, perfect english, german and a couple of indian languages just by the way).
Although you stay pretty far away from "the civilization" the accommodation is comfortable and food delicious. We deffinitelly didnt expect comfort like this in the jungle. But everything seems natural, the stuff is nice and caring and no question remains without response.
Also the quite little time we had (4 days) was well used. We arrived in the late afternoon and instead of letting us just look around, there was a night activity on the first day as well as an early morning bird-watching on the last day. You felt that the guides are trying to do the best and make you enjoy every minute staying in Amazonia.
I just highly recommend to carry your own high quality light to be able to look for the animals during night activities by yourself. A binocular is also not bad to have with you! They provide rubber boots rain coat to go to the forrest. You cant have better clothes for that.
Maybe we were just lucky to come right to this lodge and meet those people we met, but Im sure that we will never forget this holidays. In case that there will be the opportunity to come back to ecuatorian jungle, only with the guides Luis and Jacob :-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed at the lodge for 5 days and I can't recommend the place. The rooms are open and you hear everything from the next room. You can't sleep longer than until 7 because the workers are speaking very loud.

The guide was unable to be on time but it was only his second group. He was motivated but it was a real pity he knew many animal names only in his language.

Most of the trips were in boat and I've expected more activities by foot. His vocabulary is very limited but it was nice to see how he likes the jungle.

The food was always one of two meals and sometimes there was no milk at the breakfast. Also there were mice in the room at night. The visit at the indio village didn't seem to be real because the man said he doesn't have a telephone but at the last day we saw him an the bus station playing with his iphone...

Room Tip: A room where there is no room nearby...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AngelinaManser
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I loved my time at Siona Lodge. The accommodation is simple, but clean and the showers have warm water. The food was delicious and the staff very friendly and helpful. I saw a lot of wildlife caimans, macaws, monkeys, spiders and frogs. And our naturalist guide was absolutely amazing, he was very knowledgeable about everything and he was able to spot animals from a big distance. The tour in the Cuyabeno Reserve was one of the highlights of my time in Ecuador. And the price of the tour is very reasonable, a bargain for the quality they offer. Recommended!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Montreal
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I recommend this lodge, we had a good experience overall !

The room is clean. The bed has a good net. The sheets and the bed smell humidity, but it is so humid in that place that it is normal. We had our room for two, but you have to know that between two rooms there is a separation, but very thin... you can hear easily the people in the room situated in the room next to your room. The food was relativly good for a remote place like that, always with fruits and vegetables. There is solar power for light and to charge batteries from around 18h to 22h.

Our guide was also very good, he showed us many animals very hard to find !

You have to know that pirahna fishing is forbidden.

The bad point is that one of the staff member was Under the effect of a substance our very last morning. The other staff members let the person be with us instead of asking this person to stay quiet in a room.

When you go in a lodge in Cuyabeno :
-Don't forget your bathing suit, you can swin in one lake.
-Bring a shirt with long sleeves, it is usefull in the boat because of the wind and the sun. It is also very usefull to protect you from the mosquitos in the forest.
- Pants are also essential since there are mosquitoes. If you have one of these pants that dry fast, it is usefull.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 14 July 2013

There is so much to do and you are never bored! Activities go from Piranha fishing to Caiman viewing. There are giant spiders to see on Night Walks and sometimes a troop of monkeys will pass through the lodging areas. Make sure to bring shampoo because none is provided, and there may even be tree frogs in your shower! ;) There was with us!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fish1045
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I decided on this lodge mainly due to price to be honest. When I was doing my research for my trip I found that there are alot of ways to get into the Amazon, and they vary greatly in price. I was astounded when I got there. The lodge is amazing! It is situated on a lake in the Cuyabeno reserve. The water was so amazingly still that the sky was perfectly reflected in it. Our guide Luis was in a class in and of himself. He was a native to the Amazon, and so full of knowledge. He really went the extra mile to make sure that we all had a fabulous time. He spoke English very well, as well as German. We had a driver named Enrique, who was fabulous. He was also a local and had nagivated the waters for years. I felt completely safe zipping up and down the river with him. The rest of the staff at the lodge where also amazing. The food was fabulous, and there was lots of it too! The wildlife was great too! We saw so many different monkeys, birds, and lots of other wildlife, including the pink river dolphins. I would recommend this lodge to anyone interested in going to the Amazon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I lived the best experience of my life in the Cuyabeno, the lodge was magnificent, eventhough it is in the jungle had all the amenities. the staff is very friendly and helpful, the food is delicious, I assure you that nobody had a problem in that regard, but the best of Siona lodge is Louis the naturalist guide, knows every corner of the Cuyabeno and thanks to him we saw 108 species between monkeys , boas, birds and insects. We could also swim in the lagoon very safe as we always gave safety equipment as lifejacket, rain poncho and boots.
I even had the pleasure of meeting the manager, and he is very friendly, always attentive to the needs of each client.

one extra information I give is that I could also visit other lodge and I assure you that no one is as good as Siona Lodge.

I am very grateful to everyone at Siona Lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Jamu Lodge
Jamu Lodge
#3 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve

Been to Siona Lodge? Share your experiences!