“Terrible food...but one hell of an experience.”
Review of Resaca

Resaca
Ranked #333 of 509 Restaurants in Guayaquil
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Because you can't eat atmosphere or service, I am giving it a 1. However, the staff and our experience here was quite unique and I'd give them a 5 for taking care of their guests. Husband and I debated that our meals here might have been in our Top 5 worst meals of our lives. No joke. Just bad. It's unfortunate because it's in a great location, nice views of the water and a chill rooftop terrace.

We stopped here because we were staying in a hotel just a few blocks up and had been walking around on the malecon...there was a lot of Christmas festivities going on and a ton of people out. The area had Santa, rides, nativity sets, holiday lights...there was just a ton of local families out with their kids and it was really nice. While we were debating the menu at the door, a huge commotion and police officers / sirens started to fill the area. We werent sure what was going on so we just decided to go inside to get off the street. Once we were there, they closed the restaurant doors and locked them which was odd...and we kind of freaked out...OK, guess we were eating here. We went upstairs to the rooftop terrace, sat down and ordered. We noticed commotion continue to go on down below, police here and there and within 20 minutes the entire malecon was cleared. We asked the manager what was going on and he said that it was reported that after a futbol game, some hoodlums with guns were robbing people up and down the malecon. In particular, there were gunmen on a corner a few blocks down staked out. At this point the entire area was nearly deserted, and the restaurant was clearing but people were apprehensive to leave and go on the street. Some of the local people just walked out but you could tell that most people that looked like tourists didnt know what to do.

To make a long story short, we waited and waited...obviously, not wanting to leave because supposed danger, with guns and robbing people was actually up in the direction that we needed to walk to get back to our hotel. There were also no taxis around for us. The manager then walked me and my husband to the door and had one of his friends, I believe another staff member, pull up his car right in front of the restaurant, he waved us in, and drove us to our hotel. It was pretty crazy that they did that and we were so thankful. My husband and I have travelled a lot throughout S. America and have never really felt unsafe but this was the first time that we've been exposed to an incident like this. We're so appreciative to the staff at this restaurant for helping us out.

1  Thank AP_Phoenix

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

The food was surprisingly good - very tasty. The service was mediocre. There was loud blaring music downstairs so I ate upstairs on the roof which has great views over the river - but got a bit chilly in the evening breezes.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Our hotel recommended this as a local place to have lunch. It was OK, but not terrific... The beer was cold, the food prompt, and we had portions enough. The outdoor seating was fine and cooling. Our server was great!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Ate lunch here and was very disappointed. Cheese quesadilla arrived cold after a long wait. Told waiter and he said "the quesadillas are better with chicken and the fajitas are better too" but didn't offer to get me anything else. It was very dry and the cheese was hard to chew since it was cold. Cappuccino was terrible - tasted like they put caramel flavoring in and it was very sweet. My friend had the corvina in a white mayonnaise sauce with lemon (too much sauce, killed the taste of the fish). This meal was so bad that I was moved to write my very first review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

If ever happen to walk on Malecon - Guayaquil with an idea of getting kind of' refreshment in your mind, please find other restaurant. First, they will not understand you even if you know how to put couple Spanish words together and second, either they have no idea of their business at all or they simply do not care. We ordered daikiri and got a frozen soda flavoured with who knows what, without a drop of rum. We protested but with no result and when we finally explained what content of daikiri should be, a barteiinder proudly pulled out bottle of soda showing it to us. Of course, it was pointless to continue, so we paid the bill and left the place. Maybe it would be better if they make a view point of today's restaurant and forget about drinks and food. Of course, I must not forget that they do have some skills - they succesfuly charged it 8$ per coctail.