“Perfect for a night!”

Manso Boutique Guesthouse
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect for a night!”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

...not because you couldn't stay longer, but because, you know, Guayaquil isn't the greatest place on earth to hang around. That said, it's clear that the staff take pride in running a clean and comfortable place. It was a welcome respite from the bustle of GYE, and we felt totally safe and secure. We stayed in the Cacao room - two twin beds, shared bathroom with one of the dormitories. The room was more than comfortable for two men and our packs. The beds are comfy, the linens are great quality and clean, and the air-conditioner is quiet and powerful. The hot shower was great, but they may want to work on the plumbing; our shared toilet didn't really flush. Brekkie is somewhat slim, so spring for the eggs et al for an extra $2 or so.

El Manso's location rocks; adjacent to the Malecón, 7 blocks from some great nightlife, and only 15 minutes ($5) from the airport. Stayed here twice, and it's the perfect overnight transit stop.

Room Tip: Traffic noise is no joke-- get a room towards the back of the hostal!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Manso Boutique Hotel is a true gem. It's conveniently located right across from Guayaquil's Malecon 2000 and only a few blocks from the Parque de las Iguanas.
Rooms are clean and decorated nicely, and are perfect for relaxing after a long day of traveling or sightseeing. There is free breakfast (with all rooms except for the dorms) and a menu full of tasty, organic, and vegetarian meals. Staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
vancouver
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at the MBH for 3 nights and while the location can't be beat, the main part of the hostel is average. It took 3 hours for my room to be cleaned and ready for me. There were a lot of bugs in the bathroom, we had to take a shoe in to "debug" before taking a shower. Since my bathroom was adjoining the kitchen, I didn't eat there. There's no way they can be in one area and not the next. When I mentioned it to the staff, there was only a shrugged response. The door to the street doesn't always latch properly at times and anyone can walk in off the street. As well, when someone buzzed to enter, I never seen anyone actually check to see who was there before buzzing them in. There is a sign at the front desk saying do not take cabs on the street due to recent kidnappings, ask at the staff to call you a cab or they will go with you to the street and take a photo of the licence but when I asked the girl at the desk to call, I was told to go to the street, when I pointed out the sign to her she just shrugged and said "just make sure you don't pay more then $5. Why have a sign there if it's not taken seriously?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank terrilain
ricaro, Propietario at Manso Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest: I am sorry about our Front Desk clerk not helping you take a taxi. This issue has been discussed in our regular meetings because we shouldn't make such mistakes. My apologies.

Regarding the buzz, we open the door until 6pm without checking because we are in an extremely safe area of town. After that time we check with the camera, just in case... =)

Regarding the bugs, during the time of your stay there were some "sightings" of bugs, apparently they were getting into the building in the boxes of a supplier of food. We changed the supplier and fumigated throughly the whole building. Problem solved !!

Our kitchen has very hygiene standards. It's so bad that you didn't try our acclaimed food, but I understand your position. I wouldn't have had either, If I had seen bugs in a place =)
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Location is perfect! And, the atmosphere is delightful with wonderful whimsical art and decorations! Service is very good! A little pricey though. Oh, and not for anyone with stair issues. No elevator so you have to be mobile to get to the lobby and rooms.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Key West, Florida, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I made my reservation on-line and after speaking a couple of times to them I booked the room I desired that looked right out onto the Malecon. When i got there late in the afternoon, my room was ready for me and it was just what I expected. A very pleasant room with a balcony overlooking the Malecon. It was a little on the loud side, because it is a city and right on the main road, but you have a great view for people watching. I also am travelling with a dog and they made me feel right at home with her. And just a few blocks away the locals bring their dogs out to play with each other. There is a restaurant in the hotel serving nice vegetarian food. Its not my favorite food but it was tasty. The service was great. Everyone spoke English perfectly. They were very helpful with whatever my needs. They even went out of their way and helped me greatly with bus transportation to Montanita with my dog. I even went out dancing with some of the guys from the hotel and had a wonderful time. All in all it was a great stay at the Manso Boutique Guesthouse. Thanks to every one there. Make your reservation now!!

Room Tip: If you want a nice view of the Malecon, ask for a room up front, preferably with a balcony, but be p...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Scott M
Clayton, California
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I had an 8 hour layover in Guayaquil in between the Galapagos Islands and Miami, on the way to California, and only needed a place for those hours. I was hoping for something middle of the road, so that I could have a nice nap and shower before going back to the airport.
Pros: It's right across the street from the Malecon.
Cons: Pubic hairs in the bed, the bathroom reeked of urine, no elevators.
This should pretty much sum up my experience, but I will elaborate.
I had prepaid $80 (this was after a 15% coupon and applying orbucks) through Orbitz, which is a ton of $ for a hostel. I wish I hadn't prepaid, so that I could've left w/o paying at all.
When I complained of the dirty bathroom, they brought in a fan/deodorizer thing instead of cleaning the bathroom or offering another room. All that did was push the smell into the bedroom. We couldn't possibly think to disrobe in that filthy place and take a shower. The smell got so bad even in the bedroom that my mom started vomiting. I wanted her to lay down to rest but then we found the pubic hair in the bed. We left immediately.
I tried to get even a partial refund and was basically laughed at by the management, b/c I had already told them that I wasn't staying all night. So I paid $80 USD for not only a facility that I could not use whatsoever, but had the added bonus of a sickened mother and humiliation by the management. Orbitz was no help at all. They have offered me a small credit to use for future bookings, but that expires in 1 year and most likely won't get a chance to use it. I will go back to the Palace Hotel next time, even though it costs double.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank freebyrd97
ricaro, Propietario at Manso Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Freebyrd, I am aware of your case because after you left you requested a full refund to Orbitz. That brought the case to my attention because Orbitz called us to transmit your request. After deliberating with my staff, we concluded the case did not deserve a refund because it was not clear that the bad odor in the bathroom was there previously. This is the report of my Front Desk Manager, who was in office that evening:

After they checked in, I personally helped their kid find the light in their bathroom. The bathroom had no bad odor at all. I am sure of that because I am always checking our bathrooms. A while later, they went out without any complain. Then they returned, kindly asked us to arrange a taxi for 9pm, went to their room and after 15 minutes they showed up with the odor complain. For us it was obvious that it was their odor, so we put the ozone deodorizing machine. No more comments until 9pm when they walked down on schedule. No request to change rooms, no requests for refunds, no complains about pubic hairs. The lady only mentioned that her mother was dizzy, so we offered her a tea. I can't see why she says that we laughed at her. That is simply not true."
-- Emiko Morio, Manso Reception Manager, Feb 3, 19:00

The impresion my Front Desk Manager had was that the odor problem was caused during your stay, so she didn't consider it a big issue, or something that deserved cleaning the bathroom.

Had you clearly requested a cleaning of the bathroom, we would have made it. Please don't have any doubt that our first priority is our customer satisfaction (we live of it) and simply there is no reason why we would deny a guest cleaning a bathroom.

Additionally, you never informed anything about pubic hairs in the sheets. And this point needs clarification. What distinguishes a hotel with professional procedures from a cheap hotel is the probability that errors happen. According to our procedures, after a room is cleaned, it goes through a revision process, so in the unlikely case that the housekeeping staff does not change sheets, the verification process will detect it.

In the case the two filters leave an error pass, and a guest receives a room with the sheets of a previous guest, of course we will take action, fix the problem immediately and compensate the guest. We don't usually make mistakes and we like that our guests feel that if errors occur, we take care of them.

In Manso we have a very strong customer satisfaction policy. We take very seriously complains from our guests. Our Front Desk staff is continuously trained on customer satisfaction and in solving problems. The last thing that you will find in Manso is a clerk laughing at a guest's complains.

It would have been more constructive on your end to let us know if we made a mistake so we could fix it, instead of discrediting us with a "Terrible" Rating in TripAdvisor or manipulating the facts to the Orbitz staff.
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I spent almost 6 nights in this hostel. The staff are friendly and helpful and they speak good English. The breakfast, served from 8 to 11am, is very good. It's not the quietest hostel/hotel I've been to, but for sure is one with the best quality/price ratio. Staying in a dorm (2 bunker beds) I spent only $15 per night. The room was cleaned every other day if not every day, the beds are comfy and the bathroom is inside the room.
Definitely a good spot for those who are looking for a cheap place to stay!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo