“Thieving staff”

Ranked #23 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
Utrecht, Nederland
“Thieving staff”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I stayed at this hostal for 2 nights. Whereas I kept my key either on me or at the reception, I had money stolen out of my wallet, from my hotel room. Which was locked. I discovered the theft at the airport, flying to Quito. I am convinced that the owner Jimmy would be as appalled as I was to learn that his staff is stealing from tourists, but informing him by phone from Quito led to nothing. First time experience for me, after 20 years of traveling. And not a good one. I hope that the stealing staff member spent my 80 USD and 60 Euros well.....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Jeannette L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Montreal, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,097 helpful votes
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Good location , good service , rooms are clean , WiFi works well in the corridor but our room facing the street was very noisy !
Breakfast served in a separate restaurant is very good !
Price is o.k. for Guayaquil but we found cheaper hostals nearby where noise level seemed lower

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank belleretraite
Northampton, Royaume-uni
Reviewed 25 February 2013

From booking on the internet, and their choice of photos, it seemed to be OK. But on arrival, the hotel was extremely poorly presented, the photo of the outside on the website did not reflect the downmarket image actually presented. Very dull and claustrophobic inside also. Another very important thing is that although not far from the centre, it is actually in the beginning of a very seedy and dangerous area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tramontana44

Travellers are raving about these Guayaquil hotels

Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

From others reviews I expected a warm, clean and helpful environment but was I ever disappointed!
Everything went alright initially. The rooms were ok for the price, and people were apparently friendly.
Then the real experience started. The bed was hard the pillows harder if that is possible. We chose this place so we could get some rest for the early flight the next day but between the pillows, the mattress and the Mosquitos we slept very little.
That would have all been ok since the price is reasonable, but the night front desk staff dishonesty went way beyond the last straw. When I asked for a taxi to be called for me the next morning to go to the airport at 4am the man at the desk told me it would be done and warned me it would be 8uUS dollars. I was surprised. In Ecuador taxis are very inexpensive. I asked why a fare that would be 2 dollars during the day was 8. He explained that its because the taxis are the registered airport taxis and are secure. I was still skeptical but had heard of dishonest cab drivers and agreed because I had no other option.
The next morning I once again felt uneasy when I saw that the cab was not one of the registered ones, It was clearly a private vehicle. I asked to see the cab registration number and was shushed and ushered into the car.
We arrived at the airport and as I paid the driver I asked why the fare was so expensive. He said that he only got 4 dollars. The rest went to the hotel. I'm not sure who is lying but clearly this is a 'side business' set up by the hotel staff. And though the amount is not considerable, it is a terrible feeling to be lied to and robbed in such a way.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Noticesdetails
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I chose this place based on reviews, but was sorely disappointed. While the staff were friendly, the room was to be avoided. The rock-hard pillow smelt of stale head sweat, and I was kept awake all night by bites. I don't think they were bed bugs, but quite possibly fleas. The aircon was an ancient thing that rattled loudly all night, and the bathroom was as basic as you can get. With no breakfast, this place is not the good deal others have spoken of. Definately not recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank TravellingAussie1
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Wifi was fast and excellent in room. We were able to watch Netflix, which was great, as Guayaquil didn't have as much to offer as we'd hoped. Lounges to hang out in if that's your thing. Stayed in a matrimonial for $35 a night. Room one of the nicer ones we've stayed in on our trip, though certainly more expensive than other cities. Guayaquil didn't seem to have many cheap options, this was within walking distance of the malecon, though not as close as the more expensive hotels. Area felt pretty safe. Easy access to the big public bus. Room was pretty quiet. Security was good and people working there were friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple