“Somewhat disappointing”

Ranked #36 of 447 Restaurants in Guayaquil
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Latin, Ecuadorean
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“Somewhat disappointing”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I think the level of satisfaction here is definitely linked to what you order. My dish of a sort of fried-rice covered with cheese sauce was a disappointment, but my husband's dish of thinly sliced beef in gravy was excellent. Any atmosphere there might have been was disrupted by the small child of one of the staff running around and yelling. It's within walking distance of the Courtyard-Marriott, but, even so, I don't think we'd go back even if we were at the Marriott again.

Visited January 2014

New York City, New York
“Excellent traditional Ecuadorian food in a great location”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We tried Cocolon based on a recommendation from the hotel we stayed at. We were looking for traditional Ecuadorian food and Cocolon did not disappoint. A casual laid back atmosphere, you do not need pants to dine here, and a great selection of local and South American beer in a great location, near the main catherdral (A must see provincial church) and a block away from Malecon 2000.

The different cerviches on the menu are all GREAT. I highly recommend any of them and suggest you try the mixed seafood cerviche. Cerviche is a traditional Ecuadorian dish and they do it great here. We tried a few and they all exceeded expectations. There is a section on the menu for traditional Ecuadorian dishes and I highly recmemmend any of them if traditional food is what you are looking for. I have travelled throughout Ecuador and the menu here has a great selection of local dishes. Be bold, order a few and try them all...

The only reason I did not give Cocolon 5 stars was becasue the service, while excellent, was a little slow. However, if a laid back place to unwind, have a beer and eat some great local dishes is what your looking for Cocolon is for you in downtown Guayaquil. After dinner go for a walk along the waterfront at Malecon 2000. You'll be glad you did.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Frank C
Quito
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I visited this place today at plaza San Francisco. Potato Locro had no potatoes at all and served cold, no dishes were served for eating fried rice and white salsa in the beginning (also, banana chips were cheesy, not crispy). After waiting for ages, all the food was served all together at the same time, so the 2 person little table couldn't hold all the dishes. Fishy smelly restrooms... Terrible service so I left no tip, but maybe they don't care anyway... Wouldn't come back ever. For Typical Ecuadorean food I recommend you Grand Hotel Guayaquil cafeteria, which is also less expensive.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Francisco G
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“You Get Your Money's Worth Here!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A receptionist in the hostel in which my boyfriend and I were staying in Guayaquil highly recommended that we check out Cocolon, especially if we wanted to sample traditional Ecuadorian food. So that's exactly what we did: even though it seemed to be super busy, we were given a comfortable table for two upstairs. I ordered pineapple juice, and it was both huge and very tasty. My boyfriend ordered a traditional Ecuadorian soup, while I went ahead and ordered "La Pechugona," which is chicken smothered with a delicious creamy sauce, served on a bed of rice. When I received my order, I couldn't believe how huge it was. So, if you're going to Cocolon anytime soon and this dish sounds appetizing to you, just know that it can be eaten by two people. Overall, the general atmosphere of the place was appealing; there were many families, friends, and groups of co-workers enjoying food and libations. Like my title says, you definitely get your money's worth, so stop by and give this place a chance because I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
“Delicious food and good service”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I like many of the dishes they offer here. I have gone many times and my favorites are locro de papa, sango de camaron and fritada. The smoothies are also really good. Prices are regular and the decoration of the place is really ecuadorian style

• Visited June 2013