“building site....noisy”

Funky Monkey Hostal
London, United Kingdom
“building site....noisy”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Only stayed one night after a long bus ride. After being shown to our cramped room we were kept awake by the loud music of the staff. The following morning we showered and left briefly for breakfast. When we came back we walked into a building site; the shower room wall knocked down and rubble in our bedroom! Checked out early, preferring to sit at the bus station and get away from all the noise. Absolute zero customer service. Additionally, the hostel is located down a dark side street and has no clear sign...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

If you are planing to stay for a long time I recommend another hostel, but for a few day is good. Good location near the airport if you are traveling, no stress, and cheap. Is a nice small hostel that don't make troubles for locations.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We selected this hostal for its location. It is very close to the airport and to the main bus terminal, Terminal Terreste. We were in Guayaquil for one night to connect with an internation bus to Peru and stayed here. The hostal is also one short block from a major indoor mall. No complaints, it was pretty much as advertised. The staff was welcoming and friendly. The room was OK, clean with a fan. There is a kitchen for guest use.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank specialklc
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My opinion is good! The room was clean, with cool air, and I passed few days here for visiting the city. I recommended it for the price and the practicity of the place. Ty funky monkey hostal! I recommended it for the place near the airport, terminal bus and the proximity of mall and restaurants

Room Tip: The dorm has a good size for rest
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Defrances P
Tonyc32
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed in the Funky Monkey for three nights.

Overall....it was a pretty bad and uncomfortable experience. Firstly the noise. I've stayed in all types of hostels including the wild party hostels but this was the noisiest hostel I had ever stayed at. I took to wearing ear plugs in the day just to block some of it out for a few hours.

I had read reviews from many months go talking about the noise and I had hoped this was just a passing event and not the norm...but it's regular.

I was in the only (I think) private room which is in the garden and it was very loud. A lot of the noise is caused by the staff and their friends. I think there are 4 staff members living there, often outnumbering the guests.

- There is always a TV on in the reception / kitchen

- There is always talking between the staff, often across the garden.

- The general area is very loud. Car alarms, loud cars, a cockerel that crows all day and night, not just at dawn.

- The double room (mine) has poor sound insultation nd is right in the middle of the garden, near the pool. So people would be stood right next to the windows talking. It was like they were in the room.

- The managers/owners always seemed to have friends around, sometimes large groups. My friend was in the dorms, sometimes these guests would decide to go and sleep in the dorms overnight.....and then snore all night.

Basically it didn't feel like a hostel. It felt like someones home and I was living in the garden.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the private room. It's in the middle of everything and loud.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tonyc32

Travellers are raving about these Guayaquil hotels

Mal Pais, Costa Rica
Reviewed 14 May 2013

i chose this hostal because it was the cheapest and nearest to the airport. and in these categories the funky monkey wins. I cant believe the taxi found it, there was no sign outside, just a sticker on the door. when a group of three of us (girls) walked in, the owner and his friends were drinking and told us we could stay (for a more expensive price listed online) in one of the two uncleaned rooms without a door. I was not happy with the accommodation or with the behavior of the owner and his friends who slept over. I would not recommend this hostal for a girl.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tmoney004
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Being a first time, solo female traveler, i was a bit worried arriving there at midnight but jorgan, who was running this place was awsome and super friendly. I had to catch a flight to cuenca the following morning and he was nice enough to accompany me to the airport.

• Stayed September 2012