“First time here . . . but not the last!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil

Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil
Ranked #4 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
Oeiras, Portugal
“First time here . . . but not the last!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Bar and room service are very expensive. Exceptionally nice hotel. Adjoining bridge takes you to a mall where there are other restaurants. Nice neighborhood. $5 taxi from GYE airport. Very close to airport. Great bag full of shampoo, etc. along with a great beautiful robe in the room. Fairly modern. Fantastic view from room #509. Fresh flowers were in the room. Free shuttle back to the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sonesta H, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear guest

We are grateful for having the time to let us your pleasant comments. It is very impotant for us to know how was your stay with us. Your evaluation will help us to continue providing you a high service that our guests deserves. We hope to see you soon. If you have any question, suggestion or additional requests, pleas contact us, we will be happy to assist you.

Santiago Galárraga C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Exceptional service, convenient to airport with shuttle service, nice clean and comfortable hotel. We arrived late to find our reservations had not been made by our tour company, the staff did everything but back flips to get us a room, contact our agency, get us our vouchers for the remainder of our trip, happily help us into the next day until it was all sorted out…true gems….we could have never gotten it straight without their perseverance. The entire experience at the hotel truly made our trip, what could have been not so pleasant ended up being more than a good experience. We slept well on the 4th floor and didn't notice any noise even though close to the airport. The breakfast was good, we stayed there again on our return having dinner in the restaurant, it was excellent. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mi-Dan20
Dear guest

We are very happy for having the time to let us your pleasant comments. It is very impotant for us to know how was your stay with us. Your evaluation will help us to continue providing you a high service that our guests deserves.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

5 minutes from Guayaquil Intl airport at best ...

Staff courteous and gracious upon arrival, checkin efficient and pleasant. Bellman William got us situated nicely and made sure we knew about the room (a/c, safe) and the hotel.

We chose to dine in and ordered room service which was good ... food prepared nicely just a liitle different preparations than we are used to, but that is to be expected

Room was very nice, clean, quiet, A/C worked fine, good wifi connection, plenty of TV if you need it. King bed was comfortable, good pillows and linens. Bathroom was also clean and nicely appointed, shower was great, good pressure and temp.

The breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant was quite good with lots of options for all eating preferences, meat, eggs, fruit,breads, good coffee.

Checkout was also great.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank postman3

General Manager.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Brand new hotel in very convienent (although not pretty)location. Staff extremely nice and willing to help.
A few major flaws that completely ruin what would be a very nice hotel:
- the noise! One side of the hotel is right on top of generators that make an incredible amount of noise 24 hrs. Unforvigable, especially for those (like me) with very light sleep.
- everything you request on the phone, you have to ask twice. This happened several times, and includes wake up calls (when you don't have the chance to ask twice; if I left it up to the hotel I would have missed my flight)
- room was smelly!
- free internet was a disaster.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Great service, installations and location. The swimming pool is small but still OK if no so many people around

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Spent 9 weeks here, good friendly staff.
Food good, rooms clean and spaceous.
Good security and located next to mall do sol with food court and separate high end restaurants.
Pool small.
Located next to airport with view of runway but noise level very low.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest

We are very happy of recieve your comment. You were our guest of long stay and we apreciate you in all this time.

We read all your comments that you let us and we pledge that we going to improve.

General Manager.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I was only in Guayaquil for a night, but this was my splurge hotel because I wanted to be able to sleep after a day of air travel and before I hit the 4 hour bus to Cuenca the next day. So, quiet AC was key! The Sonesta is new, and I figured the AC units would be newer and quieter and there would be no musty smell that hotels in the tropics tend to have. This theory turned out to be correct.

The service was impeccable. I was greated by name and quickly issued a key to my room. I didnt have my Sonesta membership number, but the woman at the front desk was able to track it down and insured my stay was credited to my number.

The room was clean and new. It looked well designed, but some cheap construction finishes were a little obvious. The panel above my head was rough edged particle-board, which is fine but it could have been finished more smoothly. Again, this is a picky little thing that I probably wouldnt have noticed if I wasnt looking up at it. Also, the counter in the bathroom was a little too long, and I scratched myself on a rough edge every time I sat down or got up from the toilet.

The breakfast buffet was substantial and if I wasnt about to get on a bus for 4 hours (that I heard could be a curvy ride around mountains), I would have probably eaten more. I wish I had known there was an airport shuttle - or maybe there wasn't. When I booked there wasn't one according to the site and the chain's reservation line, but when I got a survey email from the hotel - it asked about the shuttle, so it was possibly added after I inquired about it.

Airport noise was minimal despite the proximity. I think I heard 1 plane take off in the entire time I was there.

Room Tip: the hotel is shaped like an oval with 2 pointy ends- I had a room in the point of the oval (609 or 6...