“Safe and Comfortable in Guayaquil”

Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
Dublin Ireland
“Safe and Comfortable in Guayaquil”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on way to Guayaquil. Was picked up at airport by the shuttle which was great. Hotel only a few minutes away.
Room was nice and comfortable. Bathroom was clean and spacious but only had a shower no bath which would have been perfect after a long flight.
There was a hair straighter which was a nice touch. Unfortunately we were woken up the first two nights with loud music coming from the outdoor bar. They did warn us in advance and offered one free drink. We were very tired and we're able to sleep in but it's not ideal for someone with an early start. So ask for a room out of earshot.
The pool area was small but nice. But the pool itself was such a let down. The water was extremely warm. Not what you need on a hot day.
Staff we're very helpful and nice.
The best part about staying here was that it was attached to mall del sol. Great for cinema and restaurants.

Room Tip: If the outdoor is open get a room at back of hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pinkie30
Sonesta H, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your latest experience with us. Your opinion certainly assist us through our continuously process of improvement.

Allow me to extend our apologies on behalf of our entire team for the inconvenience with the noise of an event on the hotel terrace. We appeal to your understanding and tolerance. At any moment, our intention was to bother you.

Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil is always at your service. We are looking forward to see you soon.

If you have any question, suggestion or additional request, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jorge Gutiérrez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Atlanta
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have stayed at several different hotels in the Guayaquil airport area (M. Ctyd, Sheraton, Hyatt) and while they were all very good, the Sonesta was something special. Their customer service was over the top, the room spacious, well-appointed and clean, toiletries more than expected (additional items and more generous portions - flat irons, etc...) and the hotel was very secure! It is very well located near the mall and the airport. It is our new choice for Guayaquil whether overnight before an early morning flight or several days for shopping and golf!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MerriAtlanta
Dear Guest,

I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the service you received. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

Our team read your appreciation and they feel very happy having given you an unforgettable experience.

On behalf of our team, thank you very much.

Best regards,

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a stop-over in Guayaquil. We arrived late at night (around 1:00am) and the staff was so very nice and accommodating. I called them in advance to let them know we would be arriving late, and they graciously offered to pick us up from the airport for free. They provided us with a crib for our baby and gave us excellent service. The room was very nice, with a flat screen TV, very comfortable bed and nice shower in the bathroom. I guess my only complaint is the food was not so great at breakfast...and it was a bit a of a pricey breakfast...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sonesta H, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us concerning your recent stay at our Hotel. Your valuable comments about our services and your kind suggestions will help us to motivate us to keep providing the service that our guests deserve.

We are very distressed that breakfast has not exceeded expectations, we really appreciate your percepction, we will take the corrective measures to improve it.

If you have any questions, suggestions or additional requests please contact us, we will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a great hotel for a short layover close to the airport. I stayed for one night on my way to Galapagos. I was greeted at the terminal by the courtesy van driver that drove me immediately to the property. Nice friendly front desk, welcome chilled fruit punch. Everyone was friendly, remarkably friendly and welcoming.
The room is OK, rather on the small size sterile looking and equipped with a small desk, a 32"TV that feels also small… for the price I paid I would expect better quality accommodations, higher quality furniture, I disliked the board over the bed with the sharp edges. I like the bathroom better , nice finishes and great shower. I must say I has a good night sleep, the A/C works well, internet is fast… If it's priced right I will definitely stay here again. I have been looking for rates for the near future and at $160 a night plus 22% taxes I find it overpriced…
Loved the location is right on a mall so there is plenty of non hotel food available and last minute shopping in case one needs something. I enjoyed the breakfast, I think they should include it in price when one is paying close to $140.00 a night taxes included. All and all, good airport hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Sonesta H, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share us your comments regarding on your latest stay with us.

Your detailed opinion of room´s phisical aspects certainly assists us on our continuously process of service and product improvement, ¡thank you for participate on it!

Our rates are dynamics, depends of the date or city events, if you need more information about promotions please do not hesitate to contact us.

We invite you to stay very soon at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, it will be a pleasure to assist you for any special requirement needed.

Always at your service.

Best regards

Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is my third time in the hotel. I honestly thought it was the best hotel in town as I tried almost all the rest. Several flaws this time:

1. I had 3 or 4 (or more?) crickets in my room during my 2-night stay. The first night 2 of them were eliminated by the hotel staff and they offered my and my family to move to an executive suite in a higher floor. When I called to find out about the difference of this room and the new one they told me, "they are the same room, but in a higher floor". As the explanation was so vague and the offer so unappealing, we decided to stay in the room, thinking that crickets wouldn't appear in a second night. But they did. 2 horrible nights.

The moment we checked out they told me: "we don't know how they enter the rooms", "the just come from nowhere", "they are outside, and your room had a window problem". Several versions for the same problem. At the end we found out that the staff lied to us, and they found another cricket the second day. We know for some people this wouldn't be an issue, but we have a 6-month daughter, and picturing a nasty cricket in her cradle wasn't pleasant at all. It is January and Guayaquil is infested with crickets, but some friends were in the room next to ours and they didn't had this issue.

In the area next to the lobby, there was a flower vase outside that had at least 15-20 crickets all day. Again, maybe there are too many crickets, but the place looked terrible.

2. I asked for a cradle two weeks in advance using Booking.com's messaging feature. My wife called the day before our arrival to make sure we were going to have it with us. The moment we checked in they just found out (from us) that we needed a cradle. They told me they didn't know we asked for it. Communication issues.

3. Breakfast used to be much richer in variety of plates, several ceviches and typical dishes. Now it only had chicken with rice and fish ceviche, plus fruit, cereal and eggs. I felt paying US$17 for that was too much. Maybe I had too much expectations.

On the good side:

- Friendly staff
- Agua de horchata and the pineapple infusion are excellent
- Valet parking - no additional cost
- Good location - nearby the airport, a drug store and Mall del Sol
- Nice pool area - cold water??

For the price they charged me, I wouldn't recommend it

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not directly in the corner (408), and ask for higher rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sonesta H, General Manager at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments and truly apologize for all the inconveniences that you had in our property, I would like to confirm to you that right now we are taking the right measures so we do not disturb our guest on the next crickets season due our principal goal is that you have a really pleasant stay in our hotel.

We really hope to have an opportunity to serve you on a nearby future and demonstrate you that we have fixed our past mistakes.

On behalf of our team, thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Rye, New York, Usa
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed one night as a stopover from New York to Galapagos. lt was a short cab ride from the airport. Shuttle is available but you need to call from the airport to get one. From hotel to airport, there are scheduled services. The hotel is a part of comercial complex that has a lot of stores and restaurants. Room was clean and service was good. It was a perfect choice for us just to kill several hours nicely.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Reservations are not respected by Sonesta. I booked a room, paid on-line and when I arrived I was told that no rooms were available. The best they could do was to book a room at the Holiday Inn at an extravagent rate.
You also need to speak fluent spanish, The front desk staff does not speak a word of english or any language other than spanish for that matter.
My advice: do not make a reservation at the Sonesta, unless you like unpleasant surprises.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the onesta/ Übernachten Sie nicht im Hotel Sonesta
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sonesta H, Gerente at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for preferring Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil. Through these lines I would like to apologize for the inconvenient occurred at check in time.

We are formally recognizing that this has been an unfortunate mistake generated by a guest who decided to extend his stay, which caused the overbooking. We want to clarify that the credit card number you gave in at the reservation moment was only to make the reservation, not any payment.

Allow me to extend our apologies on behalf of our entire team. We appeal to your understanding and tolerance. At any moment, during the decisions that were made, our intention was to fail the trust you give us by choosing to stay at Sonesta Hotel Guayaquil.

Being our first value, High Importance to our Guest, it is our duty to make the corrective measures now, so that in future situations this does not occur again.

Our best Regards,