“on the way to Galapagos Islands”

Sheraton Guayaquil Hotel
Ranked #4 of 62 Hotels in Guayaquil
Reviewed 5 September 2013

great location close to airport, very safe, clean and attentive staff. close to the shopping and square, we ate at the hotel restaurant late at night, even though the staff had just closed the kitchen.
the security was efficient and strong in this city that is know for targeting tourists. I have stayed here twice now and the transition from Miami to Galapagos, which requires a stop over in either Guayaquil or Quito, is fairly seamless. be sure to request a non-smoking room when you book your room and always ask for room upgrade when you check in, they can upgrade to a suite room if it is available.

Room Tip: facing the mall is nice view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cwarecoxnet
Maria Fernanda C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sheraton Guayaquil Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your Sheraton Experience. Your comments are very important to us because is a way to know our guest appreciation, so we can improve our service. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to contact us. It would be our pleasure to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Sheraton Guayaquil

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Its a Sheraton, but certainly one of the better ones I have stayed in. The location is just 5minutes by car from the airport. The experience already started very nice when we arrived, as we had a very nice driver waiting for us at the airport, offering bottled water in the shuttle bus and giving us tips for our stay. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, as you would expect from a Sheraton. Staff was very friendly and room service was discrete. The computer terminals and internet access was fast and efficient. Our stay was rounded off when we were able to leave one of our suitcases with stuff we didn't need at the hotel for a week, while were travelling to the Galapagos. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TS_Cologne
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Sheraton is pretty formulaic - rarely are they exciting or reflect anything of the local culture, architecture etc. This one is no exception. Rooms are a tad tired and comfortably but with conservative decor.

The bed is very comfortable, pillows excellent. My room was also spacious with desk, sitting chairs etc.

I experienced great and friendly service from every staff member I encountered. Food again was very Sheraton - good but not great and the menu did at least feature some Ecuadorian food. Recommend the shrimp in coconut it was excellent.

The hotel is located in the northern part of Guayquil, opposite a shopping mall which is accessed by a pedestrian bridge to get you safely over the very busy road. Only minutes from the airport - and the pickup was very efficient and fast - after 30 + hours travelling, this was more than welsome!

I took a driver/car from the hotel for $10 per hour. We went to the Malecon, Cerro Santa Ana and Las Penas. Whilst the driver did not speak English, he was very nice and walked with me wherever I went, keeping an eye on me. As a lone female in a city with a bad reputation for violence, I felt very safe.

I'll definitely return to the Sheraton when next in Guayaquil.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view as these are the quiet rooms - away from the major road that passes...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SmartTraveller
Reviewed 25 July 2013

It was 10pm and we were so tired! Had a reservation but when we got to the hotel they said that another guest had decided to stay so they has no room available for us. I think a first class hotel should honor the reservations they had confirmed! And we had to catch another flight at six am!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rowena B
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is the best hotel I slept in Guayaquil until now. Rooms are not small if you chose the right one during reservation. My room was comfortable, food during breakfast and lunch buffets at the restaurant was of good quality, room service offered many options. The staff are very friendly and professional. The equipment at the gym, however, should be updated. I would not mind to return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you do not like noise, you should avoid rooms facing the motorway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I was ohhh soo tired and grumpy when I arrived here at 5 am! The room was not ready as there was no maid to clean it so the boyfriend and I parked ourselves onto the couch for about 3 hours. The staff very nicely let us check in at 8 am and we were whisked off to a SPG preferred guest room.

The room was very basic, not luxury by any means but also not lacking in anything. I had free Wifi and that made me smile.

The hotel overall is in need of some love – it was very basic albeit clean. We were only here for one night on route to the Galapagos so it worked for us. I used points and it’s about 10 minutes from the airport which was a huge selling point.

The service here was truly what made the stay- the staff was very friendly and accommodating. They even sent a complimentary fruit plate up to our room. The passion fruits were delish delish!

Tips:
We “hired” a taxi from the hotel and for $10 an hour, the driver stayed with us for a few hours, taking us from one sight to another. We never felt unsafe but it was nice to do things at our own pace and know we had someone taking us around.

Don’t take restaurants recommendations from the concierge! They recommended a place for lunch that was a very unfortunate experience.

Do go to La Taberna Libanesa. It’s an authentic Lebanese restaurant run by an older Lebanese couple. We loved them. And the restaurant. And the food. The complex that houses the restaurant is very lively as it has a few restaurants and a bar/club. It was definitely happening the night we were there. And by happening I mean lots of young 20 something’s dressed up and ready to party. Took us back a decade or so. It was refreshing.

Overall, we enjoyed our one evening here and would stay here again with points.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoxxyGirl
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is first class, the king bed was so comfortable and the pillows were like clouds.....the room was quiet, large, great access to wifi and internet.....the people were very friendly and the lounge had great music.....our breakfast included almost anything you could think of on a buffet and you could order pancakes, omelets and all the fruit, juice and so much more.....I would go back in a heart beat.....it had a nice pool but alas we were there to late......my Daughter works for the airlines and it is one of her favorite hotels especially the beds and the pillows......hospitality and attention to details was supreme.

Room Tip: The room on the pool side was very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple