“Great Hotel, not so the location”

Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil
Ranked #5 of 62 Hotels in Guayaquil
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Oro Verde hotel is a grand old building with very nice rooms, and it has a good restaurant as well. Very nice bathrooms, too.

If you're inclined to walk around the neighborhood, however, it's not so good. I didn't feel threatened or at risk, it's just not a very interesting part of the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Cristina B,

thank you very much for your kind review and sharing it with the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry you did not find your way to some of the beautiful parks and museums within walking distance of the hotel. We will be glad to show you around should you visit us again.

Vasco v. Baselli

Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed 17 May 2014

In planning our trip to the Galapagos islands, our travel company wisely recommended a 2-night-stay in Guayaquil on the way and a 1-night stay on the way back to virtually eliminate any chance of having a really big trip ruined by flight delays, missed connections or cancellations. They also offered a very well-priced package that included all airport transfers to and from the hotel, a 3-hour guided tour (which was very nice), and all 3 nights of hotel stay. We absolutely recommend doing this as it made the whole trip hassle free. The guides stay with you as you check in and out of hotel and flights – which is particularly helpful if there is a language barrier. And, on our first night, we were especially pleased with the hotel they’d included in the package – the Oro Verde Hotel. This hotel was one of the grand hotels of Guayaquil in its early days and it is now a member of the usually reliable “Leading Hotels of the World” network. And, if we’d written this review after the first night – it was a toss-up between 4 stars and 5. The lobby is beautiful and spacious. The in-hotel restaurant and bar is excellent. There is a 24-hour business center without charge, excellent in-room Wi-Fi/Internet Access without charge, vouchers for free welcome drinks in the bar, spacious comfortable rooms, fully upgraded and spacious bathrooms, hair dryers, bathrobes, in-room safes, full-cable color TV including English and Spanish programming, a refridgerator with 6 soft beverages provided at no charge, free bottled water in the bathrooms, a lovely courtyard pool, a fitness room, an outside deck/patio, a sumptuous free breakfast buffet and very gracious service by all staff members, almost all of whom are bi-lingual. While all of that was way beyond expectation – the only thing I really want after a long day of travel or a long, sweaty stay in the Galapagos is a reasonably comfortable bed and a nice hot shower. But on the mid-morning we left the hotel to catch our plane to the Galapagos there was no hot water. None. And, of course, there was nothing they could do about it in the timeframe we needed before departure (nor was their level of concern particularly high). In retrospect, I suppose I could have demanded access to a shower somewhere else in the hotel, but I just assumed that if we didn’t have hot water, no one did. Okay – so we’d survive one day without a hot shower. It happens, right? But fast forward 8 days to our 1-night stay on the way back from the Galapagos when we were at our maximum grubbinesss. We arrived, exhausted from our trip at about 4 PM and had to be up at 4 AM the next morning to head for the airport. We had barely enough energy to grab a quick (and again delicious) bite downstairs and then head to bed. I dreamt all night about the long hot shower and hair-washing that would make a 4 AM wake-up call all worthwhile. Hop in the shower and, AGAIN, NO HOT WATER. None. I’d say it max’d out at room temperature. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice – you don’t get another chance. Without any time to allow anything constructive to be done about it, I reported the problem to the desk upon check-out. The receptionist’s comment? “Really. That is very rare.” No offer of concession. No offer to speak to a manager. Just a look of surprise and a rather weak apology. I assure you I know how to turn the hot water on – as I did just that on the first night of our first stay. So -- sorry – but NO HOT WATER TWO TIMES IN TWO STAYS A WEEK A PART is not “rare” to me! This is not some shanty in a developing country. This is a first class hotel in the most populace city in Ecuador. Hot water doesn’t seem a lot to ask. And for that reason (to coin a phrase you Shark Tank fans will know well) . . . I’m out. Failing some sort of appropriate explanation and/or apology from management, I will definitely suggest to my tour company that they take Oro Verde off of their list for land packages. That, or warn guests they may have to use the free in-room coffee maker to prepare water to bathe in!

1  Thank canalcruiser
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Canalcruiser,

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of our shortcomings during your stay. I truly regret not only that we were not able to resolve the matter in an adequate and timely manner, but even worse, were not able to resolve the matter for your return stay. I assure and personally guarantee you the issue has been resolved.

I would be very grateful if you would be as kind as to contact me directly at my e-mail vbaselli@oroverdehotels.com so I personally address you valid observations.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Do to an airline schedule change my wife and I were required to stay a night in Guayaquil and booked a room at Hotel Oro Verde. Since we did not have time to do our normal research we were not sure what to expect. I am please to say that our experience was wonderful. The property is clean, the rooms are very comfortable and the staff provided superior service.

Additionally, it has a good city location and they provide airport pickup.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Lucierochon1,

I am sorry to hear you had a delay in your return flight but have to say I am also happy to hear that that gave you the opportunity to stay with us and thank you for your sharing your kind review with the TripAdvisor community.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were greeted in the beautiful large foyer and admirably assisted to check in. The staff were wonderful and we had a room in the wing to the right of reception (on our first visit). It was a suite with a lounge and large bathroom- a kitchenette etc- space to burn. It is done in modern style, but it is well DONE! We had the best of everything and enjoyed it immensely. Only one other hotel matching it would be the Taj Palace in Dehli. Das Cataratas was as good but in a different style. The two beds were luxuriant and we had an extremely good night's sleep-until early morning when the disco (or wedding celebrations began very loud). A fantastic experience spoilt by the loud noise, so we returned a week later and had a standard room in the other section , but it was also of a very high standard. The staff were extremely helpful in pointing out the local specialities and drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite to the right of reception- they are fantastic as long a a disco or wedding aren'...

Dear Lawrence D,

Thank you for sharing your kind review with the TripAdvisor community and I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the design of our recently refurbished Leading Suites and Deluxe Rooms.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

we were here briefly on a stop over from the Galapagos to Cuzco. the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms and service were excellent. We enjoyed a couple of drinks at the bar and had a casual dinner in the patio restaurant. The food and service were good. The location is convenient for the airport and to walk to the Waterfront walkway.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear JPWRDB,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at the Oro Verde and we hope you had a wonderful time in Ecuador.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

After two long flights (LA-Miami & Miami-Guayaquil, the Oro Verde provided a welcoming atmosphere for a tired traveler. We were greeted warmly by the front desk, and quickly shown to a well-appointed room on the 4th floor. The king bed was firm and comfortable. And we easily fell asleep. Breakfast in the morning was buffet-style with an enormous selection of foods to choose from - and best of all, it was free. The hotel is ideally located, particularly if you want to stroll along the Malecon Dos Mil (I recommend it). When we returned in the afternoon, we refreshed in the hotel's swimming pool, napped and then had an excellent dinner in the hotel's upscale restaurant - Le Gourmet. We were off to the Galapagos the next morning. I would certainly stay at the Oro Verde the next time I visited Guayaquil.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear James L,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Oro Verde with the TripAdvisor community. It is always very rewarding to read about our guests experiences and I am truly happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hoping that you enjoyed your visit to the Enchanted Islands and returned well to Los Angeles we look forward to welcoming you back to Ecuador and Guayaquil in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is great. The staff are helpful and the rooms were very very nice. The location is in a rough area so you really can't venture out too far by yourself, especially at night. There is security around the hotel so itself is very safe. A cab fare is only $4 and can take you almost any where for that price. The hotel is 10-15 mins from the Airport which is nice and easy to get to. The bakery in the hotel is awesome and very inexpensive. The food is very good in all the restaurants within the hotel itself.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear 154919Michaelt29,

Thank you for your review and we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our homemade breads and pastry for which we are well renowned in Guayaquil.