“Great hotel at a great price”

Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil
Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Guayaquil
Newbury, Massachusetts
“Great hotel at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Oro Verde for one night, a stopping off point on my way from Quito to the Galapagos. The booking was part of my overall package (actually added on to facilitate plane connections) and the additional cost for the single night was ridiculously low. Although the online presentation looked very nice, I was still wondering what it would actually be like at that price. Surprisingly it far exceeded expectations. Great and friendly service, clean, a marvelous room, outstanding included breakfast, the whole nine yards. Friends used the pool and spa and raved about both. And it's only a short $5.00 cab ride (tip included) from the airport. I would definitely stay here if ever back in Quayaquil. They also give you a voucher for a welcoming cocktail, glass of wine or beer. However, on Sunday (when we stayed) there is no alcohol served in the country, apparently by the president's decree. Oh well, can't have everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Vasco_v_Baselli, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate the precious time taken to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay at Oro Verde Hotel in Guayaquil and that you enjoyed our rooms and service. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and your nice words will be shared with our team.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

we stayed here for the night after returning from the Galapagos. Hotel appears to be very new. everything is extremely clean and well maintained. excellent health club facilities. buffet breakfast is extensive and well prepared.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cjmnyc ,

Thank you very much for posting your review of your stay in June. It is an honor to receive your nice comments on our hotel. Looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future upon your next visit to Guayaquil.

Guest Relations Manager
Hoosierdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you find yourself in Guayaquil, Ecuador, for any length of time, the Oro Verde is a great hotel with truly top-notch customer service. Guayaquil isn't a great cultural mecca and it doesn't have loads of natural beauty. But it is a large city with a huge amount of business activity AND it is a very convenient jumping-off point if you're headed to the Galapagos Islands, and that's why we were there. The hotel had a shuttle with a greeter waiting for us when we arrived; the same shuttle/greeter were still on duty at midnight when my daughter arrived from Chile at around 11 PM. Guayaquil at night can seem a bit dicey, but the Oro Verde is an oasis of civility and safety. The hotel is clean and beautiful; it has three restaurants (including El Patio, which has truly the world's best breakfast buffet), a nice bar, a great fitness/workout facility, a lovely, quiet, sheltered pool area, and excellent wifi throughout the facility. At least one shuttle van is outfitted with mobile wifi. The locals clearly know it as a go-to spot; two of the three nights we were there during our trip, high-end weddings were being held in the lovely Cuenca Room and outdoor terrace. The hotel is a short trip from the airport, and they shuttles will get you there in plenty of time for your flights. We were very happy with our stay at this place. Also, we didn't use the massage services, but two of the people on our Galapagos trip had 10 hours between flights and had booked massages. They said the massages were excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DlovesJ
Dear Dloves J,

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay at Oro Verde Hotel in Guayaquil and that you enjoyed our services. Your motivating feedback will be shared with all our staff, as nothing makes us happier than knowing that we pleased our guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was so impressed with this hotel locationwise, it's in the city center walking distance to restaurants, shops, banks. Hotel has a huge and nice lobby with 3 decent size elevators which is a major plus ! Rooms are decent size, clean, has small fridge which has complimentary drinks including bottled water. Bathroom has good size, clean, and functioning well. Free Wi-Fi in the room and all areas. Hotel has a bar and restaurant. We had one complimentary drink in the bar which is very nice of them. Breakfast is fantastic ! One of the best breakfast I ever had ! So many choices to choose from and each taste delicious including Ceviche and other traditional Ecuadorian cusine. I feel like having lunch or dinner buffet for breakfast. Everything tastes so good. The dining staff were very efficient, courteous and attentive to your needs. Overall hotel staff are very friendly and service oriented. We had a very pleasant stay in the hotel and will stay again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RPRF
Vasco_v_Baselli, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the site for us following your stay and I am thrilled to hear that you thought staying at Oro Verde Hotel was priceless.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed breakfast and thought it was fantastic and I am also delighted that you had a pleasant stay. It is so reassuring to hear that you found our staff to be efficient, courteous and attentive.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Best wishes,

Moscow, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Oro Verde hotel is a grand old building with very nice rooms, and it has a good restaurant as well. Very nice bathrooms, too.

If you're inclined to walk around the neighborhood, however, it's not so good. I didn't feel threatened or at risk, it's just not a very interesting part of the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Cristina B,

thank you very much for your kind review and sharing it with the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry you did not find your way to some of the beautiful parks and museums within walking distance of the hotel. We will be glad to show you around should you visit us again.

California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

In planning our trip to the Galapagos islands, our travel company wisely recommended a 2-night-stay in Guayaquil on the way and a 1-night stay on the way back to virtually eliminate any chance of having a really big trip ruined by flight delays, missed connections or cancellations. They also offered a very well-priced package that included all airport transfers to and from the hotel, a 3-hour guided tour (which was very nice), and all 3 nights of hotel stay. We absolutely recommend doing this as it made the whole trip hassle free. The guides stay with you as you check in and out of hotel and flights – which is particularly helpful if there is a language barrier. And, on our first night, we were especially pleased with the hotel they’d included in the package – the Oro Verde Hotel. This hotel was one of the grand hotels of Guayaquil in its early days and it is now a member of the usually reliable “Leading Hotels of the World” network. And, if we’d written this review after the first night – it was a toss-up between 4 stars and 5. The lobby is beautiful and spacious. The in-hotel restaurant and bar is excellent. There is a 24-hour business center without charge, excellent in-room Wi-Fi/Internet Access without charge, vouchers for free welcome drinks in the bar, spacious comfortable rooms, fully upgraded and spacious bathrooms, hair dryers, bathrobes, in-room safes, full-cable color TV including English and Spanish programming, a refridgerator with 6 soft beverages provided at no charge, free bottled water in the bathrooms, a lovely courtyard pool, a fitness room, an outside deck/patio, a sumptuous free breakfast buffet and very gracious service by all staff members, almost all of whom are bi-lingual. While all of that was way beyond expectation – the only thing I really want after a long day of travel or a long, sweaty stay in the Galapagos is a reasonably comfortable bed and a nice hot shower. But on the mid-morning we left the hotel to catch our plane to the Galapagos there was no hot water. None. And, of course, there was nothing they could do about it in the timeframe we needed before departure (nor was their level of concern particularly high). In retrospect, I suppose I could have demanded access to a shower somewhere else in the hotel, but I just assumed that if we didn’t have hot water, no one did. Okay – so we’d survive one day without a hot shower. It happens, right? But fast forward 8 days to our 1-night stay on the way back from the Galapagos when we were at our maximum grubbinesss. We arrived, exhausted from our trip at about 4 PM and had to be up at 4 AM the next morning to head for the airport. We had barely enough energy to grab a quick (and again delicious) bite downstairs and then head to bed. I dreamt all night about the long hot shower and hair-washing that would make a 4 AM wake-up call all worthwhile. Hop in the shower and, AGAIN, NO HOT WATER. None. I’d say it max’d out at room temperature. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice – you don’t get another chance. Without any time to allow anything constructive to be done about it, I reported the problem to the desk upon check-out. The receptionist’s comment? “Really. That is very rare.” No offer of concession. No offer to speak to a manager. Just a look of surprise and a rather weak apology. I assure you I know how to turn the hot water on – as I did just that on the first night of our first stay. So -- sorry – but NO HOT WATER TWO TIMES IN TWO STAYS A WEEK A PART is not “rare” to me! This is not some shanty in a developing country. This is a first class hotel in the most populace city in Ecuador. Hot water doesn’t seem a lot to ask. And for that reason (to coin a phrase you Shark Tank fans will know well) . . . I’m out. Failing some sort of appropriate explanation and/or apology from management, I will definitely suggest to my tour company that they take Oro Verde off of their list for land packages. That, or warn guests they may have to use the free in-room coffee maker to prepare water to bathe in!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canalcruiser
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Canalcruiser,

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of our shortcomings during your stay. I truly regret not only that we were not able to resolve the matter in an adequate and timely manner, but even worse, were not able to resolve the matter for your return stay. I assure and personally guarantee you the issue has been resolved.

I would be very grateful if you would be as kind as to contact me directly at my e-mail vbaselli@oroverdehotels.com so I personally address you valid observations.

Seville, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Do to an airline schedule change my wife and I were required to stay a night in Guayaquil and booked a room at Hotel Oro Verde. Since we did not have time to do our normal research we were not sure what to expect. I am please to say that our experience was wonderful. The property is clean, the rooms are very comfortable and the staff provided superior service.

Additionally, it has a good city location and they provide airport pickup.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Lucierochon1,

I am sorry to hear you had a delay in your return flight but have to say I am also happy to hear that that gave you the opportunity to stay with us and thank you for your sharing your kind review with the TripAdvisor community.