“Best ceviche I have ever had in my entire life”
Review of Mi Otavalito

Mi Otavalito
Ranked #6 of 70 Restaurants in Otavalo
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I went to Mi Otavalito with a group of 8 people. The food is probably a bit pricey by local standards (around $6 for ceviche and around $9 for steak with eggs and two sides). The ceviche, hands down (according to four people including a Columbian), was the best we have ever had in our entire lives. I also had the churrasco steak, which was topped with an egg and red sauce (as is local custom), served with fries and a very small amount of vegetables and salad. One person had the avocado soup, which was delicious as well, but was essentially thick pureed avocado with cream and spices, which could never be eaten by one person. We all shared it as a very delicious sauce. Everyone seemed to be happy with their food. I would definitely go back and I am sad that I may never find ceviche this good again.

1  Thank HappyTrails2U
There are newer reviews for Mi Otavalito

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I ate here and the food was not that good. Really. All of the customers were gringos - no locals. I don't know how it got all these positive reviews. Its overpriced for the quality of food. Try Taco Bello (no relation to Taco Bell) or Pizza Siciliana . Taco Bello is less than half the price and great food (and Margaritas) and Pizza Siciliana has great pizza and ambiance.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We went here with a large group of 20 people, and they were very accommodating. The menu had steak, chicken, fish and shrimp dishes, and were very reasonable (ex. $8.80 for the filet mignon). Over various times, I had the steak, chicken and shrimp and they were all very good (on a side note, they don't shell the shrimp, so it can be a little more work to eat). We enjoyed the meal so much, that we went back a second night and were surprised to find almost everybody in the restaurant had done the same thing, include a large group from Czechoslovakia. It took a little long to make all of our food, but when it came out, it was all hot and fresh. One of the things that made the time so enjoyable was the server who worked hard and quickly to take our orders and then serve our food when it was ready. I never saw her without a smile on her face. It definitely added to our time here.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Good food, nice atmosphere. Close to the market. No negatives to this one. Felt very welcoming there. Might be a bit over priced but not bad for a treat.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had dinner here a Friday night, the food was OK, not exceptional, but nothing to fault either. There was live music, but the ambience was a little lost, with 3 or 4 big tour groups. A good option in Otavalo, but you have to put up with the noise of the "gringo" tour groups.