“Enchanting home from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hosteria Rose Cottage

Hosteria Rose Cottage
“Enchanting home from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

I've just returned from a wonderful three-night stay at Rose Cottage over New Year's Eve and really didn't want to leave!

I stayed in Chimborazo house, a private cottage-style detached house with a fireplace, sofas, fully equipped kitchen and space to sleep 5 very comfortably. We were so impressed with the owner's attention to detail in decorating our house and the whole hostel. There were so many beautiful little touches that made us feel immediately at home.

The location is stunning with incredible views across fields and valleys. They've got an impressive mirador with hammocks, so after a hard day on one of the many local hikes or shopping at the market, you can relax here and watch locals ploughing fields with an ox and cart or star gaze in the evening. The grounds are beautifully maintained and full of flowers

Rose Cottage has a warm and welcoming atmosphere and it's a great place to meet people. Dinner's served at a long table and beers are plentiful! It has all the practical things you need like wifi access and deliciously hot showers, but is so much more. Rosa, the owner, has really made Rose Cottage feel like a home from home.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

I had the choice of coming here, or staying in Quito...and, I am so glad I came here! I planned to stay for one night, but stayed for two (and wanted to stay for longer!). The owner is great. If you are a vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, or whatever (or, a combination of special food needs) the owner will take great care to prepare food for you. I have a severe gluten allergy, and I am a vegetarian. I ate really well every night, and the dinners were really well-priced. For me, this would have been a selling point at any hostel, but the best thing about Rose Cottage was the location!
If you are a budget traveller, and you don´t have money for the $3 taxi ride into Otavalo, this is probably not the place for you (you can, however, walk). That being said, the three dollar taxi ride to this hostel IS worth it (and, I am a student in debt!). The view is outstanding, and the cottages are quite and well equipped.

The owner is also very warm and friendly. She arranged horseback riding for me, and I had planned to eat my own food for breakfast (since I would be waking up after the kitchen closed, and knew I would need food)... however, 15 mins before I had to go, I heard a knock on my cottage door. It was the owner telling me she had left some food out for me! It was really thoughtful of her, and I appreciated the extra attention. (However, if you are going horseback riding, and know how to ride horses, be sure to tell her to tell the organizers in advance... otherwise, you will be on a horse that is being guided by her walking neighbours! But, if you tell them, they will let you ride normally. I dont know how to ride horses, so this was fine with me!).

I didnt want to go at the end of my stay. There are so many neat things about this place... if I were staying in the country for longer, i NEVER would have stayed for only two days.

I am on the edge of giving this hostel an "excellent" review. However, there are a few minor things that are holding me back. First, I rely on the computer to stay in touch when I am traveling... but, the kitchen (where the computer was located) opens and closes a little randomly. If you have a computer, the wifi is 24-7 (only in the main building though, but you can go in 24-7). However, if you are trying to arrange a time to chat with someone, or need to use the computer a little bit outside of the kitchen´s open-closing hours, it is a bit difficult. I think there just needs to be a computer in the library. I know it risks getting stolen, but for the price of the hostel, I dont think it would be unreasonable to put a netbook in an area that is accessible all the time (or, at least, reasonably predictably accessible). So, if you really need internet for whatever reason, this is important to keep in mind (my smartphone had just been stolen in an upsetting situation, so I would have appreciated more of a chance to keep in touch).

Otherwise, this was a charming property with a lot of potential. I highly reccomend it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Caracas, Venezuela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

We recently stayed at Rose Cottage through connections who had highly recommended it from their experience last year. It was a great choice! The newly -installed wifi facility was certainly a bonus but above all, the friendliness of Richard one of Rosa's children was a real asset to us. He was helpful throughout the process - even when our flight was delayed for hours in Bogota and our pick-up had to be rescheduled from Quito. Very friendly and, as others have said, a lovely location with great little bungalows. Lupe is a good cook - even down to Shepherd's pie and she will only get better! We had lovely breakfasts and it was easy to see why people could stay longer than anticipated - if you had the time. Otavalo lies about a 45 minute walk (or a ride - we hitch-hiked) down in the valley. The great market - including the animal market too on Saturday includes the Shenandoah Pie shop and an array of stalls and shops in this booming town. We had first visited Otavalo 30 years ago when it really was an Indian market but having done that, Rose cottage, it's location and facilities meant that as a place to chill, it offers so much! Congratulations to Richard and his parents - great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

I arrived at Hosteria rose cottage just as dinner was being served up on a Friday evening-the food cooked here every evening is great-nutritious, really tasty and lots of it! I was immediately made to feel really welcome and my only regret is that my stay was not longer than 2 nights. Staff at the cottage are super friendly and really informed about the area and the many activities that you can involve yourself in. There is a real range of room types that suit all budgets; I had my own room above the restaurant area-clean and very comfortable and the shower down the hall was an absolute delight-really hot with brilliant pressure-coming from Quito this was a very welcomed and only made it more difficult to leave! The setting of the cottage is absolutely picturesque-in short-you will love this place!

Room Tip: Ask to see the different types of rooms-you are sure to find something that you like!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

We are a couple in our mid 20s and this is one of the best hostels we've stayed in while travelling South America for the past 8 months.
Very friendly Spanish speaking staff who are always happy to help, also the son of the owner was here during our stay, he is also very helpful (English guy) and went out of his way to show us local attractions. Very clean rooms, gorgeous views of Otavalo, $3 taxi to town, great food in the restaurant on site. We booked for one night and have been here for 4 nights and we still don't want to leave!

• Stayed October 2012
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

Me and my partner stayed at Rose Cottage for 6 nights in August 2012, far more than we had originally planned, allowing us to take advantage of the stay 5 nights and get the 6th free offer. We stayed in Cabana Cayambe ($30 a night), which is a small wooden chalet, perfect for a couple. The cabana is very cosy and comes with an electric heater.

The setting of the hostel is stunning, a bit like a postcard. It is surrounded by volcanoes and beautiful rolling green hills. We spent our days relaxing in the hammocks with a book or taking day trips to Mojanda lake, the leather town or to the Saturday animal market. The hostel will give you a free lift to the market on Saturday.

The hostel is a good walk from town but taxis are cheap at $3. I don't see the location as any kind of drawback as its the setting away from the town which kept us there for so many days. Food is available in the form of group meals ($6 for dinner including salad and dessert), which was very sociable and the food very tasty.

Wifi is available, along with a tv room with dvds.

Highly recommended!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

a beautifully situated hostal with charming little houses which look a bit like they've been photoshopped onto the horizon! ridiculously good food (in huge portions!) cooked by the ecuadorian manager/cook, Lupe, who was so friendly and made sure i was always happy. and the whole place is kept scrupulously clean by the giggly, cheerful cleaner, Martha. my stay overlapped with the stay of the ecuadorian owner, Rosa whose infectious eccentric personality always made me smile. Rosa's english daughter Rita was also staying when I visited and i couldn't have wished for better company- such a lovely bunch of people, am so glad i met them all. beautiful walks from the doorstep, wifi, tennis, millions of dvds, book swap, instruments to play, table tennis, and otavalo which is the FULL of artisans an incredibly pretty, freshy airy 1 hour walk away. the guest houses overlook spectacular views and are set on a beautifully manicured set of gardens, attended to by another ecuadorian lady who also helped out in the kitchen sporting a union jack apron which made me chuckle. if i could go back, i'd go without a second thought.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo