“Is This Heaven? No, It's The Rose Cottage.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hosteria Rose Cottage

and 1 more site!
Hosteria Rose Cottage
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Is This Heaven? No, It's The Rose Cottage.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at The Hosteria Rose Cottage for a total of 12 nights (after originally planning only a weekend stay) in March, 2014. Without exaggeration I can say that it’s one of the most wonderful places I’ve ever stayed in over 40 countries of world travel. If you go in with the right expectations (it’s NOT the Ritz-Carlton Hotel or your favorite Manhattan restaurant…..and a dog with muddy paws WILL jump on you), it’s not to be missed when travelling in this region.

Located on a mountainside a few kilometers ($3.00 cab ride) from Otavalo, the Rose Cottage setting is heavenly. Amongst abundant flowers and manicured lawns, you can sit on a hammock and gaze across endless hills, with several volcanoes visible on a clear day. It’s the kind of place where you can just chill for days or weeks at a time reading a few good novels….or writing one.

The place is owned by an Ecuadorian woman named Rosa, who splits her time between Ecuador and London. Fortunately she was at the Rose Cottage when I was there. At first she can be a bit bossy and abrupt, but after getting to know her she was a wonderful host. Her assistants are Carlos and Guadaloupe, who are delightful, but speak zero English. I’m not sure how the place runs when Rosa is absent.

Service-wise, they really went out of their way for me….opening the kitchen and cooking a late dinner on the night of my arrival, escorting me and other guests on a great day trip to Peguche Waterfall and Cotacachi Volcano and providing a free ride to the bus station on my departure. Again, not sure if any of this happens when Rosa is not there.

The accommodation at the Rose Cottage can range from a spacious private cabin to a mini cottage to private rooms and dorms. All that I saw looked absolutely charming, but I opted for a single room in the main building above the dining area for an amazing $15 per night. The room was simple, but clean and comfy and featured a view to die for. Bathrooms were spotless, but hot water wasn’t always consistent. WiFi was very good in my room and decent at my favorite hammock spot, but could be weaker further away from the main buildings.

Food at the Rose Cottage was simple, but excellent (for a budget style place) and served in the communal dining hall. A basic breakfast of tea/coffee, fresh juice, bread and jam is included…and I have to laugh at the reviews that complain about the free breakfast…it’s FREE for goodness sakes. For $3.00 more you can add an omelet or pancakes…which I did every day. A couple of dinner options were available each night for $7.00. I had spaghetti Bolognese pretty much every night until Rosa offered to go to the market and make me special meals of chicken, beef, etc. Included were potatoes, rice, salad and dessert.

As for activities, the main attraction is the famous Otavalo Saturday Market, which is a must see. Even on non-market days, Otavalo is a nice town to walk around. Nearby the Rose Cottage are several nice hikes, including Taxobamba Falls and a lovely alternative route into town. Further afield are many adventures including volcanos, lakes and waterfalls. On-site at the Rose Cottage is a tennis court which is in disrepair and pretty much useless and supposedly a television room…which I never saw because I didn’t come to someplace this beautiful to watch television. Really though, the best activity is just sitting with a dog (or two), smiling at a horse and enjoying the views. Just intoxicating!

I have to make a special mention of perhaps my favorite aspect of the Rose Cottage experience….the wonderful four-legged hosts. The property has a veritable petting zoo of animals (horse, donkey, sheep, dogs, etc) and for an animal lover they alone make a visit worthwhile. My favorite was the little white dog named Mattheo. The muddy pawed scoundrel followed me everywhere (and if he invites himself into your room you can blame me, as I let him sleep in my room on a few rainy nights). Also, while I was there, a skinny brown mutt followed me home one day and appeared to adopt the place as his new home (much to Mattheo’s disgust….he definitely didn’t want to share his territory!) I named the new dog “Santa’s Little Helper” and Rosa promised they would care for him after I left…so I hope he was smart enough to stick around and behave himself.

The only animal that seemed to be missing was the ubiquitous South American alpaca. So, Rosa said that if I stayed until the following weekend that she would buy an alpaca at the Saturday market---so I stayed, and she kept her promise. That day, after much bargaining, she bought a new alpaca we named “Prince Charming” as well as a little black sheep we named “Othello”. Certainly a once in a lifetime experience!

Anyway, I don’t usually write such long reviews, but the Rose Cottage is a magical place. It’s not the Ritz, but in the backpackers price category it’s hard to top. I always say that the world is so big that I don’t have time to visit anyplace more than once…..but someday I’ll return to the Rose Cottage. I love the place that much, and someday when I return I only hope that Mattheo and Santa’s Little Helper will be there to greet me, muddy paws and all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We only got to stay a night at this wonderful lodge. We rented the Rose Cottage and it is a very cute little place. The owner certainly try to make the cottage as welcoming as possible, with fresh flowers in the vase, free beer, snacks and pop in a basket. The view from the compound is simply gorgeous. Aside the owner, the rest of the staff speaks little to no English, but they are very helpful when you manage to communicate to them what you need.

The owner, Rose, is a wonderful Ecuadorian lady who lives oversea and is only at the cottage a few months a year. We were fortunate that she was around during our visit as she's a very nice lady with lot's of energy. She was very helpful to us even after we had checked out. We were hoping to visit Lake Mojanda, which is only 10km away from the cottage. Our car ended up getting stuck in the puddle mud about less than about 6km away from the village an hour before sunset. Long story short, my husband stayed behind with the car while I walked back to the hosteria and asked Rose for help. It was dark by the time I reached out for her, and she offered to drive me to the town to seek for a towing car. I was very scared and worried being stuck in a completely remote area with little Spanish speaking ability. Therefore, I was so relieved to see her, and extremely grateful to have her around to help us. Because of this episode, we get to know the owner and the place even more now and our trip to Otavalo will always be a memorable one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paramaribo, Suriname
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We felt very unwelcome here. There was no internet in the room en when we go to the empty restaurant they kicked us out and send us to a very small and cold library.
The included breakfast was very poor. You have to pay extra if you want a decent breakfast. The manager was screaming the whole day and not interested in the guests. I don't think she's the owner. We planned to stay for a week but left after two days. With a good manager or owner who loves the place this could be a beautiful place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Avondale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We enjoyed a memorable stay at Hosteria Rose Cottage. Carlos picked us up at the airport in Quito and SAFELY drove us to this adorable inn. He assisted us throughout our visit and made us very welcome

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Of all the places I visited in my four months, this was my favourite: warm Ecuadorian hospitality, breathtaking location / views across the Mojandita valley, extremely reasonable prices, terrific food, cosy single and dorm rooms.

Rose Cottage is a five min drive out of the centre of Otavalo and is an incredibly peaceful / tranquil place to reconnect with nature while you swing in one of Rosa's thoughtfully placed hammocks: from the surrounding emerald green hills and beautiful Ecuadorian evening skies to local bird life and the resident donkey, dog and horse.

Rosa (the owner who moved back to her home country of Ecuador from London to begin the small business), is not only the warmest and most accommodating host - she is also a lesson in living life joyfully. I left waving goodbye to my "Ecuadorian Mama" - she is such great fun!

I will never forget the special dinner (complete with the greatest group of local musicians playing traditional Otavalan folk music!) Rosa helped me plan to celebrate the wedding anniversary of my brother and sis-in-law.

I would recommend staying minimum three nights to truly relax and see all that Otavalo and the surrounding towns offer.

Room Tip: If you're travelling on a budget, the dorm is excellent value. Single / double rooms are extreme...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Our stay here was short but it still felt like home. The owner Rosa was fabulous and the location and grounds are stunning. Free breakfast and plenty of blankets provided for chilly nights. It takes about an hour to walk the scenic route into town, which was lovely. Definitely recommend this hostel.... oh and they have a llama

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We initially booked for 3 nights including the Saturday market. Breakfast is earlier that day and one of the staff drops you off at the animal market. Quite an experience this market. We ended up staying 6 nights.
We were captivated by the views and enticed into walking in the countryside and a trip to laguna Mojande is a "must do".

The owner and ALL the staff were all very welcoming and all trying to make us feel at home. Always having a smile ready.
We only ate one night in town and all the other meals were at the cottage restaurant and delicious.!

We will definitely recommend it to anybody we meet on our travels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple