“Muy Tranquilo”

Hosteria Rose Cottage
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We made a reservation for 2 nights and ended up staying 4! Don't let the out of town location dissuade you from staying. It's a 30min downhill walk into town and a $3 taxi ride back. Complimentary pick-up and drop-off service from/to the bus station is available. The owners know you are there to see the Saturday market and will gladly give you a ride down in the morning. While the setting is very relaxing activities such as hiking and tennis are available. We stayed in the spacious 8 person dorm. The comfortable beds are upstairs while downstairs is the TV/DVD player and kitchen. The bathroom was spotless and the water hot.

Richard, Sophie and Alex were gracious hosts and the dogs great fun to play with. I accompanied them to a carnival fiesta in nearby Peguche where we joined a wedding procession with a marching band and attended a concert for the indigenous population. The headliners were from Bolivia! It was a fantastic experience.

I hope to return sooner than later.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hosteria Rose Cottage

Reviewed 17 February 2010

My boyfriend and I are staying in Quito for a year and we wanted to plan our first get away out of the big city into something a little more peaceful. We found Rose Cottage online, looked at the pictures, and booked immediately. We were NOT disappointed!

This was one of the most beautiful settings to stay in. The staff were extremely helpful and more than accommodating. The food, the conversation, just everything was exactly how it should be for a weekend get-a-way.

Honestly, one of the best hostels I've stayed at in the world. If you're looking to slow down, enjoy good company, and really relax you should stay here. I know we'll be going back time and time again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Rose cottage was a great place to meet other travellers. The views were so stunning, the air so fresh. It was a pleasure to come somewhere where the pace of life is so much slower. I stayed in the spacious dorm and was pleased to find a single bed (no bunk beds!) I ended up staying several days longer than expected enjoying the hammocks an hiking around the area including to nearby secluded waterfalls. The dvds, board games and pinpong were great fun in the evenings and the food was delicious and good value. The only criticism would be that my taxi got lost on the way up and overcharged me. Also one day we were stuck in a raincloud and could not see a thing!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I stayed here in Otavalo recently with a large group of friends, and our experience couldn't have been better. The owners of the property were incredibly nice, helpful, and accommodating throughout our experience from booking over the phone to getting back to the bus terminal to head back to Quito. Not only did the owner picked us up personally at the bus station and bring us back to the Cottage, but he also gave us rides into town for the market on Saturday (which is probably why you're planning to go to Otavalo). We arrived mid-afternoon, and once we settled in, they even led us on a hike to a waterfall.

We rented out a whole house plus some rooms in the dormitory, and everything was comfortable and great. Some of us ate in their restaurant, which was delicious, and others were able to cook in the kitchens in the guests' houses. The houses have living rooms with TVs and an extensive DVD collection, which were great for relaxing after a long day of travel or being at the market. Also, there are plenty of hammocks and chairs around the property, from which you can get absolutely incredible views of the Andes.

This place could not have been cooler or more helpful. I highly recommend it for any traveler looking for an authentic experience (especially those who may want a break from Spanish).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Rose´s Cottage is perfect for anyone, families, backpackers, etc. The cottage is set on top a hill just outside Ottavalo (easy to enter the town within minutes) with fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. There are several hammocks placed around the cottage grounds that offer the perfect place for relaxing. The rooms are comfortable and extremely clean. There is even a room to watch DVDs while relaxing at night and a ping pong table in one of the common areas. During my stay, we even cleared out the tables in the kitchen for a free salsa lesson from a couple visiting from California.

Rose´s offers tours to surrounding sites, such as to Cuicocha Lake and Cotacachi. They also provide additional inside knowledge of the surrounding area, such as a beautiful waterfall only a 30 minute hike from the cottage, not frequented by other tourists.

I am unable to compliment the owners enough. Rosa and her family (Ecuadorian/British) give back to the local community. She has given some of her land to a local school, given donations to the school, and given writing/reading lessons for free to local residents. When we visited the Saturday Ottavalo market (a must do), Rosa drove us into town and pointed out some good places to eat. I lost my book in Canoa, so Rosa and her son Richard gave me the latest edition of the Economist for free. Richard even helped me chase down my bus to Banos (after Rosa and Richard gave me a free ride to Ibarra to get the bus!).

If you go to Ottavalo, do yourself and the local community a favor by staying at Rose´s Cottage!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I travelled around most of Ecuador, and genuinely felt that Rose Cottage was by far the most enjoyable part of my stay. It is the perfect hostel for its location - set high enough for fantastic, 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains, and with great owners, we were given inside knowledge (and even private tours!) of the less well known and thus particularly beautiful landscapes. The family run place gives a real sense of welcome, with the perfect mix of Ecuadorian effervescence and English geniality, help, advice, information and space were all there at the same time, whenever you needed it/them.

Great value, great food, an awesome balcony/platform(?) extending over into a deep valley (with incredible hammocks!) - I couldn't recommend it enough. With a selection of little and medium sized, rustic/chic style houses, the rooms are great, and I recommend getting involved with the occasional indoor table tennis - the family are pretty good!

It's quite far from the airport (2 hours I seem to remember), but the Otavalan people, their ancient tradition, cultural rarities like the animal market and general market, coupled with the scenic surrounding area make it a must for any trip to/around Ecuador.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I had the honour of being one of the first guests at Rose Cottage. I was expecting lots but was totally taken aback when i arrived.

The photos just dont do the views justice and no description can properly capture the great atmosphere. Otavalo itself is an incredible place with markets, beautiful buildings and killer scenery-an absolute must in S.America. The small ride up the hill into the community where Rose Cottage is based is a journey into the real Ecuador. Waking up to that view is something i´ll never forget.

Id recommend it to everyone, whether youré looking for quick getaway or someplace to chill for a while. Its almost worth flying out just to spend a week or so there. I was in the basic dorm and it was palacial. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo